Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 82  All

Author Topic: MXXVII: CLUE Mafia Mafia Wins  (Read 184754 times)

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: CLUE Mafia (SIGN-UPS OPEN NOW) 1 Players Needed
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2013, 08:50:06 pm »

well ash already stated intent to hammer and so is already included... we still need a person to take the 12th spot.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2013, 08:51:30 pm »

got an upcoming v/la that i have 0 access so i can't. Can I have speccy tho?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2013, 07:54:38 am »

Re/in cant let it go by.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2013, 08:29:09 am »

Woooo!

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2013, 08:49:09 am »

Just send me my PM.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2013, 09:29:17 am »

Thread Locked

PMs Will Be Sent Out Shortly

Please Confirm via PM

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: CLUE Mafia (SIGN-UPS OPEN NOW) PMs Out.
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2013, 10:42:41 am »

PMs have been sent out. Day1 will start Friday at 10 a.m. forum time or earlier depending on how quick people confirm their roles

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
MXXVII: CLUE Mafia Night 0
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2013, 05:27:45 pm »

All players have confirmed receipt of PM. Day 1 (the giant party at rrenaud's) will start Friday at 10 a.m. forum time.

Let me know via PM if you have any questions about your PM or game rules.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: MXXVII: CLUE Mafia Night 0
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2013, 10:24:24 am »

Day1 Start

Rrenaud's mansion was creepy. Not creepy like a old haunted mansion might be. But rather creepy like the home a 80-year-old woman with her 50 year-old-son might be. You know... Nothing was clean. The study has a bunch of old magazines stacked in all four corners. The Library had work-out VHS tapes from the 80s. The Billiard Room had been converted into a sketchy photography studio with wayyyyy too many nude portraits of the 80-year-old woman. Baby doll heads were scattered throughout the Ballroom. Just some weird stuff. So as the guests arrived yuma had some cleaning up to do. I know you all imagine him dressed up like a French maid (Pro-tip: he wasn't), but if you want to imagine him that way... Well what goes on in your sick imagination is completely up to you.

The door bell rang. So yuma RAN DOWN THE HALL and found Colonel Mustard and Professor Plum standing in the door way. "Perfect! You are early! You can help me clean," yuma shouted handing them some aprons and brooms. Soon the mansion was clean. Which was good timing as Mrs. White, Wadsworth the Butler, The Mechanic, The Cop, Mr. Green, Miss Scarlett, Yvette the Maid, The Singing Telegram Girl, and The Cook arrived.

"Let's see 2+1+2+1+2+2+2. That is Twelve. We just need one more!"
"No, that's 2+1+1+1+2+2+1+1. That is Eleven. We need two more! You numbskull..."
"Hmmm... very well then."

"While we wait, let's eat! Monkey brain soup is on the menu!

As the guests sat down to eat the door bell rang again. This time there was Mr. Boddy and Mrs. Peacock. Making a full 13 guests!

As the last two guests sat around the table yuma went to serve the food in the Kitchen. But he never came back. "Where did he go," the guests asked each other. They went and looked in the kitchen, but he wasn't to be found there. "We need to split up!" someone suggested.

And with that Day1 Begins
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:04:31 pm by yuma »

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2013, 10:26:47 am »

1.1. Vote Count

Not voting: (13) Voltaire, chairs, UmbarageOfSnow, Twistedarcher, Eevee, Robz, mcmcsalot, liopoil, Jimmmmm, shraeye, raerae, ashersky, nkirbit

Day1 Ends in 10 days. July 22nd at 10:30 a.m. forum time.

Thread Unlocked

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2013, 10:32:49 am »

Hello everyone! This game has been underway for three minutes and I already have Tim Curry's voice stuck in my head.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2013, 10:40:44 am »

Hi everyone, blah blah RVS blah blah.

Here's what I really want to talk about, I thought about this during signups and stuff:

Hider seems like a really interesting role. Either he makes an IC, or he dies behind a mafia / vigilante. Of course, if he dies behind a mafia / vigilante, that's useless for town unless we knew who he was hiding behind.

Would it be beneficial for town if, before the end of the day, everyone posted a list of who they would hide behind, if they were the hider? With everyone saying this, there would be 10 townies saying who they'd hide behind, if they were the hider. This would hopefully be enough to give scum little information on who the hider was. Another option we could do, rather than each person choosing, is to simply go up or down the signup list. This has the advantage of covering the hider's tracks better, but probably makes it harder to find a scum to hide behind.

I just feel that if Hider hides behind scum N1, without a way for us to figure out who that scum is, Hider potentially becomes a negative-utility role. If hider dies N1, though, we can look at our list, and work backwards to see who he hid behind, and know that that person is more than likely scum.

I've never played with hider before, so maybe this has been tried before and proven to be a terrible idea, but I don't think it is.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2013, 10:58:29 am »

Goodness gracious some of those names are hard to read. Any thoughts on name claiming?

For now I'm just happy to be playing again and glad that I don't have to worry about being scum on my first game back.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2013, 11:01:57 am »

Goodness gracious some of those names are hard to read. Any thoughts on name claiming?

For now I'm just happy to be playing again and glad that I don't have to worry about being scum on my first game back.
One of the names will have meaning on alignment/role - so I don't see any value in giving scum that information right now.

I could totally see it making sense later.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2013, 11:05:43 am »

Another option we could do, rather than each person choosing, is to simply go up or down the signup list.
Can you clarify what you're saying here?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2013, 11:08:19 am »

Another option we could do, rather than each person choosing, is to simply go up or down the signup list.
Can you clarify what you're saying here?

He means, say the player list, in signup order is:

Alice
Bob
Chris

We agree that if Alice is the Hider she will hide behind Bob, if Bob is the Hider he will hide behind Chris, and if Chris is the hider he will hide behind Alice.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
Re: MXXVII: CLUE Mafia Day1
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2013, 11:08:54 am »

Yeah, Jimm has it right.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2013, 11:09:57 am »

Hi everyone, blah blah RVS blah blah.

Here's what I really want to talk about, I thought about this during signups and stuff:

Hider seems like a really interesting role. Either he makes an IC, or he dies behind a mafia / vigilante. Of course, if he dies behind a mafia / vigilante, that's useless for town unless we knew who he was hiding behind.

Would it be beneficial for town if, before the end of the day, everyone posted a list of who they would hide behind, if they were the hider? With everyone saying this, there would be 10 townies saying who they'd hide behind, if they were the hider. This would hopefully be enough to give scum little information on who the hider was. Another option we could do, rather than each person choosing, is to simply go up or down the signup list. This has the advantage of covering the hider's tracks better, but probably makes it harder to find a scum to hide behind.

I just feel that if Hider hides behind scum N1, without a way for us to figure out who that scum is, Hider potentially becomes a negative-utility role. If hider dies N1, though, we can look at our list, and work backwards to see who he hid behind, and know that that person is more than likely scum.

I've never played with hider before, so maybe this has been tried before and proven to be a terrible idea, but I don't think it is.

Hider hides behind the person just below them in signup list, and if they die boom mafia?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2013, 11:11:02 am »

Well, probably. There's a chance the person would be vigilante, but yes odds are they are mafia.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2013, 11:17:09 am »

Well, probably. There's a chance the person would be vigilante, but yes odds are they are mafia.
And isn't vig also usually negative utility? It seems like this setup is designed (well, I might add) to have town potentially very suspicious of itself.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2013, 11:25:27 am »

And isn't vig also usually negative utility? It seems like this setup is designed (well, I might add) to have town potentially very suspicious of itself.

I can see positive utility in vig, but imho in this setup I'd probably opt for tracker if I were the person making the choice.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2013, 11:46:36 am »

Well, this is my first ever online game of mafia, I guess I've got to break the ice, and post something now. I mean, how are we to get acquainted if we don't say anything about ourselves? It's always difficult when a group of new friends meet together
for the first time, so I'm glad TwistedArcher started the ball rolling . . . I mean, I have absolutely no idea what we're doing
here, or what I'm doing here, or why Yuma's text now sounds exactly like Tim Curry in my head.

In all seriousness, I'm super excited.  I like TA's plan(s) for the hider, but I'm not sure which one is better.  Either way, I think having a policy for all of us is a good idea so whatever information they learn won't be lost when they die.

I think I'm leaning toward the "who would you pick" option.  That allows for judgement calls into who should be investigated.  It seems to me the Hider has increasingly good odds of dying every night, so although Mafia will almost certainly be able to piece together hints as to who it is and who's been actually getting investigation results, by the time they do, odds are the hider will die anyway.  And maybe on their last night, they'll hide behind scum!

It seems to me that the biggest problem is conveying your results.  Let's say I'm the hider.  Before night, I really suspect TA, so I say "If I were the hider, I'd hide behind TA."  Well, I survive the night, so now I know TA isn't scum.  But all day yesterday I was attacking him, pointing out how every post he made just made him scummier and scummier.  Today, someone tries to get me to vote for him and I say I don't think he's that scummy anymore.  Wouldn't it be obvious that I'm the hider at this point?  So unless the hider wants to participate in town-side bussing, it seems like maybe the hider should be targeting their town reads rather than their scum reads.  That way, their information would be retroactively useful after they died, but they wouldn't really have to change their play because of it.

I've never played with a hider before, or with this many people actually, so I could be completely wrong here...

Anyway, have fun everyone.  I am determined to enjoy myself and I'm very intrigued and oh, my, this soup's delicious isn't it?

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2013, 11:54:28 am »

Oh, and the other problem with that is that if several people said they would hide behind the same person, scum could target that person in particular with better odds of getting two kills for one.  And people everyone has town reads on are more likely to be scum targets anyway, aren't they?

Okay, so maybe that is a bad idea, or it needs to be worked around.  What if each player had to declare who they'd hide behind, but no repeats allowed?  Does that make it any better?

Maybe random is better after all.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2013, 11:59:49 am »

Sorry to keep posting like this.  I actually tend to abuse the hell out of the edit feature on forums, because I  always do a bunch of thinking about things as I read over my post once after posting it.

But the reason I'm thinking people might want to pick is also that it would give a larger number of useful turns.  The information of confirming someone as town is important, even if we don't find out until a few days in.  But if the hider goes after their biggest scum read, and is right on the first day, well we confirm one scum instantly, which is good, but we have no confirmed town at all.  It seems the longer the hider stays alive, the better their odds of further narrowing down the suspect pool.

Maybe the best result is a compromise.  The hider could pick the exact center of their reads-list.  So before night, we all list our reads, and we agree that the hider would hide behind the person dead center (or an agreed upon spot).  That way, we aren't all fighting to pick the person we all are sure is town, but we also aren't super likely to have the hider die on night 1.  And I don't know that the hider would have to adjust their play much different than any of us, given that the people in the middle we're all presumably ambivalent on?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2013, 12:01:51 pm »

But if the hider goes after their biggest scum read, and is right on the first day, well we confirm one scum instantly, which is good, but we have no confirmed town at all.  It seems the longer the hider stays alive, the better their odds of further narrowing down the suspect pool.
In general a 1-for-1 trade is great for town, and I don't see any reason why that would be different in this setup. We'd lynch scum the next day, and we're good.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 82  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.