Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Author Topic: Preview #5: Herald  (Read 85715 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
Re: Preview #5: Herald
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2013, 12:55:49 pm »

Thief is good in 4 player games against strategies that both rely on treasures and trash junk,
That's a bit harsh. Thief can be good in 4-player games, OR against strategies that rely on key treasures, OR against heavy trashing.
I think NMF is closer to the truth

4 Player Thief-Gardens is actually pretty strong.  Kind of like Beggar-Gardens, but you trade off a guaranteed 3 cards for a chance at Silver / Gold, and attacking your opponents.

Also the Thief in your hand doesn't give you any money to buy the gardens that turn, so you'll be needing that Silver/Gold badly to afford the Gardens in the slog.

I think that's Thief's biggest downfall. If it produced even $1 it would be useful in a decent percentage of games. In fact, that's my Scout fix, too. +$1.

How powerful would Thief be if it put one of the stolen treasures in your hand?  (Like, set each trashed treasure from each player aside, and at the end choose one to put in your hand and the others in the trash.)  Seems like it would make it extremely good in games where people trash some Copper.

Almost as good as Beggar in 4 player games, for only twice the price.

I dunno.  That's for stealing copper at the beginning of the game.  What if opponents are getting a higher density of more valuable coins in the mid game?  Stealing a gold for a 6 coin swing immediately seems pretty big, and may not be that unlikely in many cases.

Maybe in ideal conditions (against a strategy like BM/Moneylender). I like how it would actually be a decisive counter instead of a way of playing catch up.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2013, 01:02:20 pm »

Thief is good in 4 player games against strategies that both rely on treasures and trash junk,
That's a bit harsh. Thief can be good in 4-player games, OR against strategies that rely on key treasures, OR against heavy trashing.
I think NMF is closer to the truth

4 Player Thief-Gardens is actually pretty strong.  Kind of like Beggar-Gardens, but you trade off a guaranteed 3 cards for a chance at Silver / Gold, and attacking your opponents.

Also the Thief in your hand doesn't give you any money to buy the gardens that turn, so you'll be needing that Silver/Gold badly to afford the Gardens in the slog.

I think that's Thief's biggest downfall. If it produced even $1 it would be useful in a decent percentage of games. In fact, that's my Scout fix, too. +$1.

How powerful would Thief be if it put one of the stolen treasures in your hand?  (Like, set each trashed treasure from each player aside, and at the end choose one to put in your hand and the others in the trash.)  Seems like it would make it extremely good in games where people trash some Copper.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2759.0
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2013, 05:16:03 pm »

*Limit 10.
19 with Band of Misfits!

Then your opponent buys the last Herald Scout, and it was the only Action card costing less than $5. Nooooooooooo!!!

FIFY
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2013, 05:51:35 am »

I have just played Apothecary+Herald, so cool combo!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2013, 05:54:16 am »

Next up: Scout?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2013, 06:54:00 am »

Next up: Scout?

I dunno. Does Scout now magically clear Copper from the top of your deck?  :P

EDIT: Whoops! Ha ha! I thought we were talking about Scout/Advisor, not Scout/Herald. Scout/Herald definitely sounds useful.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:09:32 pm by LastFootnote »

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2013, 12:52:44 pm »

There probably is some synergy with Scout, since it will help you line up action chains and also because when it does clear green it raises the chance that you'll hit an action. That is, assuming you don't have Nobles or Great Hall. In that case I think Herald and Scout start tripping over each other.

Although I think the best stuff happens when Herald hits a terminal. Herald+Bridge = Market+Highway. Herald+Smithy = Laboratoryx3.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2013, 05:54:03 am »
+10

Just bought a Herald while Possessing my opponent...paid $6 for it, leaving 2 Estates on top of his deck.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2013, 10:47:52 am »

Just bought a Herald while Possessing my opponent...paid $6 for it, leaving 2 Estates on top of his deck.

10 turn Possession-Herald pin if opponent has 5 VP and his deck is good enough to consistently make $9! Not so practical, but awesome.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2013, 11:07:47 am »

10 turn Possession-Herald pin if opponent has 5 VP and his deck is good enough to consistently make $9! Not so practical, but awesome.

And you could do it forever if he and you both have Ambassador!

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2013, 12:39:38 pm »

If he doesn't have an Ambassador, you can give him one. But really, why aren't you Ambassadoring all his good cards back to you, instead of leaving him with a deck that can consistently hit $9?
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2013, 01:36:30 pm »
+2

If he doesn't have an Ambassador, you can give him one. But really, why aren't you Ambassadoring all his good cards back to you, instead of leaving him with a deck that can consistently hit $9?

To taunt him of course.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.