Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What are your impressions after a day of playing Guilds?  (Read 13046 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
What are your impressions after a day of playing Guilds?
« on: June 14, 2013, 09:49:19 pm »
+3

Candlestick Maker
I suppose I'll state here that coin tokens are pretty awesome.  That said, I think I've been overbuying these guys a bit.  They are nice for pulling yourself out of a slog or for saving up alongside an aggressive early-game trasher such as Chapel, Mint, or Doctor.  And of course, one or two are often welcome simply for the nonterminal buy.

Stonemason
The on-buy is pretty awesome, especially in an engine.  As for the on-play, it isn't all that bad as a Copper/Curse/Ruins trasher since you are often buying it anyway to double up on engine pieces (so the opportunity cost isn't as steep).  Apart from Copper/Curse/Ruins, I found myself most often targeting Gold.  As I'll mention later, the Gold from Soothsayer was threatening to clog my engine until I began turning the Golds into pairs of engine pieces!

Doctor
A very fast early game trasher, but rather weak later.  More than any other card, Doctor breaks the symmetry between your first two hands (much stronger on 5/2 than 2/5).  Doctor is able to trash down your deck nearly as quickly as Mint or Chapel unless you are quite unlucky with your first couple of namings.  It does give you enough time to build up a bit of economy before your Coppers vanish, as opposed to opening Mint.  Later in the game, however, it becomes a much weaker trasher, particularly for handling Curses/Ruins or activating on-trash.  Its best use later seemed to be for peeking at and rearranging the top of my deck.

Masterpiece
I like this card a lot.  It appears to be a very potent Silver-flooder when you have some decent drawing power available like Smithy.  Taxman can trash the Masterpiece and topdeck a Gold.

Advisor
Ugh, this card reminds me of Spy with how much it can slow down a game while contributing so little.  I frequently had to choose between discarding their Silver or another Advisor.  I often discarded Silver, but I think that was wrong; those Coppers they picked up more than made up for it, and they got a lot of cycling.

Herald
I kept trying to get this to work, but it seemed to be as fragile as I feared.  It needs a board with 1) good trashing, 2) no junking or manageable junking, and 3) a reason for spending your $4 hands on Heralds rather than other engine pieces.  I haven't explored the on-buy effect much.  It gets pricy pretty fast!

Plaza
Not bad.  You are often willing to pay $4 for a vanilla village anyhow.  I had a cute game that involved playing several Merchant Guilds, buying three Coppers, and then next turn drawing my deck, discarding the Coppers to Plaza for coin tokens, trashing them with Doctor, and then buying three more with Merchant Guilds in play.

Taxman
A nice opener for attacking while transitioning Copper into Silver.  In the late game you can get some nice smoothing by trashing a treasure you don't need and topdecking an even better one for your next hand.  Contrast to Mine, which is generally only good early in the game since it's just a terminal Copper at the end.

Baker
The opening coin token is fun.  As for the card, it's petty nice.  Sure, there is often a more crucial $5 on the board, but those cards are often terminal.  After buying a Soothsayer or two, you are ready to start spending $5s on Baker.

Butcher
$5 is expensive.  I haven't really found this card so attractive yet.  When I did get it, I mostly turned Curses into Copper while saving the two coin tokens.  He's like a reverse Swindler.  A Reldniws?

Journeyman
Decent drawer.  Not much more to say, except that I often struggle to decide which card to name.

Merchant Guild
I had some fun going for Merchant Guild megaturns, but not being able to spend your coin tokens that turn is a real buzzkill.  Even if you save up a couple dozen coin tokens, there's something anticlimactic about piling up an additional twenty off the four Provinces you buy, but without ever being able to use them.  Anyhow, this is definitely no Goons.  Goons turns can take a long time to build up, but you have a few advantages:  1) The Goons attacks, slowing your opponent, 2)  you don't touch the Province pile, so your opponent needs to buy all 8 Provinces, 3) you end the game in one big megaturn, rather than needing effectively two consecutive megaturns (a tall order if you just bought 20 Coppers during the first megaturn!).

Soothsayer
I didn't expect the Golds to clog up my engine so much!  On the other hand, the Gold are really nice if you have some sort of trash for benefit card like Remodel, Salvager, or Stonemason.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:58:10 pm by SirPeebles »
Well you *do* need a signature...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: What are your impressions after a day of playing Guilds?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:32:32 pm »
+1

Candlestick Maker - the new Squire!  I've found myself buying the entire pile of these.  COINS COINS COINS COINS  I've found that Coin tokens are indeed quite good at rounding out your buys.

Stonemason - I have yet to buy this card, but the AI seems to love it.

Doctor - played Doctor/Baker game with SirPeebles.  Opened $6 Doctor on a 5/2 hand.  I had a 6-card deck by turn 3.  Awesome.

Masterpiece - have not tried this yet.  I think I want to try this with Feodum.

Advisor - I've stayed away from this one, and I think I will continue to until it's the only draw available.  It's basically PLEASE PILLAGE ME.  I feel sorry for it.

Plaza - not too shabby, though I haven't really used it that much.

Taxman - used it like, once?  But it got quite obnoxious having SirPeebles smack me with this turn after turn.  Was really messing with my hand/Coin token planning.

Herald - Hit and miss.  I would only recommend if you have Scrying Pool conditions, and I would choose Scrying Pool over this in that case.  I mean, once you've Scryed, there's nothing to Herald anyway.

Baker - Me likey, for the same reasons as Candlestick Maker, though the lack of +Buy makes me sad.  I've noticed that Coin tokens are quite excellent in non-+Buy conditions, though, as excess Coin tokens are just saved for barren hands.  And of the course the setup really is just crazy.

Butcher - played a couple games with it.  It's not something you'd get en masse, but throwing one or two into your deck is rather nice.  Do I save the Coin tokens for a purchase, or for an extra nice Butchering?

Journeyman - looooooovvveeeee.  Just keep track of what crappy card you have the most of in your deck. 

Merchant Guild - I think this might be my favorite of the set, and I'm definitely going to write an article on it (DIBS) once I've played a bit more with it.  With Goons, you always have to weigh whether or not you want to buy Coppers to pump up your VP, since Goons does best in engine conditions, and Copper just clogs you up.  But Coin tokens are just money, and the more you have, the less you have to worry about clog.  I think that buying extra Coppers with MG in play is almost always the right move.  Sure, they'll clog you up, but you won't mind all that much.

Soothsayer - I approve.  I love it when I don't have to think about buying Gold.  The extra card would seem to present a problem, but doesn't all that much, in point of fact.  Of course, combining this with Militia or a variant is optimal.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 02:02:09 pm »

Candlestick Maker - Pretty good strong $2. However, I think most decks should only have a couple unless you are going for some sort of coin-token strategy.

Stonemason - My favorite card of the set. I don't think I have it figured out, but I love playing it. On engine boards, this card is insane.

Doctor - I always open with this even on a $4. I think this might be the second best trasher in the game just behind Chapel.

Masterpiece - Good in the right kind of deck. A nice card if you aren't going for an engine or combo deck.

Advisor - Really sucks unless you have a real nice engine going

Plaza - Decent, but more often than not, getting a coin token made little difference since I would spend it the turn I got it.

Taxman - This is a tricky card. As an attack, I think it is decent, but requires some level of planning.

Herald - Haven't bought it that much yet. I'm thinking it is an average $4, but maybe I just haven't cracked this card yet.

Baker - The starting coin token is awesome. Otherwise, it is pretty much a Peddler that lets you save your coin token for later. I would say it is average except for the fact that getting that coin token can really change the game.

Butcher - This card is pretty awesome

Journeyman - Pretty good drawer. This goes very well in BM decks.

Merchant Guild - I need to experiment and play with it more. Was nice on a Vineyards board though.

Soothsayer - Strong curser is strong. I would say this is just behind Witch and Mountebank for power level. Cultist might also be a notch above it. But, it is among the power $5 cards.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 02:22:18 pm »

Candlestick maker : Good, but I don't see it like a power card, it might be a little bit overrated. Otherwise, fun. Oh, and the artwork is ugly ^^

Stonemason : I sill haven't tried it, and from the beginning it's the card that interests me the most. I had the same problem with Dark Ages (Knights)... the odds are against me.

Doctor : Awesome early trasher but I don't like the random effect. If I name copper, I reveal estates. If I name estates, I reveal coppers. Odds are against me.

Masterpiece : Haven't tried it either.

Advisor : People have a very definite position about this card. I think it can be crazily good in the right engines, and a good opening card usually, but it can be very bad also.

Plaza : A simple village actually, interesting because it can save money you don't want to spend, but with no coppers in your deck, it don't help very much.

Taxman : Hum, I don't know, not an easy card, definitely. I would probably want no more than one in my deck.

Herald : I haven't used it very much, but I have seen someone (Dubdub ?) building a nice goons engine with it.

Baker : Really like it, simple and effective, and I like how the starting coin is game-changing.

Butcher : I think this is awesome. You have so much options playing with, definitely one of the best $5 non-attack. Also, I love it as far as I hate the card art.

Journeyman : Another very good card, really like the decisions it gives. It's clearly more interesting and funnier than it seems on paper.

Merchant guild : And, another fun card. I only used it with quarry and it was amazing, but I guess in general it's not so good, although decent.

Soothsayer : Not my favourite of the set, quite frankly. I like that as a curser, it have a small bonus for the opponent. I hope it's a more balanced curser than witch or mountebank, which are really too powerful IMO.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 02:34:10 pm »

Candlestick Maker
Strong $2 card, but sort of a trap if you get them en masse without a real plan.  Nonterminal +Buy for $2 without a drawback is great.

Doctor
Much more dependent on shuffle luck than I expected.  I still haven't pulled off a fabled Mint-like mega-overpay, which is probably pretty good if you can get it to work.

Masterpiece
Very strong in BM if my experience is any indication.  I ran an Advisor+Masterpiece deck that went pretty well.

Advisor
I care a little less about the risk than I do with Envoy since it's nonterminal.  Nowhere near as strong when you get a good draw of cards, but if your opponent has a tough choice to make based on limited information about your hand (e.g. Goons or Mountebank?, Village or Smithy?) this is quite good.

Herald
The play effect seems dandy as long as you have a high action density, but nothing worth getting excited over in most games.  The overpay effect seems better at the $1-3 level than a big stack, since if you hit 8 or 9 you probably want Province or Platinum anyway.

Taxman
I think this is pretty weak (but potentially a good tradeoff for the attack) early in the game so far, but I played a game where I trashed Gold later on and screwed my opponent out of a good buy (Getting the Gold back on my deck for next turn).  High skill attack card, IMO.  With card counting, probably quite good.

Baker
Love the new dynamic this adds to the game.  Not much else to say about it.

Merchant Guild
This seems pretty darn powerful to me after a few plays.  True, it only helps you on the next turn, but it's surprising how often a single token can make a difference.  The on play effect could be a lot worse.

Soothsayer
It's a Curser, it's good.  It's true you don't like your opponent drawing a card, but if they have no way to fight the Curses or use them somehow (e.g. Warehouse) then it stops being a drawback at some point.  Meanwhile you're gaining Gold.  Probably one of the worse Cursers, but that's not saying a whole lot.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 02:51:32 pm »

I pulled off a Candlestick Maker/Highway megaturn. Highway needs the +buy (non-terminal is better), and saving up coin tokens lets you buy your engine components when you've brought the price down.

I used Herald with Wandering Minstrel in a Highway/Workshop game. WM really helps making sure the Heralds draw Workshops and play Highways; without WM, though, I would probably skip Herald, because it's important to play them in the right order.

I got flattened by Wandering Winder's Plaza/Torturer chain, which left me with 7/3 of the Curses and slowed down the game enough for him to collect a whole lot of Coin tokens. He only needed to get a few +buys in to pull off his megaturn.

Taxman seems better than Cutpurse; Soothsayer seems to be about as good as Witch.

I tried to do a Rats/Baker/Butcher engine, using Baker's Coin tokens to Butcher Rats->Province, but while it was very thematic, it wasn't fast enough.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 02:57:40 pm »

Candlestick Maker
I suppose I'll state here that coin tokens are pretty awesome.  That said, I think I've been overbuying these guys a bit.  They are nice for pulling yourself out of a slog or for saving up alongside an aggressive early-game trasher such as Chapel, Mint, or Doctor.  And of course, one or two are often welcome simply for the nonterminal buy.

Herald
I kept trying to get this to work, but it seemed to be as fragile as I feared.  It needs a board with 1) good trashing, 2) no junking or manageable junking, and 3) a reason for spending your $4 hands on Heralds rather than other engine pieces.  I haven't explored the on-buy effect much.  It gets pricy pretty fast!
I'm still just playing full-random games, and these two came up somewhat frequently, along with Butcher.

I had a decent card-draw engine (not whole-deck) and I looved having lots of CandlestickMakers.  I had 3 or 4 and definitely was wondering if I wouldn't have done even better with more.  When I started unleashing the coin-tokens for double-province and duchy-province turns back to back to back, the game was sealed.

As for Herald, I think you hit it spot on.  One board had a cute engine, but everytime I would have 3-5 (i had coin tokens if I wanted to bump it up to 4, or overpay) I found myself wanting another engine piece much more than Herald.  The second board didn't have an engine, so I found myself avoiding Herald because I didn't have the action-density needed.

As for Butcher, that is a fun card.  Just plain fun.  I'll probably overbuy it as I figure out exactly how to use it, but I'm ok with overbuying it, simply because of the joy I get in playing it.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 08:22:17 pm »
+3

This set is nuts. Absolutely nuts. I spent one game building an engine that hoarded Coin tokens and then slammed the Duchy pile plus the last Province in one turn to win by 2. With surplus +Buys, you can use 8 Coin tokens as essentially a set-aside Province, keeping it out of your deck and waiting to buy it until you can empty the pile.

There are a lot of players who are going to start to look like Marin playing with this set. I wonder if it will cause them to start thinking like Marin too. I think we'll see a few more players enter the upper echelon thanks to this set--I can only hope I'm one of them.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:32:01 pm by Stealth Tomato »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 01:22:47 am »

This set is nuts. Absolutely nuts. I spent one game building an engine that hoarded Coin tokens and then slammed the Duchy pile plus the last Province in one turn to win by 2. With surplus +Buys, you can use 8 Coin tokens as essentially a set-aside Province, keeping it out of your deck and waiting to buy it until you can empty the pile.

There are a lot of players who are going to start to look like Marin playing with this set. I wonder if it will cause them to start thinking like Marin too. I think we'll see a few more players enter the upper echelon thanks to this set--I can only hope I'm one of them.

Then what will Marin become?

dudeabides

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: dudeabides
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 08:50:40 am »
+1

Then what will Marin become?
SuperMarin
jsh357: the dude doesn't need to explain himself

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 12:54:54 pm »

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130616/log.505cc11ea2e6483e027bc556.1371401528670.txt

Soothsayer is quite nice in slogs, the Golds were pretty helpful. (I know this is against a bot that did not play as well as WW or Stef do).

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 06:12:10 pm »

ok here we go:

Candlestickmaker: strong card for $2 coin tokens provide so much flexibility. I think paying more than $3 for those is usually not so much worth it if there are not certain alt-vp cards like gardens and vineyards. But always nice to have some.

Doktor: hard to say at the moment. I did only play one game with this card. Decent trashing early on best probably on 5/2 start using overpay, but really weak later on so i think i'd prefer some of the common trashers masquerade, steward etc.

Masterpiece: nice silver flooder, probably really strong with feodum maybe even more effective than trader. Goes very well in terminal draw BM like Envoy-BM.

Stonemason: Didn't meet this card yet.

Advisor: I already predicted it would usually be a weak card and i find it even weaker it takes too long to set up an engine involving this card. But i can imagine it going well with masterpiece BM.

Plaza: Not a bad village. I found myself discarting a treasure about half of the times i played it. But i think not the best $4 village.

Taxman: A little bit better than i thought it would be, but still passable most of the time. The attack is probably even the strongest part of the card, while mine is at least a terminal copper in the current turn this being a "negative" copper or silver doesn't help much. More than one of those is totally unnessecairy if you are not running a complex engine playing more than one every turn.

Herald: Very situational. If there is not much trashing i expect this card to be bought mainly for the overpay effect. Can set up combos e.g. with KC beautifully. Some kind of golden deck strats might be possible with this.

Baker: Solid card, really simple. As coin tokens are really good this is often the obvious choice on $5 later (after buying one or two copies of the central $5 terminal). The one starting token changes the game really much.

Butcher: I expected it to be much stronger than remodel but i find myself spending most of the coin tokens at every use of butcher most of the time. High opportunity costs.

Journeyman: Really nice drawer i think better than catacombs most of the time.

Merchant guild: I bought it once but i would have prefered a bridge most time when i played it. I dont think i will buy this card often.

Soothsayer: I didn't have a game with it yet.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 01:23:52 am »

Plaza: Not a bad village. I found myself discarting a treasure about half of the times i played it. But i think not the best $4 village.
Why not discard a treasure? Unless you're making a Copper miss a reshuffle or don't have any Coppers in hand, you should always discard a treasure.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 03:08:08 am »

Candlestick Maker:
Seems to be a good $2, largely because Coin tokens are really helpful. However, I feel people tend to overvalue the card. Buying tons of Candlestick Makers is probably only viable on really good engine boards, but otherwise it's just a show stopper due to the lack of carddraw.

Doktor:
Well, it's quite nice early on, and probably also useful in engines later with sufficient +actions where you can either trash junk or re-order cards. But meeh... it's terminal, it doesn't get you any direct benefit... so yeah, it's ok, but I'm not soooo excited about it.

Masterpiece:
Better than I expected, but no power card of course. Has some nice synergy with Advisor/Envoy because it provides a very homogeneous deck, and it's probably nice in money strategies where you don't want to hit $5 - sort of like the new (probably a bit better) Cache.

Stonemason:
Awesome for engines. Hit an early $8? Just get a Stonemason and two Nobles. So the overbuy effect can be really strong. The trashing... well, it trashes Coppers and Curses, but the main effect is the endgame potential (Gold => 2 Duchies). A tricky card, but relatively strong I think.

Advisor:
Often this one is quite weak because it just draws all your junk. However, its cost makes it possible to get LOTS of it (via Ironworks etc.) and then it's not so bad - I mean even if you draw mostly crap, TONS of crap provides some nice buying power too. On the other hand, in trimmed decks with very few bad cards Advisor can be REALLY strong.

Plaza:
A good village, also because the discard is optional. Great with Watchtower-like drawing cards, fine otherwise.

Taxman:
The cards has two main effects: Mining plus Cutpursing early (including Cutpursing yourself... which is sort of a drawback), and some Courtyard/Mandarin thing later. Everything without direct benefit (even the opposite). I'm not convinced.

Herald:
This needs some work, but like Menagerie - once it running it's great. So for engines Herald is a good support, otherwise it's useless. The overpay effect is not so hot... I mean, it's expensive and usually in decks where Herald shines you don't need to set up turns.

Baker:
Good card, probably slightly better than its Market/Treasure siblings.

Butcher:
Probably one of the stronger cards in Guilds, but this one needs some more experience. But saving coins for later big Remodel/Expand plays can be extremely stong.

Journeyman:
I feel this one is way better for Big Money than for engines. In good engines it's often just a Smithy.

Merchant guild:
Another engine card, especially for when you want to get lots of cheap components. But well, you need to buy at least two cards per turn to make it worthwhile. So, on certain boards this is AWESOME, on other totally useless. I like it.

Soothsayer:
What's interesting is that it sort of works against itself. Usually the +card for the opponent shouldn't be a big deal because in Cursing games this cards will be crap anyway. With Soothsayer however, it gains you Golds, so in Curse wars your deck isn't as bad as it would be with other curses, and the +card can really help. So in Soothsayer games you tend to feel that Cursing isn't that bad after all, but you should really get a Soothsayer yourself to experience this feeling.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 06:38:22 am »

Why not discard a treasure? Unless you're making a Copper miss a reshuffle or don't have any Coppers in hand, you should always discard a treasure.
Spice Merchant, Stables, Counterfeit, Moneylender. Or any trasher, even. Also if your Treasure is not a Copper...

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 06:44:32 am »
+1

I played money because I thought, no good trashing, no reliable village, no reliable draw... my opponent trashed his whole deck down with Doctor very quickly, a deck full of Action cards makes Herald a 100% village, and then whatever I denied his Advisors, he drew his whole deck twice every turn (Outpost...). The payload was just a lot of Candlestick Makers. I lost.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 03:11:21 am »

man its a real shame Stonemason only lets you get two Actions instead of two non-victory cards. I thought SM + FG (or rather, SM+FG/Silver) would be a brilliant 4/3 opening but only wound up getting three stonemason which clearly didn't help :-[

coin tokens are fun though

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 03:16:58 am »

Plaza:
I played with this and Watchtower. Discard Treasure, get Coin, draw up to 6, very nice combo.
If you're at the end of your deck, like with Hamlet, you can keep discarding the same Treasure.

Butcher:
A very nice utility card. I played a game with this and Rats. Trashing Rats for another $4 (Mining Village) and saving those coins can be pretty useful.

Soothsayer:
Well, it's a Curser and therefore you can't really skip it often. Probably on par with Mountebank.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 06:35:21 pm »
+3

From the Secret Histories for DA:

Market Square: Once Intrigue had the top half. By the time I was working on Intrigue for publication, it didn't seem worth a slot. I brought it back here because I needed a simple top for the reaction. Before that I tried the reaction paired with Fool's Gold's top.

Originally the reaction was, you could trash this to gain a Gold when one of your cards was trashed. Time has shown that gaining a Gold is not as awesome as it looks (btw spoilers), and I eventually got around to testing the stronger version that made it into the set.

I wonder if this was a hint about Soothsayer.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 07:12:37 pm »
+1

Plaza:
I played with this and Watchtower. Discard Treasure, get Coin, draw up to 6, very nice combo.
If you're at the end of your deck, like with Hamlet, you can keep discarding the same Treasure.

Butcher:
A very nice utility card. I played a game with this and Rats. Trashing Rats for another $4 (Mining Village) and saving those coins can be pretty useful.

Soothsayer:
Well, it's a Curser and therefore you can't really skip it often. Probably on par with Mountebank.

Just played a game with Obi Wan Bonogi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf1K9TLrOA8

Seems IGG beats Soothsayer, at least when Marauder can empty a second pile.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 07:48:45 pm »

man its a real shame Stonemason only lets you get two Actions instead of two non-victory cards. I thought SM + FG (or rather, SM+FG/Silver) would be a brilliant 4/3 opening but only wound up getting three stonemason which clearly didn't help :-[
You probably don't want three of them, but at least when you play Stonemason, you can turn Silver into two Fools Golds and still probably buy another one.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 08:47:38 pm »

Plaza:

Butcher:

Soothsayer:

Just played a game with Obi Wan Bonogi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf1K9TLrOA8

This game reinforces my belief that Soothsayer>IGG in general.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 09:28:10 pm »

Plaza:

Butcher:

Soothsayer:

This game reinforces my belief that Soothsayer>IGG in general.

How so?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 06:33:16 am »

Because the IGG player often looks a bit silly when the Curses are gone and there are still a couple of IGGs left.
At this point he has little economy other than his one-shot Silvers and probably about the same amount of Curses.

With Soothsayer, not only have you given out Curses, but boosted your economy as well, enough to steal a Province or two over the IGG player who can only scramble for Duchies. Giving an extra card is not a huge deal in Curse games without a real engine. You boost the opponent's buying power for this hand by about ~$1 while boosting your long term buying power by that extra Gold.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 09:53:10 am »

Because the IGG player often looks a bit silly when the Curses are gone and there are still a couple of IGGs left.
At this point he has little economy other than his one-shot Silvers and probably about the same amount of Curses.

But you still play the IGG's as silver each time instead of waiting for a gold in the discard pile. I'm guessing you'd want to play this like other multiple cursing games: one soothsayer then buy iggs. Both cursers are weaker when are both in the supply but that doesn't stop you using both for a stronger combined effect.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.