Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: What are your impressions after a day of playing Guilds?  (Read 13047 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: What are your impressions after a day of playing Guilds?
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 09:58:43 am »

Sure, you can use both.

It's just that, especially if just one player hammers the IGG pile, it's more of a slog than a "rush". And in a slog, the lasting effect of Golds in your discard pile tend to become more important than one-shot Silvers.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 10:16:17 am »

I could have sworn there was a general consensus that IGG is generally kind of bad when not used in a Duchy-rush strategy, and therefore kind of bad in nearly any game with another Curser?

Also, what is this "one-shot Silver" stuff? It's a Silver that creates Coppers. There's nothing one-shot about it, particularly since Coppers are neutral cards in a situation where you're buying Duchies.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 10:24:56 am »

Because the IGG player often looks a bit silly when the Curses are gone and there are still a couple of IGGs left.
At this point he has little economy other than his one-shot Silvers and probably about the same amount of Curses.

With Soothsayer, not only have you given out Curses, but boosted your economy as well, enough to steal a Province or two over the IGG player who can only scramble for Duchies. Giving an extra card is not a huge deal in Curse games without a real engine. You boost the opponent's buying power for this hand by about ~$1 while boosting your long term buying power by that extra Gold.

There were a couple factors here:

1) Marauder added Spoils to my economy, and helped empty a third pile
2) OWB got a Soothsayer and ignored IGG, allowing me to pump many more Curses into his deck than he ever got into mine
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 10:50:13 am »

Well, I just referred to them as one-shot Silvers for the occasional Province you can get with a hand of 3 IGGs and 2 Coppers. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 11:53:24 am »

I could have sworn there was a general consensus that IGG is generally kind of bad when not used in a Duchy-rush strategy, and therefore kind of bad in nearly any game with another Curser?

Nope. IGGs are only weaker if you want to clean up your deck afterwards. It's often as easy to put a smithy type card with your IGGs than do anything really clever with your cursing attacks.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 01:37:14 pm »

I still can't say with any certainty, I've only played with soothsayer a few times.  Given another go on that board I'd probably try for the Soothsayer engine build again but that's just because I hate IGG and I think my build could've come together a bit better.    Watching the video I can really see the tradeoff to the +1 card on Soothsayer, it was huge for you a couple times.  Given my strategy I probably should've opened fishing village and hoped to get lucky for 5 on the second shuffle, that would've helped in the long run but I was hoping the silver would be the short term boost I needed and I could back into a couple fishing villages mid game(FV would also help with all the ruins, which I didn't really think about during my open).  I think once you go soothsayer you want to avoid IGG as each IGG purchased diminishes the value of the soothsayer in your deck - though losing the curse split 7/3 certainly isnt ideal.  Anyway, it is an interesting question, I'm curious what other people think?

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 08:34:28 am »

Finally had my first game with Masterpiece. The kingdom was very weak (bunch of villages and trashing, but no draw and no virtual money). So I decided to play Island-BM with Masterpiece silver flood. Pretty good.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.