Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mint a Spoils?  (Read 5712 times)

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
Mint a Spoils?
« on: June 08, 2013, 06:26:43 pm »

I just tried to mint a spoils but Goko would not permit it. Is this accurate? The wording on Mint does not say anything about it having to be a treasure from the supply, but I'm guessing that's the reason? Thanks!

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
Re: Mint a Spoils?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 06:29:10 pm »
+1

Yes:

"gain" = from supply only.

"Gain from X" = from X only.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 06:30:13 pm »

That is indeed the reason. In the base game Dominion rulebook, it specifies that gaining usually means from the supply. The only exceptions are when a card specifies something else--like everything that gains Spoils says "from the Spoils pile," Hermit specifically mentions the Madman pile, and Tournament specifically mentions the Prize pile.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:16:12 pm »

Mine Spoils to Silver is a valid move, right?

Edge cases anyone?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 07:29:44 pm »

Yes, that is permitted, but you can't Mine Copper into Spoils.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 07:30:54 pm »

Feodum is an obvious one. There is always emptying the Silver pile to finish the game or Fairgrounds needing Silver to pump up. Also mandatory trashing like Golem into Mine or drawing it after TR-TR-drawer without other Treasures in hand.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 08:13:44 pm »
+7

Feodum is an obvious one. There is always emptying the Silver pile to finish the game or Fairgrounds needing Silver to pump up. Also mandatory trashing like Golem into Mine or drawing it after TR-TR-drawer without other Treasures in hand.

I think the most common reason to Mine a Spoils is because you thought it was a Mint.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 08:15:47 pm »

Forager's another. if you're using a Forager for cash and your opponent isn't, might as well bump it up, and Mine Spoils->Silver isn't even a bad move.

Or maybe you just need more treasure. Perhaps you've drawn your whole deck, but you don't have a bunch of spare actions - you need your money to come from treasures and not have to be replenished via actions. Mine Spoils->Silver is a reasonable way - it's $1 less this turn, but you don't have to keep playing your Marauder (or Pillage) to replenish it on future turns.

Obviously the usual cases with Fairgrounds/Menagerie/HoP, maybe you need a silver for variety. Feodum. Emptying the Silver pile.

Perhaps it's a 4-player game, and the other 3 people are going heavy on spoils-gainers, whereas you aren't, so it's worth your while to lower the number of spoils in the pile to mess them up a little.

Perhaps you have a bunch of Gardens - you don't want your Spoils to go away, and Mine spoils->silver effectively increases your deck size by 1 relative to playing the Spoils, again at a cost of $1.

...or, to be more general:
1) If you want silver in your deck
2) and you don't have any other Mine targets in hand
3) and you need $1 or $2 more this turn, but don't need the full $3 from spoils

then mine silver->spoils is likely to be a good move.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 09:38:32 pm »

The main exception to the "gain means gain from the supply" rule is Thief/Noble Brigand.  The card states that you gain the cards which are trashed, but it does not specify that you gain them from the trash.  It's not too big a deal, since it's clearly to most everyone what is intended.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 09:41:04 pm »
+2

The other possibility with the Mine-Spoils interaction is that you're doing so on a Possession turn, and you'd rather get a Silver into your deck than have $3 on your opponent's Possessed turn.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 09:42:55 pm »

for a while I thought that, say, if a thief hits silver, then the silver is trashed and you can gain a silver from the silver pile in the supply. Because of the way it's worded on the card, you could interpret it as "you may gain the trashed card". Okay, the trashed card is a silver. I gain a silver. but yeah, it's supposed to be the exact card. It hardly ever matters, the edge cases I can think of are:

-the silver pile might empty at some point
-graverobber/rogue
-forager

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 10:17:15 pm »

for a while I thought that, say, if a thief hits silver, then the silver is trashed and you can gain a silver from the silver pile in the supply. Because of the way it's worded on the card, you could interpret it as "you may gain the trashed card". Okay, the trashed card is a silver. I gain a silver. but yeah, it's supposed to be the exact card. It hardly ever matters, the edge cases I can think of are:

-graverobber/rogue
-forager

Also Spoils, Diadem, or treasures from the Black Market deck.  They aren't in the supply, but they can be gained via Thief.  Though not by Noble Brigand, of course.

Edit:  Oh, I think you were talking about the Silver example specifically.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 10:18:33 pm by SirPeebles »
Well you *do* need a signature...

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 12:07:55 am »

A reason to Mine Spoils into Silver is easy---it's a Province game, and apart from the Spoils you'd have $6 to spend, so you'd rather have the Silver you might be able to use again.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 12:11:07 am »
+1

The other possibility with the Mine-Spoils interaction is that you're doing so on a Possession turn, and you'd rather get a Silver into your deck than have $3 on your opponent's Possessed turn.

You'd have to really want that Silver, because playing the Spoils would remove it from your opponent's deck and by trashing it will be returned to your opponent's deck. In general that would be a bad move, so you would need to edge case the edge case to make it work.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 01:11:42 am »
+1

-graverobber/rogue
-forager

If Thief was supposed to give you Silver from the Supply, then it would say, "gain a COPY OF the trashed card".  :)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 08:16:38 am »

You'd have to really want that Silver, because playing the Spoils would remove it from your opponent's deck and by trashing it will be returned to your opponent's deck. In general that would be a bad move, so you would need to edge case the edge case to make it work.

There you go: I was going for Feodum and won't have another turn before the game ends.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 08:51:20 am »

I just tried to mint a spoils but Goko would not permit it. Is this accurate? The wording on Mint does not say anything about it having to be a treasure from the supply, but I'm guessing that's the reason? Thanks!
Actually, I think you should be allowed to reveal the Spoils (it's a Treasure after all), but the gaining should fail.

But as Mint is "you may" anyway, there is no* reason to do this, so not allowing it is probably the better implementation because people would mint the Spoils and not notice that it fails.

*edgecases are left as exercise to the reader

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 09:55:03 am »
+1

Edge case: you want to brag to your opponent about how many Spoils you have, but you also want to keep them in your deck, so you play Kings Court->Mint and reveal three Spoils*.

*your opponent will never know that you really only have one of them...
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 11:34:50 am »
+1

The main exception to the "gain means gain from the supply" rule is Thief/Noble Brigand.  The card states that you gain the cards which are trashed, but it does not specify that you gain them from the trash.  It's not too big a deal, since it's clearly to most everyone what is intended.
Well, it explicitly tells you to gain the trashed cards and not copies of the trashed cards or cards with the same name as the trashed cards.
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 20 queries.