Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What's up with the Adventure Stars?  (Read 4724 times)

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
What's up with the Adventure Stars?
« on: June 10, 2013, 06:42:28 pm »

This has probably been brought up already (in fact, I'm sure it has) but I couldn't find it and didn't want to bump an old thread, so I want to say the title.
I just bought all 8 Provinces, and won 48-2, and got 2 stars. What do they want from me?

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
Re: What's up with the Adventure Stars?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:43:15 pm »
+9

You have to empty the supply on turn 4.

StrongRhino

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:52:48 pm »
+3

You have to empty the supply on turn 4.
In a game with no +buy?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:10:18 pm »

It has been brought up before. Basically, they picked how many points you have to win by to get different numbers of stars formulaically. And their algorithms can give pretty stupid things for that sometimes. Like, maybe the number for 3 stars ended up being a 50-point difference, so you'd need all 8 provinces AND some duchies.

On some kingdoms, it ends up being trivial to get 3 stars, and on some kingdoms, it ends up being basically impossible. Them's the works. People don't complain about it much only because the stars don't actually matter for anything; if they mattered, lots of people would be up in arms about it, I bet.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 07:15:32 pm »
+1

Asked here six months ago: https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/difficulty_achieving_three_stars_in_adventures

This was the official answer by Tanya, their rep at the time:

Hi Shrike,

I agree with you that it looks very strange that with 57-1 you get only two stars awarded, but I can explain why it may be so. The amount of stars that you get at the end depends on two factors: the amount of VP points you get at the end of a game and the advantage/disadvantage in your starting hand at the beginning. The magic number of VP points you should get to be able to get 3 stars awarded is 56, but (!) only when all players have equal starting hands. Every card which gives you an advantage in comparison with your partner adds one more point to this magic number, and each card that gives you a disadvantage, subtracts one from this number. What I could see in your situation that you, most likely, started with an advantage of more than 2 cards (for example your partner had 3 curses and you had 3 estates). So your magic number of VP increased to more than 57, because you had the advantage. In this case, at the end of the game you need to get more than 57 VP, which you didn't, even though it was so close. In another case you described, you didn't achieve 56 VP points. Even if you started with a disadvantage, to get the third star with VP 47 at the end you should've got 56-47=9 points disadvantage in the beginning, which is impossible.

But the more important thing I would like to add at the end of this long explanation is that we are going to rebalance the stars reward in the future, so 3 stars would be achieved easier in the first nodes of the game, and later would be harder. Your feedback does make sense and we are working on reward points rebalancing.

Thank you for your feedback

Tanya

They say they were going to rebalance the stars, but I don't remember whether that ended up happening. They rebalanced it some, I think, but not perfectly. I think. Not sure.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 09:12:21 pm »

It has been brought up before. Basically, they picked how many points you have to win by to get different numbers of stars formulaically. And their algorithms can give pretty stupid things for that sometimes. Like, maybe the number for 3 stars ended up being a 50-point difference, so you'd need all 8 provinces AND some duchies.

On some kingdoms, it ends up being trivial to get 3 stars, and on some kingdoms, it ends up being basically impossible. Them's the works. People don't complain about it much only because the stars don't actually matter for anything; if they mattered, lots of people would be up in arms about it, I bet.

I was experimenting, and I think that the stars aren't based on VP differential, but simply on the number of points that you have when you win.  So 54-42 would be the same as 54-10.  If you're going for max stars on various levels, you have to play like a...rude person. 

Basically, a bot won't buy out a pile if it will end the game and make them lose.  So you have to get to a quick lead in Provinces, then instead of ending the game, start picking up all the other greens that you can.  Don't worry about wrecking your deck, because the bots won't end the game until they would be winning.  And if you're far enough ahead, that's impossible.  So you might have to build back up for maybe 20 turns to have enough to buy that last province, but they'll give you time.

It's annoying, but if you want them stars....

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:41:24 am »

What I'd be interested in is how the stars for a whole campaign are calculated (those you see on the adventure overview map). In Hinterlands III for example I've finished every game with 3 stars except one (2 stars), and on the map I still only get 2 stars for the campaign.

I mean, sure, that's totally irrelevant and I don't care about that at all, but it still seems strange.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 11:50:17 am »

What I'd be interested in is how the stars for a whole campaign are calculated (those you see on the adventure overview map). In Hinterlands III for example I've finished every game with 3 stars except one (2 stars), and on the map I still only get 2 stars for the campaign.

I mean, sure, that's totally irrelevant and I don't care about that at all, but it still seems strange.

Probably min(stars for individual games)

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 11:52:53 am »

No, not min.  For Base Set part 1, I have six 3stars, 11 2stars, 3 1star ratings.  But my overall is 2 stars.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 11:59:35 am »

No, not min.  For Base Set part 1, I have six 3stars, 11 2stars, 3 1star ratings.  But my overall is 2 stars.

OK... maybe something like:

0 stars: 0 stars in every game
1 star: {something relatively poor)
2 stars: everything inbetween 1 star and 3 stars
3 stars: 3 stars in every game

which is still reasonable.  If 3 stars is the best you can do in an individual game, then 3 stars for the entire campaign should be the best you can do for the whole campaign, which is 3 stars in every game.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 12:04:57 pm »

Sadly, I think that is likely...that they have a HUUUUGE 2 star window, and every other option is incredibly narrowly defined.

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 06:39:49 pm »

OK... maybe something like:

0 stars: 0 stars in every game
1 star: {something relatively poor)
2 stars: everything inbetween 1 star and 3 stars
3 stars: 3 stars in every game

which is still reasonable.  If 3 stars is the best you can do in an individual game, then 3 stars for the entire campaign should be the best you can do for the whole campaign, which is 3 stars in every game.

The overall star assignment is:

From 0 to 19 stars you get zero stars
From 20 to 39 you get 1 star
From 40 to 59 you get 2 stars
At 60 you get 3 stars.

60 is the most you can get in a adventure I think.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 05:42:40 pm »

Recently, I learned that some Adventure-bots WILL buy the last province for the loss.  That's unfortunate, and makes 3-stars without zaps pretty much impossible on many boards.  Well, 2stars, here I come.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 05:57:53 pm »

Those spiteful jerkfaces.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

StrongRhino

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 07:02:29 pm »

Just won 42-0.

And got 1 star  :'(
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.