Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Comparing Fishing Vilage and Caravan  (Read 2299 times)

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
Comparing Fishing Vilage and Caravan
« on: June 12, 2013, 08:18:03 am »

although these are 2 totally diferent cards i want to compare their costs.
Fishing Village costs 3$ while Caravan 4$.

Let´s Compare the duration part and the on play part:

On Play
:

FV : +2Action +1$ what is worse than a squire so a worse 2$ but with +2Actions often usefull.

Caravan: +1 Card +1Action a cantrip wich is worth less than 2 and almost never usefull. (edge cases: peddler conspirator...)

Duration Effect:
FV : +1Action +1$  as a duration effect is like a previously played bazaar which costs 5$

caravan: +1 Card is like a Laboratory which costs 5$

so why does FV cost only 3$? I think it could even cost 4$ and be strong enough to compete with scout caravan

or could caravan cost 3$ too? i dont get why they have different costs.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:49:01 am by RTT »

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
Re: Comparing Fishing Vilage and Caravan
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:23:10 am »

The costs around $3 and $4 really don't matter so much - it's not so much harder to have $4 than $3. The main thing is that if one is strictly better than another, it has to cost $4 and the other has to be $3. But otherwise more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better; $4 stops you from opening with two of them, for example.

Fishing Villages in particular would play very differently at $4, since they'd be harder to rush. Probably DXV thought that it was more fun this way.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:58:24 am »
+1

Often the difference between 3 and 4 is a question of "will opening with two of these make things nuts?"  Opening with two Fishing Villages is not much different from having two extra Coppers until you buy some terminals.  Opening with two Caravans, though, is a bit like having two delayed Labs available as early as T3.

Also consider that +2 Actions + X is much less valuable than cantrip + X, and +1 card is often more useful than +$1.  That really tilts things in Caravan's favor.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 09:10:01 am »
+1

Hand size is very important. You might think you can do something important with an extra coin but generally you can do something more with an extra card.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 10:22:30 am »
+2

Lab is a very strong $5 while Bazaar is not. And while +2 Actions is often useful, it's also often a waste of handsize; a cantrip is normally completely useless and completely harmless.

Donald X. has said that he tries to have the costs as low as possible without breaking the game. Fishing Village would still be a good card at $4, but it doesn't have to be $4 because it doesn't break the game at $3. Caravan probably would be gamebreaking at $3, therefore it's $4.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 10:28:02 am »

$4 stops you from opening with two of them, for example.

Edge case: Baker!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 10:40:32 am »
+1

$4 stops you from opening with two of them, for example.

Edge case: Baker!
i´ll guess we will have more of those posts in the future

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 08:07:23 pm »

Often the difference between 3 and 4 is a question of "will opening with two of these make things nuts?"  Opening with two Fishing Villages is not much different from having two extra Coppers until you buy some terminals.  Opening with two Caravans, though, is a bit like having two delayed Labs available as early as T3.

Surely it's fairer to say the Fishing Villages are like delayed Peddlers with the Copper as a bonus? Or would you make the case that the Peddler part generally comes in too late to count it for purposes of asking whether FV is a good opener? (Whereas the same doesn't hold for Caravan's Lab effect, because double-Caravan would speed up cycling so much that it isn't slow in the same way?)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.801 seconds with 20 queries.