Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Request : How your strategy depends on your opponent ?  (Read 1341 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Request : How your strategy depends on your opponent ?
« on: June 09, 2013, 08:33:42 am »

Something that should be covered, I think.
A few cards really depends on your opponent's strategy : Rogue, Thief, Knights...
How and when do you decide to get them ?
A general article would be very welcome, if someone is interested...

(also a strategy article on rogue is absolutely needed : this card is very complex for me)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: Request : How your strategy depends on your opponent ?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:25:37 am »
+2

I think the issue is that something like this is so specific to the game that there isn't too much you can put in a general article. People are free to prove me wrong, but it seems very difficult.

General stuff I can think of:

Endgame Pile Control (I am awful at this. Primarily matters in engine games. I feel decent in my 3-pile control, but not in choosing good Victory card buys.)

Deciding when to counter a strategy or let it do its thing (Alt-VP is the main concern here)

Figuring out transitions that depend on the opponent (for instance, in games with a decent engine and an attack, you have to choose between getting the attack early and building up, then getting the attack, and both have merits. Attack first slows down your buildup, but slows down their buildup too. Build up -> get attack might take longer to set up, but if you start playing your attack almost every turn, it can catch up.)
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Request : How your strategy depends on your opponent ?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:59:31 am »

This is a very difficult thing to quantify. It gets a lot worse in 3 and 4 player games. In any moderate complexity multi player kingdom you will need to read your opponent's play or you will get into trouble. I could give some advice about not creating a deck that is vulnerable to attacks but there will still be games where an opponent ignores the potential attacks and will just buy provinces faster than your defensive deck. It would be the same with all the possible advice. Anything you do in attack, defense, or capability needs to be measured to still produce the highest scoring deck.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.