Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Create a card inspired by another game  (Read 33795 times)

Smithe

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Create a card inspired by another game
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2012, 12:24:21 pm »

Ok. I thought by being a duration and having an effect while it is out it would have a reason to be out. Or does a duration need a "next turn" event so that it eventually gets discarded?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2012, 12:26:00 pm »

Duration cards stay out until the cleanup phase of the last turn in which they do something. If they do something "while this is in play", then that doesn't really effect the last turn in which it does something because it just does that until it is cleaned up. Lighthouse stays out until the next turn because it gives you $1 on your next turn, and I believe Donald X has said somewhere on these forums that it initially didn't have that, and so it didn't work as planned because it would be cleaned up before it had a chance to protect you.

This is the same reason why Tactician gets cleaned up immediately if you do not discard anything to it. It only has a next turn effect IF you discard something. If you don't, then this turn is the last turn that it does something, so it is cleaned up.

On the contrary, it's even theoretically possible to have a Duration card which stays out for more than two turns (or even permanently) by giving it an effect for more turns (i.e. "Now and at the beginning of every turn +$1" would stay out forever).

Smithe

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2012, 12:38:27 pm »

Got it, thanks!

Knights' Gambit $4

Action-Duration

+1 Action
At the start of your next turn:
+2 Cards

While Knights' Gambit is in play all cards that affect the player to the left now affect the player two players to the left instead.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2012, 11:05:56 pm »

Got it, thanks!

Knights' Gambit $4

Action-Duration

+1 Action
At the start of your next turn:
+2 Cards

While Knights' Gambit is in play all cards that affect the player to the left now affect the player two players to the left instead.

I don't quite understand this card.  I can read this in two ways:

1. Everyone is affected.  For example, when you play Masquerade in a 3-player game, it actually causes you to pass to the right.  Similarly, Tribute affects the person to your right.

2. It only affects the person to your left.  This makes a lot of things super weird (in Masquerade, they get nothing but have to pass two?), so I'm going to assume you don't mean this.

But case 1 is not all that great.  It doesn't have interaction with many cards, and even when it affects something it doesn't really confer much of an advantage.  And hey -- in 2 player games, it causes Masquerade to read "pass 1 to yourself"?  And the same thing if two have been played in a 3p game?

Then again, this is just a card inspired by another game.  I don't play a lot of chess though, so I don't quite understand the relation here. :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 20 queries.