Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Guilds is here!  (Read 18249 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Guilds is here!
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2013, 07:21:24 pm »
+1

PDF rules now online at RGG.

Only recommended sets of 10 for the Base Set and Intrigue. That's disappointing.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2013, 07:59:16 pm »

Feminine pronouns, pink rules - coincidence?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2013, 08:01:01 pm »

I guess it mostly depends on how much buying power you want this turn.

And how much you want next turn as well. Of course, that's somewhat of a risk, but whatever you lose this turn, you get back next turn, so...

I like that the rules use feminine pronouns to refer to a generic player!  :D

Call me a contrarain, but I don't. It's inconsistent with... all of the previous rulebooks, I think? And all of the Dominion cards, which use masculine when there's an unknown. And I think that's the standard in English as well, if you don't have a gender neutral term to refer to people of unknown gender, go masculine instead of feminine. But this might not be a rule, just what I've always seen done. Perhaps because most of my hobbies and skills are 80%+ male, though (I'm a mathematician, and I play lots of games and the like).
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 11:09:23 pm »
+1

Call me a contrarain, but I don't. It's inconsistent with... all of the previous rulebooks, I think? And all of the Dominion cards, which use masculine when there's an unknown. And I think that's the standard in English as well, if you don't have a gender neutral term to refer to people of unknown gender, go masculine instead of feminine. But this might not be a rule, just what I've always seen done. Perhaps because most of my hobbies and skills are 80%+ male, though (I'm a mathematician, and I play lots of games and the like).
I don't really see what's lost by the inconsistency here. If all of the rulebooks and cards used the feminine, it still wouldn't feel any more natural to you, or to me for that matter.

It's the standard in English, but that's because everything was "80% male" until recently. Pretty much anything worth writing a book about except cooking, childrearing etc. would have assumed the actors were male. So there are fairly good reasons for thinking this custom should change. I'm personally a big believer in the singular "they" but people who go farther will get no argument from me.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2013, 12:56:00 am »
+4

Perhaps because most of my hobbies and skills are 80%+ male, though (I'm a mathematician, and I play lots of games and the like).
Then you'll be happy to know that your Dominion rule books are 80%+ male.  ;)
-The Compulsive Completist

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2013, 03:33:40 am »

To me, it feels like they've got complaints because all the previous rulebooks and all the cards use the masculine pronoun and now they're trying to cover up. And it's not working very well in my opinion, since this mostly just highlights the masculinity of the masculine pronouns everywhere - "he" is often used as a gender neutral pronoun and it could have been the case here, too, if they hadn't suddenly used "she" in Guilds.

But it isn't a big deal, I'm okay with being referred to as "she" and the odds are I'm not going to read the rulebook in English anyway.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.