Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Bold Predictions: Guilds Edition  (Read 36593 times)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Bold Predictions: Guilds Edition
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2013, 12:20:32 pm »
+2

• Doctor will lead to the most mistakes in opening, particularly with Baker in the Kingdom.
    Nope. People learned not to open Doctor. Good job people.

Huh? I think Doctor is rarely worth getting, but if you want to get it at all (when you want to build an engine and it's the only available trasher), you should open with it.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2013, 02:52:20 pm »
+1

I'm terrible at predicting. But for fun, here it goes. I'll avoid the formatting and let my outlandish predictions stand boldly on their own:

Guilds will not be the last official Dominion expansion.

Big Money strategies are optimal more often in full random than if Dominion had stopped with Dark Ages.

Masterpiece and Baker will be known as great big money enablers. Tactician-Masterpiece, who needs Bank on $7?, opening Gold, and Treasure Map-Treasure Map from the fourth seat for the win!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:30:52 pm by Polk5440 »

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2013, 01:19:06 pm »

Retrospective part 2:

• Taxman will be relatively bad, particularly in the endgame. In the early game, it compares unfavorably to Cutpurse. In the endgame, it compares unfavorably to Mandarin. The latter is particularly damning.
    I had this backwards. Taxman is bad in the early game and somewhat better in the endgame. It's still relatively bad.
  • Butcher will be overrated by nearly every player, and a questionable buy in Guilds-light Kingdoms.
    It's good but not great; the biggest surprise here is that people don't seem to be overrating it.
  • Stonemason will be the highest-skill card in the set, lending itself to non-obvious shenanigans that synergize the on-buy and on-play effects.
    Not really. It leads to some really neat stuff, but it doesn't take a dramatically skilled player to do most of the neat stuff.
  • Advisor will be underrated as people compare it to Scout and Envoy, then overrated as people compare it to Lab, then correctly rated as people realize how much better Silver and Warehouse are than Advisor in the early game.
    My mistake here was thinking people would care that much about Advisor.
  • Plaza will not be very good except in Watchtower/Library decks. It will not be powerful enough to command its price point in fully-drawing engines. It will be one of the weakest Villages.
    I originally swung completely the other way [it's one of the best]. I think it comes out as very average--often not worth the opportunity cost, but the flexibility it provides is useful. It compares favorably to Oasis, and its relative power among Villages probably sits around Farming Village.
  • Except in sets with a ton of surplus actions, Merchant Guild will be about even with Silver, and not worth buying when good terminals are in the Kingdom.
    Yup. Merchant Guild is bad. People still seem to be enamored with its ability to enable crazy things on occasion--but it's extremely rare for this to happen, and setting it up takes way too long. In general, I'd rather use Candlestick Makers, which generate coin tokens nearly as fast, are easier to spam, and don't require Villages.
  • Doctor will lead to the most mistakes in opening, particularly with Baker in the Kingdom.
    Nope. People learned not to open Doctor. Good job people.
  • Almost nobody will buy Masterpiece outside slogs, and in those they will buy it too late. It will be one of the largest differentiators between intermediate and advanced players.
    I think I was right about this. It only seems to get bought in crazy Feodum decks and the like.

Interesting.
What am I missing with Doctor?

Isn't it a good open if you want to trash? Especially if you open 4/3?

I've done it a couple of times and it seemed to work. You can trash your initial coppers pretty easily. And if you track your deck right, estates too.

I would think Dr gets a lot worse if you buy it later: a lot harder to connect with those coppers and estates.

Ed

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2013, 01:47:36 pm »

Interesting.
What am I missing with Doctor?

Isn't it a good open if you want to trash? Especially if you open 4/3?

I've done it a couple of times and it seemed to work. You can trash your initial coppers pretty easily. And if you track your deck right, estates too.

I would think Dr gets a lot worse if you buy it later: a lot harder to connect with those coppers and estates.

Ed
I agree. A $4 Doctor can be very good when there isn't a strong $4 opener on the board. The chances of hitting an Estate are decent (2/5 or 1/3, depending on your first shuffle) and it's just awesome if you manage to do it, and hitting a Copper isn't bad either so it's sometimes worth the try. Not always, though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2013, 02:39:07 pm »

I think you're still underestimating masterpiece. It is quite a strong kingdom treasure. Nobody really seems to appreciate kingdom treasures though.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2013, 02:46:46 pm »

I think Doctor is one of the best trashers, except when it fails, it fails hard: you draw it on turn 5, name whatever's most likely, and still hit nothing. After that happens, it's pretty much a worse Lookout.

I like Masterpiece a lot.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2013, 12:38:38 am »

Nobody really seems to appreciate kingdom treasures though.

I know what you mean. Perhaps it's because they're not engine components? I'm a big fan of Treasure Kingdom cards in general.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2013, 12:39:31 am »

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.