Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: New Promo Governor  (Read 15775 times)

blackb

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
New Promo Governor
« on: October 20, 2011, 06:51:45 am »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Re: New Promo Governor
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 06:57:31 am »

For those who need it:

GOVERNOR. Cost 5.

+1 Action

Choose one: you get the version in parentheses.
Each player gets +1 (+3) cards; or each player gains a Silver (Gold); or each player may trash a card from his hand and gain a card costing exactly 1 (2) more.

This could be amazing with Militia. So much better than Council Room, I think, if you don't need the +Buy.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 07:58:42 am »

Finally! Been a long time coming, this Governor. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

sherwinpr

• Spy
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 11:13:47 am »

It's already on Isotorpic (if you want to play with it, just require it)!

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:25:10 am »

Fun card, I like the gimmick of one set of gains for the opponents, while yours are listed in brackets. Makes me want to create a variant of it.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 11:32:28 am »

Fun card, I like the gimmick of one set of gains for the opponents, while yours are listed in brackets.
Yeah, it's based on Puerto Rico's role selection mechanic.

play2draw

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 01:16:24 pm »

This looks like one of the funner Dominion cards. Most of the cards in Hinterlands are enjoyable in that they're very tense and complex. Governor seems much more relaxing.

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 01:19:02 pm »

This looks like one of the funner Dominion cards. Most of the cards in Hinterlands are enjoyable in that they're very tense and complex. Governor seems much more relaxing.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but Hinterlands is the kind of expansion you want at this stage in the game's life. So while this is a nice break, I really think Hinterlands is a great expansion.

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 03:51:34 pm »

Seems like an odd perspective, as Governor is probably one of the more complicated cards in the game now. It does three very different things, all of which provide some benefit to your opponent, and figuring out how to balance your gain against your opponent's is pretty involved.

Buttons

• Swindler
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 06:03:02 pm »

I'm hoping for a second card called "Puerto Rican Estate", costing $2, which gives every player 1 (2) victory points.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 04:25:19 am »

Can people post some experiences with this?

I've had generally good experiences and find its biggest benefit to be the Gold-giving, especially because Silver is not that great a card in the end game and may hamper your opponent (albeit less then Copper of course) a bit.

The +Cards seems to be more useful for your opponent, since your net result is 7 cards after playing this once from your original hand and your opponent's net result is 6 cards without having to spend an action. And if you have doubts if starting with more cards is better or drawing is, just think about Tactician.

The trashing seems only useful in the end game (Gold -> Province like Remodel) and you have to be careful not to give your opponent an opportunity to sneakily convert an outdated Forge or something into a Province on your turn! I think this helps your opponent more than the other choices in the beginning, since he can just gain easy Silvers (or Villages) from his Estates and trash his Coppers into nothingness. And you're stuck with generally mediocre $4's or Estates, hmm...

The fact that your opponent doesn't have to spend an action while gaining something makes up slightly for the bigger bonus that the active player gets. This may lead to Governor being moderately powerful instead of mega powerful, so I guess $5 is a good spot for it.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 06:19:56 am »

I'm not a huge fan of the card from my few games with it so far, but I have noticed the inbuilt combo:

Gain Golds early -> Draw cards for big hands to get Govenors and Golds together -> Remodel those Golds into Provinces.

Obviously if you want to be drawing and Remodeling in the same turn, you need quite a few Governor plays, so TR/KC help out here, but I have a feeling this combo was in mind when the cards was designed.

I, personally, would be happy to add Governor to the list of "single card engines" along with the Minion and level 3 Cities, the only 2 other cards that qualify IMO (Although that was before Hinterlands. JoaT probably qualifies now too since it provides the Silver you need to buy stuff).

xBino

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 03:18:28 pm »

anyone have an idea of when this be available for purchase on the BGG store?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3670
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 04:08:40 pm »

I think Governor is generally a decent pick up on most boards. The three cases where I think it really shines are:

1. Boards with discard attacks. Feel free to give them large hands, they'll just have to discard down to three anyway. Obviously this is not as strong as just making them discard, since they can set up their next turn, but I feel the benefit to you outweighs this drawback.

2. Possession boards. I think this is self explanatory. Using governor to draw a huge hand for yourself and your opponent is just amazing synergy. You are more likely to hit your possessions and then reap the benefits of their deck.

3. Colony games. In a province game gold is great and silvers are decent, but the difference often isn't worth the opportunity cost of getting governor in the first place. In a colony game, gold is good and silver is bad. Now you can actively improve your own deck while hurting the other guy. Win-Win!

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 06:10:27 pm »

All I can say about this card so far is that you better be damn careful how you build the deck and how you use it, because mindlessly dropping Silvers into an opponents deck and giving him free cards and upgrades is a great way to get your ass handed to you.

And I'll add that I really like the flavor of this card:  the Governer is on your payroll so he gives you the better perks, but he still has to cover his butt by giving concessions to everyone else.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:24:31 pm by Mean Mr Mustard »
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 10:12:07 pm »

Two simple observations:

1. If you know it's the last turn of the game, go nuts with your governating.

2. Governor works really well with King's Court, especially in the context of the above. OK, that's true of lots of things, but...

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 01:07:33 am »

2. Possession boards. I think this is self explanatory. Using governor to draw a huge hand for yourself and your opponent is just amazing synergy. You are more likely to hit your possessions and then reap the benefits of their deck.

And then you can use their Governors (if they have them) to give yourself another amazing turn (assuming they don't steal it).

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 04:12:40 am »

And then you can use their Governors (if they have them) to give yourself another amazing turn (assuming they don't steal it).

Alternatively (if they are likely to Possess you right back), you can use their turns for +Gold +Silver rather than cards.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:47 am »

Alternatively (if they are likely to Possess you right back), you can use their turns for +Gold +Silver rather than cards.

Or you can remake all the cards in your hand and Possess yourself.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 08:41:01 am »

Just make sure you get an extra buy when governors are in the kingdom.

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 04:58:18 pm »

Or you can remake all the cards in your hand and Possess yourself.

Ooh, that's evil, I like it.  Of course, this is the sort of card one shouldn't buy if Possession is on the board.

My first thought on this card echoed what Mean Mr Mustard said, somewhat.  It went something like this: "Hmm, when you play this card, you help everyone, but not as much as you help yourself.  How appropriate that it's named for a politician."

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 06:27:51 am »

I just used Governor as a counter to Treasure Map. I bought 3 and used them exclusively for Gold-gaining, giving my opponent 9 Silvers that he didn't want. He ended up buying 9 Treasure Maps and activated them only twice, on his 2nd last and 4th last turns.

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 01:50:04 pm »

Dudes. I don't think any "flavor" was created for this card beyond what came from Puerto Rico. 1: The Governor card in PR is similar to the button in poker, showing who was the starting player for each round. 2: When you choose your role/action everyone performs that action, but the bonus goes exclusively to you (you might recognize the same thing in RftG, which based its mechanics on PR). 3: The symbol in the corner of the promo card is the same as the icon on PR's Governor card, according to comments on the BGG thread.

Funny, I've only played PR two or three times (and RftG five times <--- and I own this one, why can't my wife be as geeky as me? :(  ).
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 01:09:49 pm »
+1

Dudes. I don't think any "flavor" was created for this card beyond what came from Puerto Rico.

Certainly the card was inspired by Puerto Rico, but who's to say the exact name of the card wasn't chosen -- from among other names that could also be derived from Puerto Rico -- because it had additional flavor to offer?  Whether it happened this way or not, it's pretty easy to imagine Donald looking at a list of Puerto-Rico-inspired names and purposely picking the one that was doubly significant.

Regardless, though, the fact that a compelling alternative flavor interpretation is interesting in and of itself.  That is, the observation is sound whether or not it has anything to do with the original intention.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 03:50:49 pm »

It takes a while to get going, but Governor/Minion is a pretty deadly combo.  It's a lot of $5 cards to amass, so it probably doesn't go fast enough against stiff competition.  But playing it sure was fun.  If you draw a Governor or two, you can construct massive hands, play all your minions (and hopefully a non-terminal +buy), and then Minion away all the cards you gave to your opponent.

And if you don't draw your Governors, you can use Minion to take you to them.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.