Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Preview #3: Journeyman  (Read 59266 times)

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
Re: Preview #3: Journeyman
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 10:16:11 am »
+5

You can name the ace of spades if you just want to draw next 3 cards, right?
yes then you payed 5 for a smithy

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 10:18:23 am »

I think this is pretty good in some decks, but not all. In an engine without trashing, this card be massive advantage. You can even create an engine in what would otherwise be a slog. In BM decks, you just name copper or Green and draw silvers and golds. On paper, it doesn't sound fantastic, but I think it is better than what people are giving credit for.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3670
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 10:20:11 am »

In big money, this card acts similarly to other +3 cards. You can skip coppers or estates to get higher money density draw. Or you could potentially throw in a bunch of one non-terminal card and name that, which could be worth it with the right non-terminal. Something like squire or forager or rebuild might combo well enough.

But I think this card will really shine in no/low trash engines or engines which green early, and it'll play similarly to catacombs. Basically, you pay an extra $ over smithy, but you add a lot more consistency to your draws, which is what hurts those types of decks the most.

I don't think this will ever be a power card, but it should have a place in a large number of decks.

massenburger

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 10:21:27 am »

You mean Trusty Steed.

Wow, I'm dumb. I guess I've been misreading the card. I always thought you could choose two, or you could do the silver/discard thing. +1 to Trusty Steed!

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 10:21:36 am »
+1

name curse and ou are good to go vs Sea Hag.

Like doctor this is another counter to Sea hag.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 10:21:44 am »

Our poor Adventurer, I feel as if the Journeyman is throwing him underneath a bus or should I say Death Cart.

Still, Journeyman doesn't guarantee you'll draw Treasures - it just guarantees you won't draw a specific card.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 10:29:17 am »

I like the card. Not super fancy, but a pretty good terminal draw. There needs to be a couple of these for some engines to be viable. And every card can't be super awesome and shiny like, say, Procession.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 10:30:35 am »
+1

Also, what is with the art on this card. I've learned to cope with the cartoony style of some of the dominion art.... but this? It looks a bit like a still from an early 1st person adventure game circa about 15 years ago, back before computer game graphics started looking halfway decent.

It's the exact same style of art that is on Hunting Party, Hamlet, Junk Dealer and Rebuild.  Funnily enough, these were all also done by Kurt Miller.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 10:30:45 am »

I find this card to be underwhelming. But then, not all cards can be game changers. And that's fine. A Journeyman is basically a Smithy with a little extra. Well, Farming Village is basically a Village with a little extra, so there's precedent. It's no Torturer, but it does provide some variety to the "+3 Cards" family.

It's a good card, and it'll still be fun. It just won't make people say, "Whoa." And not all cards need to do that.

I'm glad it wasn't Preview #1. Baker was a fine way to introduce Guilds to us. It would have been a lot different if Journeyman was chosen as the introduction. 

A man has no signature

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 10:31:21 am »
+1

yes then you payed 5 for a smithy

that isn't necessarily a bad thing. there are many boards where you would gladly pay $4 for a vanilla village.

Still, Journeyman doesn't guarantee you'll draw Treasures - it just guarantees you won't draw a specific card.

i am pretty confident you can get the expected value of treasures drawn by journeyman to be 2 or higher in most cases, especially if it is a scenario where adventurer would be useful.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 10:31:27 am »
+9

Beware! The preview of tomorrow might be the Ace of Spades!

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 10:33:18 am »

Yes, or Throat Wolf.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2013, 10:36:50 am »

Our poor Adventurer, I feel as if the Journeyman is throwing him underneath a bus or should I say Death Cart.

True, but consider the following when using it for BM.

1.)  It's cheaper so it doesn't compete with Gold

2.)  It draws one more card than Adventurer

3.)  Can skip any card
     a)  Copper for fast cycling and getting to Silver/Gold specifically
     b)  Province late game when you want to a better chance at cash
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2013, 10:38:14 am »

Yeah, not terribly exciting, but as said before, those cards are needed as well.

I did get one of the names right at least in my fake spoiler.

I think this might be quite strong in engines where estate trashing is available, but copper trashing isn't. Then you can ensure that you'll draw 3 engine cards by naming copper.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 10:46:41 am »

I think this might be quite strong in engines where estate trashing is available, but copper trashing isn't. Then you can ensure that you'll draw 3 engine cards by naming copper.

Or the converse could also be useful, because drawing Estate is decidedly worse than drawing Copper.

Early in the game, this is easily worth a Gold or more if you just name Estate.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2013, 10:47:56 am »
+1

Beware! The preview of tomorrow might be the Ace of Spades!

Black Lotus.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2013, 10:48:08 am »

Also, what is with the art on this card. I've learned to cope with the cartoony style of some of the dominion art.... but this? It looks a bit like a still from an early 1st person adventure game circa about 15 years ago, back before computer game graphics started looking halfway decent.

It's the exact same style of art that is on Hunting Party, Hamlet, Junk Dealer and Rebuild.  Funnily enough, these were all also done by Kurt Miller.

You're right. I can see the similarities now I go back and look at them (except for Hunting Party, that image is so dark it is hard to make out what is going on there). Most of these others just seem a bit unmemorable.... I find the art on journeyman quite jarring and out of place.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 10:48:38 am »
+1

Agreed that the card doesn't have much of an initial wow factor, but I'm sure it's more interesting and powerful than it appears. I'm not sure I would have chosen it to preview, but I guess some of the really cool cards should remain a secret until the release.

I just hope this is the least interesting card in the set.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2013, 10:54:15 am »
+2

It looks weaker than an embassy but doesn't gift a silver. It looks weaker than a vault but doesn't let your opponent draw cards. It looks stronger than a catacombs but doesn't have a trash benefit. Seems fair enough. Maybe there will be some benefit for players who can manage their deck contents better to suit the journeyman, maybe enough benefit to make the card interesting.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:25:42 am by DG »

platykurtic

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2013, 11:05:47 am »

This probably goes well with trash for benefit like Apprentice and Bishop where you're likely to be trashing you Estates early but not your coppers. Then you can safely name Copper and be sure to draw your important cards. This could make an engine possible where it otherwise wouldn't be..

Early game this is mostly just a terminal gold since you're naming Estate and drawing 3 Coppers, so it's definitely a mid/late game card

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2013, 11:08:08 am »
+4

Early game this is mostly just a terminal gold since you're naming Estate and drawing 3 Coppers, so it's definitely a mid/late game card

Isn't a terminal Gold (that cycles) in the early game pretty darn good?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2013, 11:10:15 am »

I like how this is the opposite of what I said.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2013, 11:21:22 am »

I immediatly thought to Gatherer in the Fan-card Contest too, because there are some fan cards you just can't forget...

But as part of a 5/x opening, when you play it on turn 3,4, all it does is drawing 2 coppers + the card you bought for $x... great if you play with Baker and opened 5/3 maybe ! Otherwise, it seems a not-so-better Smithy, as Sage from DA was a "cantrip only good on beginning" ? or am I wrong ? Okay, it's still a nice drawer if you need it, but I don't know whether it should be above Catacombs
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2013, 11:37:53 am »

I immediatly thought to Gatherer in the Fan-card Contest too, because there are some fan cards you just can't forget...

But as part of a 5/x opening, when you play it on turn 3,4, all it does is drawing 2 coppers + the card you bought for $x... great if you play with Baker and opened 5/3 maybe ! Otherwise, it seems a not-so-better Smithy, as Sage from DA was a "cantrip only good on beginning" ? or am I wrong ? Okay, it's still a nice drawer if you need it, but I don't know whether it should be above Catacombs

I expect this is strong enough to be worth passing up your $2 turn in order to take full advantage. Of course if there's a $2 card strong enough to be worth the risk of drawing it dead (or if there are no good $2s so you're not missing out anyhow) that's even better.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 12:21:29 pm »
+21

But How Does it Combo With Scout? (Guilds #3)

Little known fact, Donald X. conceived the idea for Journeyman after making some changes to Scout, which turned out to be too strong in playtesting. Originally, Scout bore the additional text, "Name all the cards except Scout. Draw 3 cards, other than all the cards that aren't Scout." Because why would you want to draw a non-Scout card? But while this was intuitively correct, it sped up games too dramatically, so the text was dropped and Donald X. created Journeyman.

Now, here's where Donald X. actually made a mistake. He meant to include a disclaimer on Journeyman, "You have to name Scout." Because Scout is too good! It's just like an automatic name-Scout kinda thing, really warped and strategically uninteresting. But the folks at Rio Grande screwed up the card text, so now you have this situation where you can--gasp--name some other card than Scout, and so draw Scout via Journeyman.

Are there situations where you would name Scout, so as not to draw it? I can only think of one: You've decided to throw the game. Perhaps you bet money against yourself, or something? You are colluding with another player in a 3-player game? Really, it's a question for the Philosophers (and their Stones.)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.