Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: slow players  (Read 3703 times)

noey21

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
slow players
« on: June 11, 2013, 07:27:37 am »

Is there anyway to know if someone is extremely slow.  I played someone today with a good record high rating but it was 3 minute turns.  I HONESTLY think they get their wins by having people resign.

How can this be countered?

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Re: slow players
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:34:35 am »

I'm not saying that this is the case, but if a user is experiencing heavy lagging, then that leads to very slow play. This is exactly why I don't play humans as Goko lags severely on my PC.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:44:46 am »
+1

Try to infer play pace from the goko logs?

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:50:06 am »
+5

Is there anyway to know if someone is extremely slow.  I played someone today with a good record high rating but it was 3 minute turns.  I HONESTLY think they get their wins by having people resign.

patience.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 11:57:12 am »

I don't follow. What did you have in mind?
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 12:01:12 pm »

I don't follow. What did you have in mind?
I guess a joke, but with those google people you never know...

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 12:33:17 pm »

Lots of players play games sequentially.  At the very least, you probably get a timestamp of when games end.

If two games ended less than say, one hour apart (maybe need some tweaking here), they were likely played back to back.  Then you have a rough idea about a particular games duration. 

You probably have hundreds of thousands of back to back games by players.

From this, you can try to build a model of player slowness from the game by game durations.

Yes, yes, yes, I understand that this is noisy, that the f'ing minion secret chamber game will just take forever and it's not your fault, that sometimes you grab a snack or make a telephone call before starting your next game, that sometimes the games are slow because of the other players, etc.  The data isn't going to perfect, the model certainly won't be perfect, but it is still plausibly useful.

Bonus points:  Make the goko extension grab the player speed data and display it before the match starts.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 12:47:21 pm »
+2

Lots of players play games sequentially.  At the very least, you probably get a timestamp of when games end.

If two games ended less than say, one hour apart (maybe need some tweaking here), they were likely played back to back.  Then you have a rough idea about a particular games duration. 

From this, you can try to build a model of player slowness from the game by game durations.

Yes, yes, yes, I understand that this is noisy, that the f'ing minion secret chamber game will just take forever and it's not your fault, that sometimes you grab a snack or make a telephone call before starting your next game, that sometimes the games are slow because of the other players, etc.  The data isn't going to perfect, the model certainly won't be perfect, but it is still plausibly useful.

Bonus points:  Make the goko extension grab the player speed data and display it before the match starts.

This might work for people who always host games, but for any player using the Goko lobby system to join games the back-to-back game is an exotic creature.

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 12:56:30 pm »
+1

I mean, as long as the time between games is much less than the time in games, the model will be fine.

If it's not the case, then what are you paying Goko for? :P

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 01:00:16 pm »
+2

I mean, as long as the time between games is much less than the time in games, the model will be fine.

The point is that the people for whom this is not the case are not paying for goko...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 01:30:34 pm »

If you wanted to use time between games as an indicator of game speed, just use the 40th percentile or something rather than the average. Chop off all of those really high outliers.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 01:35:09 pm »

I'm not paying them. I paid them. It's still an interesting time sink, as I can do something else whilst waiting for a game.

In any case, it's not as much that the wait is long (sometimes it is) as it is that the wait is wildly inconsistent.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 06:29:42 pm »
+1

Is this me? I play very deliberately on some boards where optimizing the order of card plays and buys is difficult.

Just because a player is high-level does not mean decisions are automatic. In fact, they often become less automatic because a player is more aware of the available possibilities and their effects.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 01:25:20 am »

I like this and I'm seriously considering implementing it. Sadly, I'm no JS programmer, so the bonus points are beyond my grasp.  :-\

FWIW, I'm one of the slowest players around. At least one of the slowest who can't blame it on his internet connection.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 09:34:34 am »

Is there something in goko that lets you kick players out if they are super slow (like iso)?

Ed

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 12:22:02 pm »
+1

They are auto-resigned after about 5 minutes of inactivity.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.