Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Card Photos  (Read 74014 times)

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
Re: Card Photos
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2013, 02:11:57 am »
+4

"Ocean Breeze Soap: It's just like taking an ocean cruise, only there's no boat and you don't actually go anywhere"
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2013, 02:24:53 am »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2013, 03:11:21 am »

I think people are ragging on Stonemason's on-play a bit much. It's niche, but not bad. How often in a slog or the end-game would you like to trash a gold to gain 2 duchies?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2013, 04:54:09 am »

Advisor is the 4th lab variant (first 3: Caravan, HP, Stables). I feel it's quite a bit worse than Caravan except extremely early on. Notice that you are bound to have your good cards discarded, so a deck without thinning probably can't work with advisor. Your opponent can easily cut off your chain by discarding Advisors.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2013, 05:02:32 am »

I think people are ragging on Stonemason's on-play a bit much. It's niche, but not bad. How often in a slog or the end-game would you like to trash a gold to gain 2 duchies?
Well, how much on-play can you expect out of a $2 card? (that isn't Chapel, Hamlet, Haven, Native Village, Courtyard or Pawn)?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2013, 06:16:05 am »

Well, how much on-play can you expect out of a $2 card? (that isn't Chapel, Hamlet, Haven, Native Village, Courtyard or Pawn)?

The only ones that seem straight up bad to me (and not just situational) are Vagrant and Pearl Diver, and they're harmless cantrips.

Stonemason is one of the situational ones.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2013, 06:23:41 am »

Vagrant (and maybe Pearl Diver) are situationally nice with Mystic.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
No victories or reactions
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2013, 07:03:05 am »

No VP card and no reaction, that makes me pretty sad actually.
Hmm. Yeah.

Maybe there could have been a Tunnel variant. Victory-Reaction, worth 1VP per n coin tokens you have at end of game.When you discard this other than during a Clean-up phase, you may reveal it. If you do, gain a coin token.

Call it "Insurance Policy", perhaps? But what would n have to be?

Bron

• Steward
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2013, 07:56:15 am »

In case someone missed it - Guilds are already on GOKO :-P

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2013, 08:14:19 am »

In case someone missed it - Guilds are already on GOKO :-P
And if someone bought it yet, can he please host a game to play with me ? I can't wait to try the guilds cards ! (I'm currently on goko)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2013, 10:11:03 am »

Advisor is the 4th lab variant (first 3: Caravan, HP, Stables).

You're forgetting Alchemist.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2013, 10:56:06 am »

Advisor is the 4th lab variant (first 3: Caravan, HP, Stables).

You're forgetting Alchemist.
Or is he?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2013, 10:56:53 am »

Having just played it on Goko, Masterpiece + Feodum is as crazy good as you might expect it to be. I played someone who wasn't competing me on it, and by turn 18 I'd bought eight 12 point Feodums and empied the Masterpieces. I had Wharf support, which is probably about the best support you can get, but it still seems like a notable combo, probably better than Trader, since it gives you something useful to do with those $7 hands with one buy.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2013, 11:03:51 am »
+2

Yeah, the cards are here.

Candlestick Maker
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+1 Action. +1 Buy. Take a Coin token.

So this compared to Pawn 3 out of the 4 options, but without being able to draw. Or this is a Squire without being able to gain a Silver and get 1 of each (Actions and Buys) instead of 2 of one. I think this is rather weak. It's best use may be in engines because non-terminal buy is really strong and it giving one extra coin token is really good. It comboes really well with Minion. I like it although it's not that exciting.

Stonemason
Cost: $2+
Trash a card from your hand. Gain 2 cards each costing less than it.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, gain 2 Action cards each costing the amount you overpaid.

This is crazy. First the on-play effect. It's a mostly worse Develop. Or wait. Hm, not sure if this is true. Its main use is probably trashing a Gold for 2 Duchies (or better a Platinum for 2 Provinces), so I guess it's better in the late game to get 2 victory cards. And unlike Develop they don't go on top of your deck. So this is a bonus. Still it's seems weak, but pretty tricky to play. The overpay effect is great. You basically can get 2 copies of the Action card you want for $2 more and by getting a free Stonemason. The free Stonemason is proabably mostly not want you want, but can be quite good later. But getting strong $5-$7s you will often pay $2 more to get 2 copies. It comboes with Border Village. Pay $8 to get 2 Border Villages and 2 cards costing less than it and get a Stonemason. Later you can trash the "free" Border Villages to get 2 Duchies. Crazy. I also saw already that you can overpay with Potion with is also pretty awesome. Two early Universities or Scrying Pools for $4P is pretty good. And trashing Potion cards to get 2 Vineyards is also really good.

Masterpiece
Types: Treasure
Cost: $3+
Worth $1.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, gain a Silver per $1 you overpaid.

I love Treasure cards. This is probably not my favourite one, but it's pretty neat. $4 in slogs to get a Silver and a Copper. $5 to get 2 Silvers and a Copper (Cache gives you a Gold and 2 Coppers for the same money density) is great when Cache is great. And for $6 and more you can get a lot of Silvers. You can now empty the Silver pile with only one buy if you want to. I'm awaiting the first Trader/Feodum/Masterpiece game. Envoy BM with Masterpiece should be pretty good. You definitely want to pay $6 for Masterpiece instead of Gold.

Advisor
Cost: $4
+1 Action. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. The player to your left chooses one of them. Discard that card. Put the other cards into your hand.

Advisor is a mix of Laboratory and Envoy. This will be really good in trimmed down decks. If you have nearly no bad card in your deck, it's a really good Lab, especially if you can re-draw the discarded cards later anyway. In other decks, this is probably very bad. But with Chapel or Remake this will be very powerful.

Plaza
+1 Card. +2 Actions. You may discard a Treasure card. If you do, take a Coin token.

The village of this set. And it's sweet. Plaza+Poor House seems really good if you extra buys. Also, if you redraw the discarded treasure again, this is a Bazaar for $5. And Plaza+Watchtower or Library is also really nice. Probably not the strongest $4 village, but it can really shine in some situations.

Taxman
Types: Action – Attack
You may trash a Treasure from your hand. Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a copy of it (or reveals a hand without it). Gain a Treasure card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, putting it on top of your deck.

This a delayed Mine with an Attack effect. Oh, I like this. A Discarding Attack card that has a different feeling than all other Attack cards. The first Attack card that can trash your own cards? I think this can be really strong. Early on it's a Cutpurse. You get the $2 in the next hand instead of this, but you have trashed a Copper into a Silver. This can really shut BM down if you can build an engine around this which trashes a Gold each turn just to top-deck another Gold.

Merchant Guild
Cost: $5
+1 Buy. +$1.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, take a Coin token.

Another sweet card that reminds me of Merchant Ship. Hey, probably that's why it's named like that! Merchant Ship gives you $2 on two turns. This gives you $1 +1 Buy this turn which is worse, then it gives you at least $1, but most likely $2 or even more on the next turn. Seems weak at first glance, but expect to be very strong in engines as this is a delayed Bridge. For every card you buy this turn a following buy is reduced by one. Still seems not crazy powerful for $5, but still seems like a very good addition to your deck with cheap engine components.

Soothsayer
Cost: $5
Gain a Gold. Each other player gains a Curse. Each player who did draws a card.

Wow this seems crazy powerful. Gains you a Gold and deals out Curses. What!? Even crazier if you can play a discarding attack afterwards. This will lead to fast games if trashing is available, similar to Govenor. It even comboes really nicely with Govenor. Can't await to play with this.

I'm really pleased how the set turned out. The art is now really better than the last couple of cards.
I'm surprised and a little bit disappointed that we had no Alt-VP card and no Reaction card, but at least we have a Treasure card.
I still can't believe that we now know all the cards of all Dominion. Thanks Donald X. for all this.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2013, 11:20:19 am »

The first Attack card that can trash your own cards?

Well, there are Mercenary and Dame Anna.  And technically all Knights can end up trashing themselves if they hit another Knight. :P

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2013, 11:28:32 am »

And Urchin can trash itself.
Well you *do* need a signature...

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2013, 11:34:29 am »

COIN TOKENS ARE SO MUCH FUN!!!!!

just double provinced in a game (goko) with plaza and my only treasures were a silver and 4 coppers and only +buy was salvager. who knows if it was the right time or not to use them, but i haven't had a rush from playing dominion like that since my first king's court chain the day i got prosperity in the mail haha
Go, and do likewise.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2013, 11:41:42 am »

And Urchin can trash itself.
As does pillage

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2013, 12:00:53 pm »

any recommended kingdoms?

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2013, 12:34:18 pm »

Well, there are Mercenary and Dame Anna.  And technically all Knights can end up trashing themselves if they hit another Knight. :P

Yeah, I meant Attacks that can trash cards from your hand. Mercenary and Dame Anna are true, still this is the first full 10 card kingdom card.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2013, 12:35:45 pm »

Taxman
You may trash a Treasure from your hand. Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a copy of it (or reveals a hand without it). Gain a Treasure card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, putting it on top of your deck.
So, it's a cross between mine and cutpurse. Interesting. Delayed compared to mine, which it has to be for comparison, and you also miss (probably) at least $2 in buying power compared to mine this hand. Wonder how well it works with fool's gold. Well, I'm very unlikely to want it except for early, so the question is, how good is it early? Drawing it with 3 copper would be the worst, unless there's a good 2-cost. With 4, you can still buy a 3, and with 2 or fewer, your other hand is quite good and you weren't likely to buy much this turn anyway. So, solid but not great as an opener, progressively worse the longer you go. Well, and probably good for BM no draw mirrors. The attack has to be reasonably effective.

Sorry for the double post, but oh gosh I have to say this. Taxman+Fool's Gold seems really strong.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2013, 12:53:42 pm »

Taxman
So, it's a cross between mine and cutpurse. Interesting. Delayed compared to mine, which it has to be for comparison, and you also miss (probably) at least $2 in buying power compared to mine this hand. Wonder how well it works with fool's gold. Well, I'm very unlikely to want it except for early, so the question is, how good is it early? Drawing it with 3 copper would be the worst, unless there's a good 2-cost. With 4, you can still buy a 3, and with 2 or fewer, your other hand is quite good and you weren't likely to buy much this turn anyway. So, solid but not great as an opener, progressively worse the longer you go. Well, and probably good for BM no draw mirrors. The attack has to be reasonably effective.

Sorry for the double post, but oh gosh I have to say this. Taxman+Fool's Gold seems really strong.

If you lose the Fool's Gold split, you could trash your own into Silver (or $5 kingdom treasures) to make your opponent discard her Fool's Gold.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2013, 01:10:37 pm »

Yeah, I meant Attacks that can trash cards from your hand. Mercenary and Dame Anna are true, still this is the first full 10 card kingdom card.
Band of Misfits?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2013, 01:13:18 pm »

Merchant Guild is way better than it looks like. It isn't one of the top $5s*, but it's at least average.

EDIT: *I might have to take that statement back.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:15:39 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2013, 04:07:38 pm »

Fool's Gold/Doctor also seems really strong.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.