Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mortgage  (Read 1603 times)

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
Mortgage
« on: June 12, 2013, 05:07:49 pm »

Mortgage, Action/Duration, $5
Discard three Treasure cards from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing up to $8, and place a number of Coin tokens on this card equal to the cost of the card you gained in coins.
---
At the beginning of your turn, discard a Treasure card from your hand (or reveal a hand with no Treasure cards). If you do discard a Treasure card, remove a coin token from this card. At the beginning of your clean-up phase, if there are no coin tokens on this card, discard it from play.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Mortgage
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 06:46:48 pm »

Seems pretty weak to me. Playing this probably means not buying anything that turn anyway, so it's only useful if you have three Treasure cards but less than $8 or whatever the card you gain costs, probably $6-8. And then it will 8 times make you lose at least $1 (Potion and HoP aside), while it misses the reshuffle multiple times. So if you're gaining Provinces, you're gaining about $4 or $5 of value when you play this in the early game, $2-4 in the mid game and nothing in the late game, and losing at least $8 afterwards. Therefore, at best, you're losing only $3.

The idea is cool though. I think it should just gain up to $8 and place the tokens without discarding any Treasures when you play it, wouldn't probably break games. You could have something like "worth -1VP for each coin token on this card at the end of the game" if gaining Provinces in the end game is too strong.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:50:16 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 07:34:25 pm »

The other weakness is non-Treasure money - get enough of that, and you don't care that your Mortgage never gets discarded. In fact, I would love to open Mortgage/Fishing Village on a Peddler board, especially one with decent trashing.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 07:36:20 pm »
+1

Obviously it's terrible in a money-based strategy, you can have a Province for $5 and passing a turn when you activate it, and then you are hit by a super-Cutpurse for the next eight turns.

Ideally, you pair it up with an engine which can draw your deck, get a Mortgage on a Province, and then draw the Treasures again to buy another Mortgage. There is quite deliberately no penalty for not paying it off by the end of the game.

jbrecken

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 12:52:19 am »

Does "remove a coin token from this card" mean to remove the token from the card and put it with the player's other coin tokens so it can be spent, or to remove the token from the card and return it to the coin token supply?

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 05:16:01 am »

You don't ever get to spend the coin tokens, they just count how many turns until you pay off your "debt". They aren't Guilds' "Coin tokens", but rather coin tokens as in Pirate Ship and Trade Route.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.