Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Card Photos  (Read 73644 times)

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
Re: Card Photos
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2013, 04:29:38 pm »

Overpay on an early lucky 7, 8 or 9 where you don't want province is awesome.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2013, 07:15:57 pm »

PDF Rules now available on RGG.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2013, 07:39:15 pm »
+2

Link here.

Quote from end of flavor text:
We hope you enjoy this expanding world of Dominion!

Uh, I think that the world of Dominion has finished expanding.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2013, 07:59:07 pm »
+6

OR HAS IT??!!!?!?!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2013, 08:19:28 pm »
+2

Link here.

Leftover flavor text from Prosperity?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2013, 08:24:27 pm »
+5

Link here.

Leftover flavor text from Prosperity?

Publisher
$4 Action-Duration

+1 action

At the start of your next turn, trash a card from your hand.  Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card.
Well you *do* need a signature...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2013, 01:39:21 pm »

Question: isn't Merchant's Guild worse than Bridge? You can't TR or KC it for added effect, and though the free coins work like Bridge's cost reduction, you can't spend the coins until the next turn (meaning that big turns will come one turn later).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2013, 01:40:46 pm »

Question: isn't Merchant's Guild worse than Bridge? You can't TR or KC it for added effect, and though the free coins work like Bridge's cost reduction, you can't spend the coins until the next turn (meaning that big turns will come one turn later).

If it was next turn only, sure. But you can save coin tokens indefinitely.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2013, 02:18:30 pm »

also, bridges don't allow you to buy copper for negative money, but buying copper with merchant guild gives you coins.
I still don't see how merchant guild is stop supposed to be good anyway.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 15, 2013, 03:54:48 pm »

The idea is Bridge gives you a virtual $1 every time you buy a card, whereas Merchant guild gives you a coin token. The latter is more useful than the former, so Merchant Guild is "better" than bridge, so it has to cost more.

However I think they've got different enough utility to both cost $4. Bridge is essentially as good as $2 when you play it, since it lowers the barrier of entry into buying a card. MG doesn't do that; while you can used coin tokens saved from previous plays for that effect, this seems to be "weaker" than Bridge's instant payoff.  Also MG only works for buys, while Bridge works for all gains, which is quite a non trivial bonus. Even if Villages didn't exist, it explicitly helps with Horn of Plenty, Farmland and Stonemason, but I've used Bridge to combo with Remodel, Workshop etc. many times.

As another comparison, if MG's effect was on a cantrip, would it need to cost $6 for being "Better than highway"?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2013, 04:11:07 pm »

As another comparison, if MG's effect was on a cantrip, would it need to cost $6 for being "Better than highway"?
Yes, and also for being "Better than Baker".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2013, 05:01:30 pm »

After playing a couple of games with Merchant Guild, I think it's sort of a chicken-and egg card. You want to buy several good cards with Merchant Guild in play so that you get more Coin tokens without diluting your deck with crap. But since Merchant Guild only gives you $1, you have to get that money elsewhere. Where? Coin tokens. Coin tokens like the ones you get from Merchant Guild.

Hence, it seems Merchant Guild strongly benefits from having a decent number of Coin tokens and therefore combos with other cards that produce Coin tokens. That way you can save the tokens to spend them when you have Merchant Guild in play, netting you a big Coin token rebate while buying good cards.

EDIT: Reposted to the Merchant Guild thread.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 05:18:34 pm by LastFootnote »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2013, 05:18:16 pm »

Yes, and also for being "Better than Baker".

A straight cantrip.

I'd like to have the option to use the coin token the turn I play the card.

manthos88

• Bishop
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2013, 10:39:06 am »

Well... i just viewed the topic and i'm kinda glad we re gonna have a new expansion. And all the cards seem interesting. Now, i just want to display my opinion about some cards.

Masterpiece:

I noticed that some people didn't really like the card. I believe it's very good on certain decks.

It's obviously a very good slog card, but other than that - guys, Big Money!- it can be good on a BM deck when u just don't want to buy anything else for $4, or $5 and this is a very good way to kill underbuys. What you basically do is that you buy a copper accompanied by 1 or 2 Silvers, but before you guys jump to say that coppers are bad in BM decks, i want to remind you that in this kind of decks the percentage of treasure cards vs victory cards in your deck matters a lot. So, unless there are handsize reduction attacks, Masterpiece can help a lot in BM decks.

(Actually, maybe it's not worth buying a Masterpiece for $4 in BM unless it's late game, but for $5 it can be worth it.)

Another use for Masterpiece, in my opinion, is to gain cards to TfB. Apprentice and Salvager will like this card, i believe, as you can pay $4+ to gain 2+ cards that cost $3, thus provide "easy" fuel for them. I already like to use Trader for this purpose and it works nicely for me. Masterpiece will make this job even easier.

Plaza:

I have been working on draw-to-X engines lately, and Plaza is a nice addition to the card roster for this job. Discarding coppers for +coins is just what you need in draw-to-X engines and with Plaza, you can do it while gaining more actions (unlike horse traders or oasis) and the fact that you can choose whether to spend the coins this turn or another one makes it a really good card for this job.

Taxman:

This card looks really interesting and seems somewhat better than Mine to me. Even though, you don't get the upgraded treasure in your hand, it is put on top of your deck so it's ready for use immediately. The attack part is very important, especially early game, and unlike Cutpurse, the attack will still hurt late game. Overall, it's a very strong card relative to its cost, in my opinion.

Journeyman

Now, this is a nice drawing card. It has about the same use as Catacombs, but works more like a Hunting Party (as regarding in cards being skipped). Can be very strong early game for skipping those coppers or estates along with giving you 3 more cards in your hand. I wonder how Journeyman-BM would be like...

EDIT: Oh my God! just noticed!  Combo: Journeyman - Tunnel !!!
I will steal the words: "Just name Tunnel..." :D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:47:35 am by manthos88 »
Just give me a mega-turn engine and take my soul...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 21 queries.