Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Masterpiece  (Read 6903 times)

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
Masterpiece
« on: June 14, 2013, 11:57:33 am »
+8

Just played my first couple of Guilds games on Goko.

One of the games I decided that there wasn't a viable engine so I went treasure maps (turns out there was an engine which I almost lost to).

Managed to get my treasure maps together on turn five or six and the next turn bought a masterpiece and overpaid by nine - so four gold and nine silver added to the deck in two turns.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Masterpiece
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 12:08:28 pm »
+1

Oh, man. I can't wait to try that with Baker on the board so that I can open with two Treasure Maps and have all that money by the end of turn 4.

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 12:45:14 pm »
+1

I think I've mentioned this elsewhere, but this looks great with Doctor too. Either of these looks like a pretty good excuse to play like a complete Treasure Map rookie, thinking only of how to connect your TMs without a care for what your deck will look like afterward.

Come to think of it, Herald's overbuy power helps you connect TMs too. Guilds: The Treasure Map Expansion?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:56:31 pm »

Spend $9 $8 on a Stonemason for two Adventurers after adding four Golds?
Well you *do* need a signature...

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 01:07:18 pm »
+1

Watchtower + $6 = Two topdecked TM's (with Stonemason)
A man on a mission.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 01:19:17 pm »
+6

With the Stonemason in the trash.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 01:19:35 pm »

And you don't even need to keep the Stonemason if you don't want it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 01:20:07 pm »
+2

I think I've mentioned this elsewhere, but this looks great with Doctor too. Either of these looks like a pretty good excuse to play like a complete Treasure Map rookie, thinking only of how to connect your TMs without a care for what your deck will look like afterward.

Come to think of it, Herald's overbuy power helps you connect TMs too. Guilds: The Treasure Map Expansion?

Be careful with Herald.  If you reveal TM without another one in hand, you just wasted $4.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 01:36:13 pm »

Alternatively, you also use the SM to trash a $5. Even without a top-decker, if you open $5/$2 picking up a five and the stonemason and hoping they collide T3 or T4 might actually be a good move, especially if there is a viable $5 on the board you'd want to pick up anyway.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 01:42:38 pm »

Alternatively, you also use the SM to trash a $5. Even without a top-decker, if you open $5/$2 picking up a five and the stonemason and hoping they collide T3 or T4 might actually be a good move, especially if there is a viable $5 on the board you'd want to pick up anyway.

I doubt this is a good idea.  If it's a good $5, you probably don't want to trash it in exchange for the CHANCE of connecting Treasure Maps.  If it's a bad $5, you shouldn't be buying it to start.  And even then, you are now counting on TWO collisions.  First you need to match the $5 and Stonemason, then you need to match the two Maps.  Those are not great odds.

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 05:41:24 pm »

At first Masterpiece looked dull, but the card is really growing on me (I have not tried it yet). Silvers for $1 a piece sounds like a great deal a lot of the time, and I would guess that its presence pushes you towards BM, plus draw? Probably $5, overpaying by $2, is least I would pay for it, achieving the same money density for the same cost as Cache. Also, having another kingdom Treasure at $3 is nice, even though you won't pay $3 for it... and it's a good target for Mine etc. and Swindler. I like it, it's a nice design.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 06:02:21 pm »

Well, Treasure Map originally came from the 7th expansion according to the secret history. That was Guilds, right?

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=117.0
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 07:12:24 pm »

Well, Treasure Map originally came from the 7th expansion according to the secret history. That was Guilds, right?

Judging by what he said in the Secret History of the Dark Ages Cards, the 7th expansion seems to have been a now-defunct "top-of-the-deck" themed expansion.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 09:36:24 pm »

This is actually a very interesting card. An odd young witch bane. A tempting swindler target. A big haul of silver for 7 coins. It does make a difference to kingdoms.

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 10:41:21 pm »

Judging by what he said in the Secret History of the Dark Ages Cards, the 7th expansion seems to have been a now-defunct "top-of-the-deck" themed expansion.
I think the 7th expansion turned into Guilds+Alchemy? Or maybe Guilds+Cornucopia?

If Guilds' path is anything like Dark Ages, I imagine that little remains of the originally planned 7th set. That said, there's actually a decent amount of "top of the deck" related stuff here. You have Taxman and Herald; "Name a card" is related; maybe also Doctor but that might be a stretch. Alchemist and arguably Apothecary and Golem are also relevant.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 10:48:46 pm »

Rather than Watchtower + $6, you could have Watchtower + Quarry + Copper.  This is easier to achieve on turn 3 than the classic Watchtower + Talisman + 3xCopper.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 11:20:14 pm »

I think the 7th expansion turned into Guilds+Alchemy? Or maybe Guilds+Cornucopia?

If Guilds' path is anything like Dark Ages, I imagine that little remains of the originally planned 7th set. That said, there's actually a decent amount of "top of the deck" related stuff here. You have Taxman and Herald; "Name a card" is related; maybe also Doctor but that might be a stretch. Alchemist and arguably Apothecary and Golem are also relevant.

Alchemy+Cornucopia.  That's why they're grouped together on Goko now.  Guilds is something entirely new that Donald come up with when Jay asked for another small set.  He was going to do more Durations, but decided something new would be more interesting.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 12:47:48 am »
+4

He was going to do more Durations, but decided something new would be more interesting.
i want both please.
-The Compulsive Completist

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 11:40:03 am »

Guilds is something entirely new that Donald come up with when Jay asked for another small set.  He was going to do more Durations, but decided something new would be more interesting.

Indeed, note that coin tokens resemble Durations (and other Seaside cards like Embargo and Smugglers and whatnot): playing a card now can have an effect on a future turn.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 12:02:01 pm »
+2

MASTERPIECE/FEODUM IS AWESOME

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130615/log.505c6195a2e6c78ad2ed5a99.1371312035847.txt

My Feoda were worth 11 POINTS EACH.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 12:50:24 pm »

I got my Feoda up to 9 VP last night. Don't have the log, but my opponent started picking up a bunch of Silvers with Masterpiece as well, so I only got 29 of them.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 04:36:24 am »

With 5/2 opening or 6-2/5-3 (Baker), there's probably occasions where getting a Masterpiece on turn one is really strong. Obviously depends on what fives are out there, but going MP+3, then Courtyard gets you off to a flying start I'd say.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 20 queries.