Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A Guilds/Prosperity card  (Read 6638 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
A Guilds/Prosperity card
« on: June 14, 2013, 11:43:07 am »

Nothing big, just an idea:

Town Hall
5$+, Action - Victory
+ 1 Card
+ 1 Action

1 VP

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, + 1 VP per $ you overpaid.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:22:58 pm by Asper »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: A Guilds/Prosperity card
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:49:35 am »
+1

There are engines that can rack up just ridiculous amount of coin.  With lots of +Buy, they usually look for a way to end on piles with a lead.  Without +Buy, they just aren't viable.

With this card, now they can use their single Buy to get 100VP.  And since this is a cantrip, their engine is still perfectly tuned to do it again and again.

Is that crazy enough that this card can't exist?  I don't know.  But it's something to think about. :P

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:53:07 am »
+1

at $5, strictly worse than great hall. At 6, interesting. At 7, a better duchy

...at $16, strictly better than double-province...

I think it's too good for mega-turns...

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:26:29 pm »
+1

The card seems fine, although it may go completely unplayed a lot of times. It is nice for those ugly 7s when you don't need more gold, and even for early 6s if you need some VP (although for $6 it will be usually worse than Harem). If you are getting to 16 its fine that is better than double-Province. After all, Province is strictly better than double-Duchy and Duchy is strinctly better than double-Estate.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 06:06:19 pm »

...at $16, strictly better than double-province...

But not better than Colony/Duchy ;)

And as soulnet points out:

After all, Province is strictly better than double-Duchy and Duchy is strinctly better than double-Estate.

In Dominion, the coin/VP ratio becomes better the more expensive a card is. Estate is worth half the coins, Duchy is worth 60%, Province is worth 75% and Colony about 90%. If you can manage to build such an engine, why shouldn't you be rewarded?

I admit the card ignores and therefore weakens buy cards, though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:06:07 am by Asper »

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 06:21:04 pm »
+2

When I saw this, at first I thought it was a cantrip Monument. But it isn't. Carry on
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 06:23:57 pm »

When I saw this, at first I thought it was a cantrip Monument. But it isn't. Carry on

No wonder, i forgot the seperator above the VPs. Edited.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 06:26:58 pm »
+1

In Dominion, the coin/VP ratio becomes better the more expensive a card is. Estate is worth half the coins, Duchy is worth 60%, Province is worth 75% and Colony about 90%. If you can manage to build such an engine, why shouldn't you be rewarded?

You should, that was my point. I was arguing exactly the same to defend the card.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 09:04:09 am »

You should, that was my point. I was arguing exactly the same to defend the card.

I know, i cited you to back up my point for others (liopoil) to read. I'm a internet-illiterate sometimes. ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:06:50 am by Asper »

GeronimoRex

• Navigator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 02:42:34 pm »
+2

I think it could work, but I think the cost is too low. Would need play-testing to figure out how much higher the cost would need to be.

The fact that Town Hall could gain huge victory points without clogging a deck give it crazy potential for ridiculous turns. I think in Colony games, with more time to build a big engine, this would dominate over buying Colonies. Yes, at $16, Colony/Duchy is 13 pts vs. 12 pts from Town Hall, but C/D puts two dead cards in your deck. TH would keep your deck fluid, making it possible to stack 12+ VP turns without slowing down your deck.

Even if TH was offered as a pure Victory card (no actions, just the on-buy effect), I think it would still be worth $5 in many games. With that same $16, you'd likely take the TH vs the C/D, because for the difference of only one VP, you'd keep a second dead card out of your hand. In a Province game, the $16 would almost always go to the TH, since it would be the same points, but only one card in your hand.

Never mind the fact that the lack of need for +buy makes it easier to set up a viable engine in more kingdoms... If all I have is Village/Smithy (or variants), I don't need to worry about clogging my deck with woodcutter or herbalist, etc., for the +buy.

Even in a Province game, you'd have a lot more time than usual to set up a mega-engine, because you wouldn't need to worry as much about your opponent buying Provinces. Usually, every Province your opponent buys is a lost opportunity cost because if you get too far behind on points, it's mathematically impossible to catch up. With TH, you don't have to worry that your opponent just bought the 5th province... with extra time to build a bigger engine, a couple of mega-turns could overcome any Province-lead.

Totally a game-changing card. I think it's a great idea, but I suspect it's totally too-powerful as-is.

If you strip away the action part, it's still very powerful and a game-changer, but at least a lot closer to balanced.

Don't forget that with the coins in guilds, extra coins would suddenly double as Victory Points... you could save them for the huge-overpay turn and instantly convert every coin into a VP... even without +buy.

Seriously, some ridiculous possibilities, but fun to consider.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 02:52:43 pm »
+1

Funny, while in the shower, I thought of this exact card, but it started at 0VP and had no Great Hall effect. I was debating if it should be priced at $3 or $4.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 07:56:56 pm »
+1

I think the card being powerful is actually good. Because even if its overpowered, it is not in a bad way, won't change the game into a simple minded race to get as most as possible like HP sometimes does. It changes the game in a similar way as Colony changes it: now strategies compare to each other very differently, but you still need to devise a strategy and the strategy is by no means a simple thing, moreover, I suspect it would add depth to dominion. Also similar is Goons, although Goons already tells one card you definitely MUST buy. Town Hall has several different ways to play it.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 05:05:35 pm »
+1

Here's another:

___, $_
Choose 1: +1 VP, +3 coin tokens
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 05:28:11 pm »
+1

Funny, while in the shower, I thought of this exact card, but it started at 0VP and had no Great Hall effect. I was debating if it should be priced at $3 or $4.

I thought of the same thing as you previously. I wanted it to be almost completely dead in your deck.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 05:39:06 pm »
+1

I was working on a fan expansion that had a card to represent each pair of sets (e.g. an Intrigue-Seaside card, an Intrigue-Alchemy card, ..., a Dark Ages-Guilds card).  The Guilds-Prosperity card I came up with I think is quite interesting:

Name
$3 - Action
+1 buy
If you have more coin tokens than VP tokens, +2 VP.  Otherwise, take 2 coin tokens.

It probably compares too favorably to Woodcutter, but who cares, that's Woodcutter.  At first you look at it and think "+2 VP on a $3 card, man, that's too strong".  But even if you spend your coin tokens as soon as you get them every time, it only gives you +2 VP every other time you play it.  And it might be less frequently than that, if you're saving up the coin tokens.  The farther into the game you get, the harder it becomes for this card to give you victory points.

I could still be way off though, I can also see this being a super-powerful $3.  In particular, two coin tokens might be too much, I don't have enough experience with Guilds to really be sure about that.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 06:07:13 pm »
+1

I was working on a fan expansion that had a card to represent each pair of sets (e.g. an Intrigue-Seaside card, an Intrigue-Alchemy card, ..., a Dark Ages-Guilds card).

That's a nifty idea! And 28 cards is not too far off a standard expansion size, too.

The Guilds-Prosperity card I came up with I think is quite interesting:

Name
$3 - Action
+1 buy
If you have more coin tokens than VP tokens, +2 VP.  Otherwise, take 2 coin tokens.

It probably compares too favorably to Woodcutter, but who cares, that's Woodcutter.  At first you look at it and think "+2 VP on a $3 card, man, that's too strong".  But even if you spend your coin tokens as soon as you get them every time, it only gives you +2 VP every other time you play it.  And it might be less frequently than that, if you're saving up the coin tokens.  The farther into the game you get, the harder it becomes for this card to give you victory points.

I could still be way off though, I can also see this being a super-powerful $3.  In particular, two coin tokens might be too much, I don't have enough experience with Guilds to really be sure about that.

I think that's too strictly better than Woodcutter to charge $3 for.  If you spend your coin tokens as soon as you get them every time, it never gives you +2 VP; it's just a Woodcutter. But you don't have to do that if you don't want to, so it's strictly better than Woodcutter.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 06:18:28 pm »
+1

Right, I think I confused myself between what would happen if you save coin tokens and what would happen if you spent them when I wrote that.  If you save them every time, you get +2 VP every other time you play it, but then the coin tokens aren't doing anything for you.  If you spend them every time, well, then you just get more coin tokens when you play it.

Maybe $4 would be better?  I think I originally had only 1 VP or 1 coin token and that seemed a lot worse than Monument, so I bumped it to $3, then ended up changing it to 2 VP and 2 coin tokens, but left it at $3.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 06:35:19 pm »
+1

Right, I think I confused myself between what would happen if you save coin tokens and what would happen if you spent them when I wrote that.  If you save them every time, you get +2 VP every other time you play it, but then the coin tokens aren't doing anything for you.  If you spend them every time, well, then you just get more coin tokens when you play it.

Maybe $4 would be better?  I think I originally had only 1 VP or 1 coin token and that seemed a lot worse than Monument, so I bumped it to $3, then ended up changing it to 2 VP and 2 coin tokens, but left it at $3.

As written, it's got to be at least $4. It might actually be too powerful in the right engine—note that Merchant Guild looks pretty weak in terms of what it does, but must be priced at $5 for a reason. I certainly don't have enough of a  handle on what coin tokens are like to know how to price a card like this. But it gives you a lot of flexibility.

Hmm... Butcher is Remodel-with-coin-tokens, and it's $5; this is Woodcutter-with-coin-tokens plus a bit of Monument-with-coin-tokens. Might need to be $5.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 06:46:02 pm »

Woodcutter is not a power card, but on big money, a strategy all other ways to play Dominion must compete with, it's okay to mix in a Woodcutter or two when you could get a Silver. Either way, even if Donald himself thought it was the crappiest card he ever made, you can't just make a card that is Woddcutter+ for 3$. You'd have to give it a drawback to balance that, and neither 2 VP nor 2 coin tokens are any worse than +2$ - in fact, VP tokens are worth about the same and coin tokens are much better.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 10:48:39 pm »
+1

Woodcutter is not a power card, but on big money, a strategy all other ways to play Dominion must compete with, it's okay to mix in a Woodcutter or two when you could get a Silver. Either way, even if Donald himself thought it was the crappiest card he ever made, you can't just make a card that is Woddcutter+ for 3$. You'd have to give it a drawback to balance that, and neither 2 VP nor 2 coin tokens are any worse than +2$ - in fact, VP tokens are worth about the same and coin tokens are much better.
I realize that; when I was writing that I hadn't realized that I made it strictly better than Woodcutter, I was thinking of it more like an Ironmonger-Spy or Noble Brigand-Thief sort of thing, where they share similarities, and one is almost always better than the other at the same cost.  I did not intend for the card to be strictly better than Woodcutter.  Now that I realize that it is, I would definitely price it at $4 or more.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 04:55:24 am »
+1

Here's another:

___, $_
Choose 1: +1 VP, +3 coin tokens
Coin tokens are better than VP tokens (see Monument - there's no way you'd get $2 and a coin token at $4). You would never choose the +1 VP option.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 05:48:33 am »
+1

Consider that three coin tokens are enough to guarantee your next Duchy is a Province; that is a swing of 3VP, making them worth 1VP each - and normally in the endgame you would be buying Duchies for $6 and $7, meaning you don't even have to spend three to get that 3VP swing.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 10:49:17 pm »
+1

I think that the original card looks nice, but I wouldn't make it a cantrip.  It's already really strong, especially since you can trash them and keep most of the points.
Well you *do* need a signature...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 11:20:16 pm »
+1

Oh. Well, how bout to decide between 2 VP and 1 CT?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 03:00:17 pm »

I think that the original card looks nice, but I wouldn't make it a cantrip.  It's already really strong, especially since you can trash them and keep most of the points.

Actually i considered to make it a pure action, one where playing the card adds something on it's own. Either way, (with Point or not) i guess a cantrip is not only strong, but might also be a bit too boring.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.