Author Topic: Coins  (Read 6378 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
Coins
« on: June 13, 2013, 01:18:07 pm »
+1

Okay I wanted to get this out there. I think Coins are going to speed games up. They'll often mean that you're producing the same amount of money as you normally would, but they'll let you save some of it to smooth future problems. Hit $5 + a coin, but don't want another Gold, no problem save it and buy that Wharf. Now when you hit $7 you just draw on your coin reserves and instead of the usual "DOH! $7!" it's Province time.

They obviously won't be a universal truth because there's going to be some degree of trepidation about spending your Coin tokens. ("Should I spend a token here to bump myself up to $6 and get a Gold or save it for a Province later.") Which will cause us to make mistakes while we're getting used to coin tokens. There's going to be sometimes where we'll realize we held onto our coin tokens for nought, and I look forward to reading articles about that subject by smarter people than me. I think once we get used to it Coin tokens are going to speed up most games they appear in. Many times when you would otherwise overpay you can save your money for a future turn, and many times when you'd be delayed by being a $1 short will disappear in Coin engines.

Thoughts?

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
Re: Coins
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 01:55:52 pm »

I actually have a non-strategic thought regarding coins and that's that it's going to be fun to stack up a pile of gold coins like some kind of dragon. I am a sucker for games that let you brandish fistfulls of cash to the point where I have raided a Monopoly set to replace one game's suggestion that money should be tracked on paper. The hell it should.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 01:57:48 pm »
+1

I actually have a non-strategic thought regarding coins and that's that it's going to be fun to stack up a pile of gold coins like some kind of dragon. I am a sucker for games that let you brandish fistfulls of cash to the point where I have raided a Monopoly set to replace one game's suggestion that money should be tracked on paper. The hell it should.

Or use poker chips so you can shuffle them and stare down your opponent.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 04:06:12 pm »

They have sped things up in my Guilds experience, from proxying.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 09:05:41 pm »

Though the coin tokens initially look like a subtle mechanic, I also expect the coin tokens to speed up games. The more your deck uses coin tokens, the less you have to worry about dreadful 7$ hands and such. This means that players have to get their act together more quickly against players making good use of the tokens.

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 10:03:00 pm »

Dominion generally has super-linear scaling, so a poor hand followed by a good hand is generally superior to two mediocre hands. This is why I think Coin tokens will be powerful. Patient players who are willing to settle for cheaper cards now will be able to save up and get expensive components sooner. This matters more in games with Platina and Prosperity kingdom cards that take a while to build up to, and matters less in games where the key cards all cost $5.

Thought experiment: Having a coin token and saving it, is basically the same as using Haven to store a Copper.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 10:06:49 pm »
+1

Thought experiment: Having a coin token and saving it, is basically the same as using Haven to store a Copper.

It's actually even better than that. You can save the Coin token indefinitely, but you only get one turn to use that Copper.

kilgoretrout103

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 04:23:42 am »
+2

Just played my first game with Guilds, it was pretty sick: http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130614/log.514f5abbe4b0b79c883bafb8.1371197759671.txt

tl;dr: Kingdom had Candlestick Maker, Scrying Pool, Chapel. Got 3 SPs, 9 CSMs, trashed every other card in the deck, then got 9 coin tokens per turn until I had 64 and bought out the Provinces.

Not saying this will happen often, but it does illustrate the potential power of coins.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 04:55:50 am »

What I like most about Coins is that on one hand you don't want to wait too long to spend them (meaning you could have bought more powerful cards earlier), but that you also want to hang on for dreaded $7s or $4s late in the game.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 09:44:46 am »
+7

Things are going to turn confusing fast if this community starts referring to coin tokens as coins, since coins are the generic currency in Dominion, be they from treasures, actions, or coin tokens.
Well you *do* need a signature...

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 10:35:30 am »

Things are going to turn confusing fast if this community starts referring to coin tokens as coins, since coins are the generic currency in Dominion, be they from treasures, actions, or coin tokens.

The way it's already confusing that people refer to both Actions and Action cards as actions? (Cf. text on Diadem.)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 10:41:23 am »

The way it's already confusing that people refer to both Actions and Action cards as actions? (Cf. text on Diadem.)

No, since that's really not so confusing in context.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 01:22:12 pm »

I'm not sure it will be. I'm think people here use "money" more often than "coins" when referring to non-token coins already, or just use a number with a currency symbol in front (e.g. $3) if they're talking about a specific amount.

I just did some searching on the forum for "money", "coins", and "$" followed by each digit and it looks like "coin" is significantly more common than "money" even if you eliminate posts referring to Guilds' coin tokens. The variations on $X are all pretty sparse too, except "$2", which is about as common as "coin". € and £ also show up as currency denominators, but very infrequently.

Actually I'm not sure this is a reliable way of gauging anything. The search returns exactly 30 results for most of the "$X" searches, which makes me think there are times when it just stops at 30. Also I didn't take the trouble to eliminate non-Dominion subforums from the results so references to real-world money could be inflating any or all of these results.

So yeah I guess SirPeebles has a good point. People should try to make clear in some way when they are referring to coins vs. coin tokens.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 01:26:25 pm »

So yeah I guess SirPeebles has a good point. People should try to make clear in some way when they are referring to coins vs. coin tokens.

I think "coin tokens" could just be "tokens." It should be pretty clear when you mean coin tokens rather than Embargo, Pirate Ship, or Trade Route tokens, and it avoids the confusion with coins.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 01:45:28 pm »
+2

I think we should call them Coin tokens, since that's what they're called.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 01:48:36 pm »
+2

I think we should call them Coin tokens, since that's what they're called.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

CoTos.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 01:53:54 pm »

or we could call them dubloons.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 01:55:57 pm »

Seriously though, I'd just call them coin tokens.  With context, maybe just "tokens".

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 03:06:18 pm »

I vote for "Nipply Bits", personally.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 03:07:14 pm »
+1

I vote for "Nipply Bits", personally.

This may cause confusion when playing Strip Dominion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 03:46:08 pm »

I suggest "tok€n".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 05:02:10 pm »

I like CoTos.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 05:13:00 pm »
+1

Money Pellets!

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 05:33:41 pm »
+5

Guys, there is a simple solution:

Coin tokens are called "Thing-a-ma-bobs"

Coins (as in money/price) are called "Thing-a-ma-jigs"

Other tokens are called "Which-a-ma-callits"

Hopefully this should clear up all confusion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 20 queries.