Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playing with Guilds cards  (Read 1934 times)

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
Playing with Guilds cards
« on: June 07, 2013, 11:15:32 am »

Last night, my brother and I played a game in which we used some substitutes to represent Baker and Doctor. The rest of the set was Hunting Party, Haven, Baron, Bridge, Ironworks, Shanty Town, Scout and Philosopher's Stone. I got a $2/$5 and opened Haven/Hunting Party, saving my token to even out later purchases. My brother opened $4/$3, but used his token on the first hand to overpay for Doctor by $2 (trashing Estate/Copper) and then trashed 3 Coppers on turn 2 with Doctor. I then built into a Hunting Party + Baron strategy while my brother tried to go for Bakers and Bridges to get a mega-turn. It didn't work out and I won.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Playing with Guilds cards
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:36:15 pm »

I proxied some cards and played a solitaire game against myself. I used Doctor, Herald and Buther. The other cards in the kingdom were Goons, Forge, Worker's Village, Bandit Camp, Moat, Hunting Grounds, and Library.

My first thoughts, coin tokens are okay. Usually, you will spend them right away, sometimes spend them. Surprisingly, I found myself not using Butcher to Butcher my cards as much. Doctor is a pretty strong trasher. Herald is strong, and will kill on some boards, and the whole overpaying effect does add a level of complexity to the buy phase. Overpaying is lot like playing a card like Steward or Pawn and trying to figure out the best play.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 04:23:13 pm »

I've been doing this, only with the first 4 cards though.
I went Baker/Merchant Ship with a single $7 Doctor to clear out 3 Estates.
I opened Baker/Silver, and the game went so fast I ended with only 2 Bakers and one MS, because the coin tokens smoothed things out so much.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 12:05:08 pm »
+1

My brother and I played two more games with Guilds cards!

The first had Journeyman, Butcher, Alchemist, Spy, Swindler, Moat, Bridge, Gardens, Harem and 1 other that wasn't used and was not a village. I opened Swindler/Potion moving into Alchemists, and picking up a Butcher. Once I was reliably drawing lots of cards, I started Butchering things into Spies to keep my deck moving. My brother opened Swindler/Silver, and also moved towards Alchemists and a Butcher, but I got much better luck (particularly with Swindler) and won.

The second game was a complete gong show with Baker, Herald, Treasure Map, Fishing Village, Lighthouse, University, Tribute, Herbalist, Harem, and Outpost. With no trashing, and no reliable +cards, my brother wanted to try playing with Herald anyways, so got some Universities and 9 Tributes (I took the last one.) I also started with a Herald-style approach but then became fixated on the plan of overpaying for a Herald by $2 with two Treasure Maps in the discard to match them next turn. I was so fixated on this, that I ignored the fact that I had two TMs in hand one turn. :P. I somehow won anyways. Also, the coin tokens work well with overpaying because you can save lots of cash for one turn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.253 seconds with 20 queries.