Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Create a card inspired by another game  (Read 33800 times)

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
Create a card inspired by another game
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:03:50 pm »

With the release of promo card Governor, we now have two Dominion cards directly inspired by other board games. The aforementioned Governor contains mechanics seen in Puerto Rico, while Walled Village has a little inspiration from Carcassonne. Now, it's our turn.

In this topic, I want you to have some fun and create Dominion cards inspired by mechanics and themes from other games. They can be anything from BGG favorites (Twilight Struggle, Agricola, Brass) to well-regarded classics (Settlers of Catan, Go, Acquire) to mainstream hits that BGG despises (Monopoly, Candy Land, LCR). Heck, if you want, go with RPGs or video games or even sports as an inspiration.

Also, don't be afraid to take inspiration from a game already used by another person. Just because there is already one Caylus-inspired card on here, it doesn't mean there can't be two.

Here are three to get started.

ROBBER
---
+1 Buy
Each other player with more than 3 cards in his hand must discard half of the cards in his hand (rounded down). The player to your left discards the top card of his deck. If it's an...
-Action card, +2 Actions
-Treasure card, +$2
-Victory card, +2 Cards
The player to your right names a card. You cannot buy that card this turn.
--
Action/Attack - $3

This card is obviously inspired by Settlers of Catan. I have no idea what price would be good for this, but the point of this topic is not to be so serious. We can get serious with these ideas if we want, but it's not required.

SCRABBLER
---
Reveal your hand, then reveal cards from your deck until you have seven revealed cards total. Spell a legal English word using any number of the first letters of the cards revealed. If you do, gain a card costing up to the combined cost of the cards used to spell the word. If you use all seven cards, also gain a Province. Discard the cards revealed from your deck.
--
Action - $5

This is definitely a sillier idea, but what do you expect from a card inspired by a word game?

DRAGON PUNCH
---
+$2
Each other player with more than 4 cards in his hand reveals his hand, then discards the most expensive card revealed.
-
When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, he reveals his hand, then discards the most expensive card revealed.
--
Action/Attack/Reaction - $4

To show that video games and whatnot are okay, here's a Street Fighter-inspired card. Definitely needs work, but that's okay.

Have fun!

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: Create a card inspired by another game
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 12:47:56 pm »

Wow, Scrabbler.  I would seriously start buying more cards that start with vowels if that was on the board. :P

I think Robber should target "more than four cards in hand" rather than more than three, but otherwise nice.

Here's one, I'm sure many of you can guess the game.

WARGAMES
Action-Curse
$10
When you play this card, the game ends immediately.
This card is worth -6 VPs.

Alternative wording: "when you buy this card..."

Useful for cutting short a game where you're leading but your opponent has the engine to catch up.  Probably much better in Colony games.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Thinkaman

• Chancellor
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 01:12:12 pm »

Outbreak (Action, $6)
+4 Diseases
This game is now cooperative.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 01:57:45 pm »

Hot Potato - $4
Action-Curse

-5 VP
When you play this card, pass it to the player on your right.
If you trash this card, you gain 3 Curses.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 02:16:26 pm »

Sow Grain - $5
Action - Duration

+1 Action
+1 Card

You may place this card on your Field mat. If you do, place one non-victory card from your hand costing up to $3 on top of this card, and two copies of that card from the supply on top of it.
At the start of each of the next three turns, move the top card of this pile into your hand.
If this pile is empty apart from this "Sow Grain" at the bottom of it, move the Sow Grain to your discard pile immediately.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 02:25:53 pm »

Hotel - $3
Victory - Reaction

Worth 1 VP for every 2 hotels in your deck. Reaction, when any player gains a hotel you can return this card to the supply and acquire a gold.

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 02:35:47 pm »

I designed a card called "Feast or Famine" in MLB Showdown, (which was in and of itself an homage to a Magic card)...here is the Dominion version:

I also designed an MLB Showdown card called "Change it Up", this card was a very basic pitching cantrip or a simple filter mechanism, its variant in Dominion would probably be a 2$ card, something like:

Winds of Change
Choose one:
Discard this card and one other card in your hand, +2 Cards
or
+1 Card, +1 Action

I designed a lot of MLB Showdown cards in 2003-2004, (I was not responsible for many of the broken ones before that), several I designed worked on re-rolls of specific results. I struggled to think of the equivalent in Dominion but came up with:

Five Finger Discount
Choose a card already in play, return that card to your hand.

It kinda breaks the mechanics of Dominion, but essentially it would let you pull that Village you already played and let you play it again. It's essentially a more powerful Throne Room, in that you can draw it later in your turn and still use it on your most powerful card in play. Non-terminal cards that draw or filter could draw it and you could then play the non-terminal card again.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 02:41:22 pm »
+2

go fish - 5$

reveal a card from your hand.  if the player to your right has a copy of that card in his/her hand, they pass it to you.  if not, +1 card.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 02:54:04 pm »

JUGGLER
Action
$5
+1 Card
+1 Action

Man, it's been way too long since I've played Princes of Florence.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 02:59:21 pm »
+1

War - Action
$4

+1 Card
+1 Action

You and the player to your left both reveal the top card of your deck. The player who revealed the card with the higher cost puts both cards into their discard pile. If both cards have the same value, return the cards to the top of their decks.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 03:07:21 pm by jonts26 »

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 03:15:22 pm »

Global Thermonuclear War
Action $5

Put away Dominion. Play a nice game of chess, instead.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 03:23:20 pm »

How to turn Dominion into Fluxx:

Tornado -- Action/Attack -- $5

Collect the hands of each player who did not invalidate your attack.  Add your hand.  Shuffle the cards and, starting with yourself, deal the cards equally to each player whose cards were collected.

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 03:57:03 pm »
+1

Monopoly
Action: $2
+$2
While this is in play, when you gain a Kingdom card from the Supply you may put your Monopoly token on the pile you gained it from if it does not have a Monopoly token on it already. If you do, trash this card.
----
When any other player gains a card from the pile with your Monopoly token on it, you draw one card.

I think this could make for a fun Embargo variant and is kind of true to the idea of Monopoly (when someone lands on a square you own, you get paid). It may be too weak as described, between (a) self-trashing, (b) only one Monopoly token per person, and (c) limiting it to Kingdom cards—I could remove one or more of those stipulations and bump it up to say $4 or $5.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 04:21:08 pm »

Stratego
Action - Attack - $4

+2 Card
Reveal a Card from your hand.
Each other player must reveal the card on top of their deck.
Discard the card(s) with the highest cost.
Trash all other remaining revealed cards.

The formulation is bad I know, but I think you get it.
You can trash your curses and coppers or trash Provinces with your Colony.
With that card in play, that would be a very frustrating game.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 05:34:56 pm »

This is awesome. Thanks for all of the posts already. Keep it up!

CANDY LAND
---
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck, then reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a card with the same color as the first card revealed. Put both cards into your hand, then discard the rest.
--
Action - $5

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 05:40:38 pm »

Basic Quiddity - $0
Treasure

Roll 1d6. This card is worth $2 if you roll a 6, else this card is worth $1.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 06:06:02 pm »

Based on 7 Wonders, obviously.

The 8th Wonder - $7
Victory

At the end of the game, this card is worth 1 VP for every different card type mentioned in your deck.

FAQ: Its minimum worth is 1 VP if you'd only have this (and other regular VP cards) in your deck. Its maximum worth is 8 VP (Treasure, Action, Attack, Reaction, Victory, Duration, Curse and Prize). Cards with multiple types (Action - Attack - Prize, Treasure - Victory, etc..) count once for ALL those types. It's not like Followers is one type only, since there is only one Action-Attack-Prize. So if you'd have Followers, Haven, Fool's Gold, a regular Curse and this card, you get the maximum VP.

This is basically a Duchy in normal games with only Treasure, simple Actions and VP cards, but becomes 4 VP easily if you have even a single Attack card. After that, you can instantly increase its value again by buying a single Curse or a simple Reaction card. Its maximum value will often be limited by certain cards not being available. And you finally don't have to sigh anymore if you strike out with $7!

Some games may lend themselves to strategies being built around this card. You could always pick these up if you have enough different types already, or you could willfully buy different types (even a single Curse) just to increase its value. It may provide an extra reason to buy that lousy Reaction card in a 2p game.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 06:22:45 pm »

Research, Action $6

+1 Card
+1 Action

While this card is in play, every other action card played gains one of the following:  +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, or +1 Coin.  The same bonus must be applied to every action played.

Based loosely on generalized research from the Civ series (or any other 4X game you want)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Karrow

• Baron
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 06:30:11 pm »

ROBBER
---
+1 Buy
Each other player with more than 3 cards in his hand must discard half of the cards in his hand (rounded down). The player to your left discards the top card of his deck. If it's an...
-Action card, +2 Actions
-Treasure card, +$2
-Victory card, +2 Cards
The player to your right names a card. You cannot buy that card this turn.
--
Action/Attack - $3

I'm unoriginal and am stealing your idea.

Promo-Card.  Comes with a little robber figure, same as from Settlers.

ROBBER
---

Gain a kingdom card from the supply.

Move the Robber Token to that pile

--
While the Robber Token is on a card, no card of that name can be bought, gained, played, or trashed.  If another card requires it to be played, trashed, or gained, it goes to the the card owners discard pile instead.

Setup:  Place the Robber token on the Curse pile. 

Action - $4

Rule Note (I'm sure I'm wrong and this would need re-wording, but this explains my intent):  "Kingdom" supply piles are the randomized supply piles including bane.  Other supply piles used every game (copper to province), and special non-randomized piles (prize to colony) are not kingdom supply piles.  Curse is not a kingdom card even though the Robber starts there.  The Robber can not be placed back onto the Curse pile once moved off.

I love it!  Using it always gives you a dead card.  You can not gain from an empty supply pile, so empty pile cards become immune.  And Curses can not be given out until the Robber is moved.

You could use a Robber to gain a Robber.  You then have at least two dead cards in your deck for the rest of the game, but if your opponent have more Robbers than you it may be a smart move.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 06:36:19 pm »

Based on 7 Wonders, obviously.

The 8th Wonder - $7
Victory

At the end of the game, this card is worth 1 VP for every different card type mentioned in your deck.

Although I like this card idea, I don't quite see what it has to do with 7 Wonders?

(A more obviously 7 Wonders–based idea might be:

<b>Mausoleum</b>
Action: $6
Look through your discard pile. Choose an Action from it and play it immediately.

...Sort of a Golem–Counting House–Inn hybrid.)

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 06:40:55 pm »

Ooh, another 7 Wonders idea:

<b>Gardeners' Guild</b>
Victory: $4
At the end of the game, add the number of cards in the deck of the player on your left to the number of cards in the deck of the player on your right. This card is worth 1VP per 20 cards in that sum.

Obvious extensions of the concept include Winemakers' Guild and Silk Merchants' Guild.

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 11:33:22 pm »

Feed the bunny
Action-Attack-Duration 5$

At the beginning of their turn, each other player must discard a treasure and a victory card, or gain a curse and a copper on top of their deck.

Inspired by Killer Bunnies, of course. Probably a terrible card.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 11:38:23 pm »
+1

Risk
Action-Duration          6
At the beginning of every one of your turns, draw a card and you may return 3 curses from your hand to the supply. If you do, +5 cards
Whenever you buy a victory card, gain a curse.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 12:13:21 am »
+1

Diplomat
Action - Attack - $3

After you play this card, spend 8 hours scribbling secret messages and backstabbing your opponents to determine who wins.

Saucery

• Thief
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 12:23:32 am »

Citadels

Bell Tower
Action
Cost: 7
+$3
+3 VP
When you buy or gain this card, choose a supply pile and move the Bell Tower token to it. The game does not end if that Supply Pile is emptied (while the token is on it).
There is only one Bell Tower token in the game and it can be moved.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.