Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Card Photos  (Read 73636 times)

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
Re: Card Photos
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 11:02:05 am »

I see Merchant Guild having a Goons-esque megaturn with Watchtower present.  Build an engine that gives 40 buys, and then gain 400 coin tokens.  Of course, you can't spend the coin tokens the same turn, which is why you'd want to Watchtower away to Copper.

You probably can. After the first 30 buys you have 30 tokens which you can use for the last 10 buys. I think.

You can only use coin tokens during your buy phase and before buying a card.

Edit: Except for those special cards which let you spend them for other things (Butcher)

You have to use them before buying A SINGLE card of before buying the FIRST card?

But yeah, probably you're right.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 11:02:29 am »
+5

So Advisor is the Envoy-atory.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 11:02:53 am »

that doesn't work because MG is only while it's in play, so you wouldn't get 9 tokens per buy, just 3.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 11:03:03 am »
+5

So, can I "overpay" for Stonemason by $0 and gain two free Peddlers?  Or for that matter, Ruins, or some other actions with cost reduction?
Well you *do* need a signature...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 11:04:41 am »

I see Merchant Guild having a Goons-esque megaturn with Watchtower present.  Build an engine that gives 40 buys, and then gain 400 coin tokens.  Of course, you can't spend the coin tokens the same turn, which is why you'd want to Watchtower away to Copper.
How about KC KC MG MG MG.  That could get pretty crazy too.  Just a thought.

Merchant Guild has a "While in play" clause.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 11:06:06 am »

Soothsayer is going to lead to some interesting decisions - do I block the Attack, or do I draw a card?  Of course, Watchtower lets you have both.

EDIT:  Didn't DonaldX mention that another theme of this expansion was making Watchtower better?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:07:08 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 11:07:04 am »

Stonemason is pretty sweet. So, I can pay $9 and get two KC's! Hell yeah! I'm really loving this set. Masterpiece just loves Feodum.

Soothsayer seems pretty nice. Most likely not  on the power level of Mountebank or Witch, but still solid.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 11:07:11 am »
+2

Soothsayer is going to lead to some interesting decisions - do I block the Attack, or do I draw a card?  Of course, Watchtower lets you have both.
no it doesn't...

holy crap: 29 Members and 74 Guests are viewing this topic.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 11:07:19 am »

You probably can. After the first 30 buys you have 30 tokens which you can use for the last 10 buys. I think.

You can only use coin tokens during your buy phase and before buying a card.

Edit: Except for those special cards which let you spend them for other things (Butcher)

You have to use them before buying A SINGLE card of before buying the FIRST card?

But yeah, probably you're right.

You can rephrase it to "before a card has been bought" if you think that wording was ambiguous.  Basically it's the same rule as playing Treasures, except you can't use coin tokens during the Black Market buy.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 11:08:05 am »

Stonemason is pretty sweet. So, I can pay $9 and get two KC's! Hell yeah! I'm really loving this set. Masterpiece just loves Feodum.

Soothsayer seems pretty nice. Most likely not  on the power level of Mountebank or Witch, but still solid.

And Gardens, but it's going to be absolutely useless otherwise.  You have to overpay by at least $2 in order to actually get your money's worth out of it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 11:08:32 am »
+1

I guess I'll give my initial reactions.

Candlestick Maker
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+1 Action. +1 Buy. Take a Coin token.

From all the Coin token cards shown, I'm guessing Coin tokens must be pretty darn powerful. This is a Copper with an extra Buy, but you can save the coin for later. I was hoping Journeyman would be the least interesting card in the set. They can't all be the most interesting card ever, I guess.

Stonemason
Cost: $2+
Trash a card from your hand. Gain 2 cards each costing less than it.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, gain 2 Action cards each costing the amount you overpaid.

The on-play effect looks terribly weak. Compare it to Develop. You get worse cards and they don't get topdecked. I'm guessing it'll be most useful for turning a Gold into 2 Duchies or some other expensive cards into 2 copies of Silk Road, Gardens, etc. Turning a Familiar into two Vineyards could be cool.

The on-buy effect seems very powerful. If you get one early, hopefully those new awesome Actions will offset having the Stonemason in your deck.

Masterpiece
Types: Treasure
Cost: $3+
Worth $1.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, gain a Silver per $1 you overpaid.

I was wondering if we'd get a card that gained Silvers based on how much you overpaid. Turns out we did. It's a shame it's just a Copper after the buy, but I like the overpay effect.

Advisor
Cost: $4
+1 Action. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. The player to your left chooses one of them. Discard that card. Put the other cards into your hand.

Probably stronger once you get rid of your initial Estates. Seems weak in general, but I'm probably underestimating it.

Plaza
+1 Card. +2 Actions. You may discard a Treasure card. If you do, take a Coin token.

A village that turns Coppers into Coin tokens. As I said, Coin tokens must be awesome for this ability to be worthwhile.

Taxman
Types: Action – Attack
You may trash a Treasure from your hand. Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a copy of it (or reveals a hand without it). Gain a Treasure card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, putting it on top of your deck.

Hmm, unlike Mine, I think I'd rather trash Copper most of the time. Any other Treasure makes the attack much less likely to hit, I would think. Cool card.

Merchant Guild
Cost: $5
+1 Buy. +$1.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, take a Coin token.

The return of Seaside! Terrible this turn for a big bonus on future turns. I like it.

Soothsayer
Types: Action – Attack
Cost: $5
Gain a Gold. Each other player gains a Curse. Each player who did draws a card.

I remember Donald talking about an Alchemy card that was [Gain a Gold; each other player gains a Curse]. He said it was either great or terrible depending on how quickly you got it. I guess the card drawing offsets that somehow?

Am I misremembering, or is this the first "Gain a Gold" card that you don't have to jump through hoops for? Bag of Gold has you jumping through hoops to get it, and all the others I can think of (Treasure Map, Tunnel, Market Square) have you jumping through hoops to use them. Strange to finally have a card that just straight-up gains a Gold, especially after the Curses run out.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:08:05 pm by LastFootnote »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 11:09:04 am »
+5

Also - these all have much better art - I think DonaldX was just trolling us with the previews.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 11:09:19 am »
+2

I don't really like the wording on Soothsayer. I can already see the people I play with in reallife arguing that "Each player who did draws a card" also applies to them when they play it, because they gained a Gold.
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 11:10:56 am »

So, can I "overpay" for Stonemason by $0 and gain two free Peddlers?  Or for that matter, Ruins, or some other actions with cost reduction?

I'm guessing not. You'll notice that Stonemason is the only overpay card with an "if you do" clause. Peddler is probably the reason.

EDIT: Nevermind. Masterpiece also has that wording. Still, my guess stands.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:12:21 am by LastFootnote »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 11:11:25 am »
+1

Winners: eHalcyon for Advisor AKA Harbinger, and LastFootnote andwilk for Journeyman AKA Gatherer.

Edit: Somehow I got the names wrong.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:16:41 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 11:12:29 am »
+1

And Gardens, but it's going to be absolutely useless otherwise.  You have to overpay by at least $2 in order to actually get your money's worth out of it.

It's a Silver Flooder.  BM-Masterpiece might even be interesting.  Instead of buying a Gold, you essentially gain 1 Copper and 3 Silvers.  Even better when you have $7 to spend.  It would probably go well with Envoy.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 11:13:33 am »

I'm guessing not. You'll notice that Stonemason is the only overpay card with an "if you do" clause. Peddler is probably the reason.

EDIT: Nevermind. Masterpiece also has that wording. Still, my guess stands.

Well, I think there is a difference between choosing not to overpay, versus choosing to overpay by $0.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2013, 11:13:40 am »

Winners: eHalcyon for Advisor AKA Harbinger, and LastFootnote for Journeyman AKA Gatherer.

Gatherer isn't mine. andwilk made it.

I did make a card called Soothsayer for the contest, but I like the official one better.  :D

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2013, 11:13:53 am »

It's a Silver Flooder.  BM-Masterpiece might even be interesting.  Instead of buying a Gold, you essentially gain 1 Copper and 3 Silvers.  Even better when you have $7 to spend.  It would probably go well with EnvoyAdvisor.

FTFY

I mean, yeah, Envoy is more BM-y, but they do cost the same, and Advisor is actually in this expansion.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2013, 11:13:56 am »

I don't really like the wording on Soothsayer. I can already see the people I play with in reallife arguing that "Each player who did draws a card" also applies to them when they play it, because they gained a Gold.
I am assuming clarifying that will be the first entry in Soothsayer's FAQ.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2013, 11:16:08 am »
+9

First time the curser hasn't been on-theme with the expansion—Soothsayer doesn't use coin tokens or overpaying. I'm obscurely disappointed about that.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2013, 11:16:25 am »
+4

but the most important question is: do these cards help to empty the supply in 3 turns? stonemason is the only one that might I think.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2013, 11:17:24 am »

Am I misremembering, or is this the first "Gain a Gold" card that you don't have to jump through hoops for? Bag of Gold has you jumping through hoops to get it, and all the others I can think of (Treasure Map, Tunnel, Market Square) have you jumping through hoops to use them. Strange to finally have a card that just straight-up gains a Gold, especially after the Curses run out.

Governor?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2013, 11:17:59 am »
+1

Well, I think there is a difference between choosing not to overpay, versus choosing to overpay by $0.
I don't get how you can overpay by 0.

a: "Hey, I bought a car for 20.000$"
b: "What? My car is exactly the same and I only payed 20.000$ instead of 20.000$"
a: "Really? You say I overpayed 0$ for my car? Oh man, sucks to be me..."
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2013, 11:20:04 am »

explorer is also a card which gains gold, but isn't easy to do.

heh, just realized: an explorer and province in hand can gain you a gold. A tournament and province in hand can gain you a gold that turn for sure too if nobody else has a province in hand.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.