Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: New Promo Governor  (Read 15779 times)

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Re: New Promo Governor
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 05:06:01 pm »

It takes a while to get going, but Governor/Minion is a pretty deadly combo.  It's a lot of $5 cards to amass, so it probably doesn't go fast enough against stiff competition.  But playing it sure was fun.  If you draw a Governor or two, you can construct massive hands, play all your minions (and hopefully a non-terminal +buy), and then Minion away all the cards you gave to your opponent.

And if you don't draw your Governors, you can use Minion to take you to them.

Better yet, you could probably ignore the Minions when the opponents go for them, and simply use the Governors to clog the opponent's decks with silver while filling your own with Gold.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 02:14:30 pm »

It takes a while to get going, but Governor/Minion is a pretty deadly combo.  It's a lot of $5 cards to amass, so it probably doesn't go fast enough against stiff competition.  But playing it sure was fun.  If you draw a Governor or two, you can construct massive hands, play all your minions (and hopefully a non-terminal +buy), and then Minion away all the cards you gave to your opponent.

And if you don't draw your Governors, you can use Minion to take you to them.

Another benefit to its synergy with Minion is that it actually helps you get rid of your silvers (those pesky things you need to get to the Minions in the first place) and uncluttering your deck, while replacing them with Minions. Though there is the downside of buying a Governor means you're behind one Minion if you're in a race for them, but if you get to do this once before the Minions run out you should catch up if not pull ahead on the Minions and be in a better position when they've run out.

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 04:51:46 pm »
+1

Dudes. I don't think any "flavor" was created for this card beyond what came from Puerto Rico.

Certainly the card was inspired by Puerto Rico, but who's to say the exact name of the card wasn't chosen -- from among other names that could also be derived from Puerto Rico -- because it had additional flavor to offer?  Whether it happened this way or not, it's pretty easy to imagine Donald looking at a list of Puerto-Rico-inspired names and purposely picking the one that was doubly significant.

Regardless, though, the fact that a compelling alternative flavor interpretation is interesting in and of itself.  That is, the observation is sound whether or not it has anything to do with the original intention.
You caught me. It drives me nuts when people speak in absolutes as well as presume others' intentions, and here I was basically doing that. Rinks is correct, of course. I could have better made the point without that sentence in the first place; lesson learned. At least I presented that sentence as opinion instead of fact, yeah? ::)

I don't even like Puerto Rico. :o
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 05:20:05 pm »
+1

Dudes. I don't think any "flavor" was created for this card beyond what came from Puerto Rico.

Certainly the card was inspired by Puerto Rico, but who's to say the exact name of the card wasn't chosen -- from among other names that could also be derived from Puerto Rico -- because it had additional flavor to offer?  Whether it happened this way or not, it's pretty easy to imagine Donald looking at a list of Puerto-Rico-inspired names and purposely picking the one that was doubly significant.

Regardless, though, the fact that a compelling alternative flavor interpretation is interesting in and of itself.  That is, the observation is sound whether or not it has anything to do with the original intention.
You caught me. It drives me nuts when people speak in absolutes as well as presume others' intentions, and here I was basically doing that. Rinks is correct, of course. I could have better made the point without that sentence in the first place; lesson learned. At least I presented that sentence as opinion instead of fact, yeah? ::)

Heh, no worries.  Like you say, it was an opinion, and a perfectly legitimate one.  I disagreed with it for the reasons I stated, but there was nothing wrong with it.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2011, 08:29:22 pm »

Governor is just filthy when Chapel is on the board.  Buy one, Chapel everything else away, and you can give yourself a gold every turn - and once you start greening you can use your Governor to draw three more cards to your hand if you can't make $8.  Or, if you've got too many gold in your hand, well just remodel some into Provinces.  And that pesky Chapel that always sits around after your done using it...well it can be remodeled if there is a useful $4 on the board.

Sure it helps your opponent, but given the pace at which this can finish off a board silvers are just not going to help them very much.  I haven't played anyone who played optimally with these two cards, so I can't say for sure what the bonuses would do if well-executed.  But the couple times I've done this, I've gotten 5 or 6 Provinces within 12 or 13 turns and closed out the game.  In solo games I've been able to pretty reliably get all 8 Provinces within 16 turns by buying one Chapel and two Governors.

pooka

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 04:03:18 pm »

I find Governor to be underpriced.  It's a Lab that gives you an extra card, a Remodel that has a +action, and a Hoard that doesn't make you buy early green.  Here's a game where we emptied 3 green piles:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/29/game-20111129-113427-a36ed07b.html
Just for today... level 14

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 04:51:55 pm »
+1

I find Governor to be underpriced.  It's a Lab that gives you an extra card, a Remodel that has a +action, and a Hoard that doesn't make you buy early green.  Here's a game where we emptied 3 green piles:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/29/game-20111129-113427-a36ed07b.html

there is a cost to all of that though - your opponent is getting some benefit.  this cannot be ignored.  if you have any sort of fast paced strategy, your opponents governors are just going to enable it.

governor can certainly lead to faster games, but it doesn't mean the card is overpriced.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2011, 12:21:58 am »

I've had mixed success with Governor's Gain Gold --> Draw Cards --> Trash Gold for Province strategy. However, Governor is undeniably a great enabler of most massive-final-turn strategies. This game, if I may say so, is a perfect example: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111122-022252-11e8323e.html.

PS - I think it's rare that you can ignore Grand Markets and win, but it sure is fun when you do!

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 06:34:26 am »
+1

Five provinces in 9 turns with Governor/Chapel.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/30/game-20111130-032949-e706ec9f.html

I got somewhat lucky and my opponent didn't play ideally, but I think this highlights the power of Governor. Don't be so focused on the big end turn - gain gold/trash gold and get province is something that can be done really damn fast, and the game can be over soon enough that if anything giving your opponent silvers counts as an attack because it keeps him from getting to his governors. Avoid playing the lab option as much as you can - way too dangerous.

And here's a 12 turn 5 province with warehouse as an enabler.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/30/game-20111130-041548-a313e03f.html

I really feel like greening from turn 8 or 9 or so (or faster, with good trashing) is the best play. Like the remodel-gold, the governor-gold trash is relatively resistant to green cards in your deck, especially with warehouse. There's comparatively little point to waiting for the megaturn.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 07:38:00 am by Fangz »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 03:42:35 am »
+1

First time I actively used Governor as an attack: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/17/game-20120117-003744-0dd987c2.html

An attack, you say? That's right. My opponent was heavily investing in Peddlers, hoping to eventually Remodel them into Provinces I guess.
As I had no +Buy (chose Steward over Baron in the opening and got Governors instead of Markets) I had to throw some sawdust in his engine and Governor let me do this.

I gained a Gold with it almost every time and only late in the game I trashed for VP, but only if I could buy a Prov as well.
While I kept gaining Golds, he kept gaining Silvers and I figured this would hurt him more than it would help him.
Due to his Baron over Steward, he also had the Coppers to deal with.

In the end, my strategy worked out and I was very happy that I beat the entire internet!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2012, 04:18:53 pm »

Nobody's mentioned it yet, so I figured I might mention that Governor can be purchased from the BGG store now: link

It's $5 all by itself, like Walled Village was, but it's such an interesting card.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 03:10:33 am »
+4

Nobody's mentioned it yet, so I figured I might mention that Governor can be purchased from the BGG store now: link

It's $5 all by itself, like Walled Village was, but it's such an interesting card.
Walled Village should've cost $4 obviously.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 07:53:20 am »
+1

Yeah, I was confused too. I read: "Walled Village = 5$" and thought rinkworks made an error here. Only after re-reading it, I knew he meant real money. ;)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:25 am »
+1

Yeah, I was confused too. I read: "Walled Village = 5$" and thought rinkworks made an error here. Only after re-reading it, I knew he meant real money. ;)

But you actually get 11 copies of the card so it should cost $44. $5 is a bargain!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 11:25:16 am »
+2

Wow, that's a lot of Talismans you have in play.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.