Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Card Photos  (Read 74036 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Card Photos
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2013, 03:17:10 pm »

You can overpay Potions, but not $0.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/991269/can-you-overpay-by-s0-or-potion

So you can buy a Stonemason and overpay by $2P to gain two Scrying Pools. Nice!

Shame you can't do it with Philosopher's Stones.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2013, 03:35:32 pm »

You can overpay Potions, but not $0.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/991269/can-you-overpay-by-s0-or-potion

So you can buy a Stonemason and overpay by $2P to gain two Scrying Pools. Nice!

Shame you can't do it with Philosopher's Stones.

This is going to be excellent.  No more buying multiple Potions!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

dudeabides

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: dudeabides
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2013, 03:56:02 pm »

The new dimensions that coin tokens and overpaying add to the game are huge, and I am really looking forward to playing with these cards. 

I am not, however, looking forward to how clunky the Goko interface will likely be with both overpaying and coin tokens.  It could be dreadful.
jsh357: the dude doesn't need to explain himself

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2013, 04:17:30 pm »

The new dimensions that coin tokens and overpaying add to the game are huge, and I am really looking forward to playing with these cards. 

I am not, however, looking forward to how clunky the Goko interface will likely be with both overpaying and coin tokens.  It could be dreadful.

iiwg, (that's if it weren't Goko), I would expect it to be pretty nice. I mean, one thing for whether you want to overpay or not, and then if you do, a little thing for how much. Coin tokens, a little box saying how many you have, you click on it to pay one.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2013, 04:22:15 pm »
+1

I just find it interesting how swapping the +Card for a +Buy makes Candlestick Maker cost $3 less than Baker.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2013, 04:35:12 pm »

+Buy is important, but it's not the sort of thing you want lots of copies of (usually). That's why it's ok at a lower price.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2013, 04:39:09 pm »

+Buy is important, but it's not the sort of thing you want lots of copies of (usually). That's why it's ok at a lower price.
Well, I think we'd all expect it to be lower. But 3 lower? Usually it seems to be 2, or a little more than 2.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2013, 04:45:27 pm »

I think Candlestick Maker is pretty comparable to other $2 cards like Pawn, Lighthouse, and Herbalist.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2013, 04:49:43 pm »
+1

I don't know if this was already mentioned, but without Throne Room or King's Court in the kingdom, Merchant Guild is exactly like a Bridge with the cost reduction delayed. (Edge case: Cards that would be 0-Cost if you had played bridge)

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2013, 04:51:02 pm »

Lighthouse the most similar to CM. The added bonus of protection and +$1 your next turn is on par with the +1 buy +1 coin.

Also compare Market Square with Lab. That is swapping +1 Card for +1 Buy and makes it two cheaper, with a reaction thrown in. So for non terminal cards, $3 being the difference between a Card and a Buy isn't that shocking.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2013, 04:57:59 pm »

Wow. This has got 255 top member count on today. That's huge.
By the way, anyone know when we got 355?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2013, 04:59:48 pm »
+2

Wow. This has got 255 top member count on today. That's huge.
By the way, anyone know when we got 355?
Never. But 335 was last August 16, which iirc, was the full Dark Ages cardlist.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2013, 05:16:22 pm »

Well, I think we'd all expect it to be lower. But 3 lower? Usually it seems to be 2, or a little more than 2.
3 is a little more than 2.  ;)
-The Compulsive Completist

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2013, 05:17:59 pm »
+2

Naw, 3 is a LOT more than 2 - that's 50% man!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2013, 05:22:08 pm »

Best argument for having a threesome.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2013, 05:27:12 pm »
+2

THAT'S the best argument you got?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2013, 05:36:51 pm »

THAT'S the best argument you got?

I meant to convince your other.. like "Hey, we're already using two people.. three people is just a little bit more; no biggie."

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2013, 06:41:50 pm »

The Guilds cards! Finally! And there really is a Candlemaker. Too much to say about these cards for now.

Though some of these cards are pretty simple in terms of card text, I predict that the coin tokens will shake things up by making the game faster. The more coin tokens you get, the easier it becomes to get exactly what you want with little consequence.

I have a question about Stonemason. Can you overpay for it with a Potion? Like, can someone pay 8$ and 1 potion for Stonemason to get 2 Possessions?

I hope the secret history confirms or denies my assumption that Soothsayer was designed before marauder?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2013, 06:48:27 pm »

The Guilds cards! Finally! And there really is a Candlemaker. Too much to say about these cards for now.

Technically a CandleSTICK Maker.

Though some of these cards are pretty simple in terms of card text, I predict that the coin tokens will shake things up by making the game faster. The more coin tokens you get, the easier it becomes to get exactly what you want with little consequence.

Indeed.

I have a question about Stonemason. Can you overpay for it with a Potion? Like, can someone pay 8$ and 1 potion for Stonemason to get 2 Possessions?

Yes.

I hope the secret history confirms or denies my assumption that Soothsayer was designed before marauder?

We'll have to see.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2013, 06:49:28 pm »

Yes.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2013, 06:52:34 pm »

I'd say Lab -> Market Square is more than a little more than 2.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

easwaran

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2013, 07:18:18 pm »
+1

I'm surprised no one has compared Candlestick Maker to Squire. One money (approximately), and instead of 2 actions or 2 buys, you get one of each. And the Candlestick Maker doesn't get promoted when it's killed. 2 buys is rarely better than 1 buy, and Squire isn't really good as a village, so this seems comparable. Especially since I don't yet know how much a coin token is better than a coin - the possibility of going 3/5 instead of 4/4 on consecutive turns seems quite powerful.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2013, 09:23:41 pm »

So the Guilds cards kind of match the expectations I had about this set after seeing the previews, which was that Guilds would be filled with support cards. Whereas Dark Ages had more cards and card combos that defined strategies on their own (think Rebuild, tfb+Fortress/Rats, trasher +Market Square) and often situational, the Guilds cards are there to enhance the many strategies that we already know. In the end, coin tokens are just money. The strength of that money comes from what you buy with it.

Also, the cost jump from Herbalist to Merchant's guild is pretty steep just for delayed coin tokens. I'm guessing Merchant's guild plays out better in an engine that can afford some Pearl Divers or something. And gosh, Herbalist barely competes with Candlestick Maker, which itself has to compete with Lighthouse.

dudeabides

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: dudeabides
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2013, 11:03:30 pm »

iiwg, (that's if it weren't Goko), I would expect it to be pretty nice. I mean, one thing for whether you want to overpay or not, and then if you do, a little thing for how much. Coin tokens, a little box saying how many you have, you click on it to pay one.
IIWG is key.  I could see overpay simply being enacted by playing more treasure than you need to. In which case, you would have to think more carefully before playing treasure cards.  Alternatively, it could be like you suggest, and the "little thing for how much" interface being like the Zaps interface, where there is only a "+" button and no "-" button.  You're right about the coin tokens; that interface should be fine.
jsh357: the dude doesn't need to explain himself

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2013, 12:59:46 am »
+2

soothsayer is a marauder, with curse replacing ruin and actual gold replacing spoils. and then it let others draw.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.