Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 47  All

Author Topic: roguelike games  (Read 272766 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: roguelike games
« Reply #1025 on: October 22, 2015, 11:23:03 am »
+1

If you're talking about crawl, then I don't think penance affects abandonment wrath. Also, penance is usually very weak and short-lived.

I died because I made a decision before reading this post. 

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: October 23, 2015, 07:29:17 pm »
+1

Anybody tried Nuclear Throne?

I haven't played Binding of Isaac, but I think it's similar.
It's like Smash TV + Roguelike.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: October 24, 2015, 01:52:11 am »
+1

Yeah Nuclear Throne is great, I really enjoy it! I've posted about it in this thread before.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: October 26, 2015, 10:43:19 am »
+2

I need moneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: October 26, 2015, 12:16:54 pm »
+2

I just died because Potion of Might was on lowercase f and potion of invisibility was on uppercase F

kind of a lame way to die. 

I wish it put a wand on upper case f and a potion on lower case f automatically and then that would just never happen.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: October 26, 2015, 03:16:17 pm »
+1

For anyone who's played Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, the DLC Afterbirth is coming out in a few days. It's $6.66 instead of $11 if you preorder it, so if you expect to get it eventually and can afford it, you should just buy it now. I don't think we'll see Steam discounts that are any better for a long time.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: October 26, 2015, 05:21:15 pm »
+1

If I was interested in getting into Binding of Isaac, would people recommend I start with the original or skip straight to Rebirth?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: October 26, 2015, 08:54:12 pm »
+1

If I was interested in getting into Binding of Isaac, would people recommend I start with the original or skip straight to Rebirth?

It's a tricky question. Unlocks will not transfer between the original and Rebirth, so you'll have to redo a lot of work if you're going for 100% completion.

The original is a lot cheaper. Around $7 with Wrath of the Lamb DLC. (If you get Vanilla, I recommend buying the DLC immediately.) However, Rebirth will have more content. Rebirth is also harder, unless you only play Azazel, so you'll be able to get more hours out of it. If you drop Binding of Isaac, you'll lose less money by going for Vanilla. If you get hooked, you'll want to play Rebirth, because the added content + mechanics are substantial.

Overall, I don't know anyone who disliked Vanilla and liked Rebirth, or vice versa. You either like both or you don't, so your buying decision should be based on how likely you think you'll get hooked.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: October 26, 2015, 08:57:48 pm »
+1

FWIW I never played the original, started with Rebirth and loved it. I'll definitely be picking up the DLC.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: October 26, 2015, 10:39:57 pm »
+1

It's a tricky question. Unlocks will not transfer between the original and Rebirth, so you'll have to redo a lot of work if you're going for 100% completion.

The original is a lot cheaper. Around $7 with Wrath of the Lamb DLC. (If you get Vanilla, I recommend buying the DLC immediately.) However, Rebirth will have more content. Rebirth is also harder, unless you only play Azazel, so you'll be able to get more hours out of it. If you drop Binding of Isaac, you'll lose less money by going for Vanilla. If you get hooked, you'll want to play Rebirth, because the added content + mechanics are substantial.

Overall, I don't know anyone who disliked Vanilla and liked Rebirth, or vice versa. You either like both or you don't, so your buying decision should be based on how likely you think you'll get hooked.
But the game is replay valuish enough that if you play Rebirth you won't want Vanilla later, right?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: October 27, 2015, 12:47:35 am »
+1

Thanks for the info. Is there story stuff that I'll miss out on if I don't play vanilla?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: October 27, 2015, 04:20:10 am »
+1

But the game is replay valuish enough that if you play Rebirth you won't want Vanilla later, right?

Yes, if you get into Rebirth, you won't want to play Vanilla. (Not even because of the new content. Rebirth is 60 fps. Vanilla is written in flash, so it's 24 fps and suffers from slow down.)

Thanks for the info. Is there story stuff that I'll miss out on if I don't play vanilla?

No. All the story in Vanilla is also in Rebirth. The story is also deliberately vague and open to interpretation, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: October 29, 2015, 01:09:27 pm »
+1

Anyone here play Darkest Dungeon?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: October 29, 2015, 01:13:34 pm »
+1

Anyone here play Darkest Dungeon?

It's (very much) on my wishlist, I am waiting for a deep discount. And free time.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: October 29, 2015, 03:16:13 pm »
+2

I Kickstartered it and just installed it. So far I love it. I suspect there will be a discount for either the Winter Sale or the official launch date (January 16), so keep an eye out for that.

I look forward to talking with people about it. I love that it's a party based game where you have to build up your team over time. You start with 9 slots for people, but can only ever take 4 on any particular mission. That quickly didn't feel like enough slots so I upgraded to have a team of 12 and even that feels iffy as half my team is often too stressed out or has decided to go on a vision quest so I can't reliably take people on missions so when a key person isn't available the team dynamics get weird.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: October 30, 2015, 09:49:30 am »
+1

Did crawl just do another release? I always click the highest 1.X when I play online on webtiles, but this time when I did that it didn't load the character I had saved, so I had to click the second highest 1.X

1.7 is new?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: October 30, 2015, 12:29:07 pm »
+1

Must be, I was playing 1.6 a couple weeks ago.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 01, 2015, 05:10:05 pm »
+2

Jeez, I came so close to winning Expert+ Ironman.
I started with Ester + Decker, Powerdrip + Mercenary. I got Dagger (cuz with Merc 3 str firewalls are a bitch), Ping and Wisp (I never had wisp before, it turns out it is incredibly good). As most of my programs were util, I actually found Merc to be quite fine. If you have some way of getting through safes (Xu, EMP) so that you don't have to use it too many times per alarm level (like, 3 is optimal, 4 is fine), it is strong.

I had pretty smooth ride till the very end, no deaths, nor any big chaotic mess that I had to use huge amount of resources to get through. Second to last mission I did have to abort early as it would get ugly fast, so I decided that it was not worth the risk.

Last mission, I had both Monst3r and Gladstone dead at one point, revived them both, Ester was dead too, had Gladstone at the end-game terminal and just needed to get Monst3r to it. It was all the way across the complex, and I was at high alarm levels, but I was doing a pretty damn well job of getting them away from Monst3r, until Decker died, at least.

Soo close :(
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 05:12:55 pm by Grujah »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: November 01, 2015, 11:31:41 pm »
+1

Wisp sounds meh, then you actually try it, and then you start buying it every time you can.

Congrats on getting that far on Expert + Ironman though!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 03, 2015, 08:15:21 pm »
+1

So Ignite Poison is apparently bugged? Or maybe just nerfed? It doesn't cause poisonous creatures to light on fire any more. Wasted a bunch of XP learning it to kill poisonous creatures in the Lair. At least I figured it out on a little scorpion not on a terrifying 8-headed hydra.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 03, 2015, 09:02:25 pm »
+1

It got changed when poisonous chunks were removed. Now it only affects monsters that were poisoned (by your attacks) and poisonous clouds. It's a lot less fun now, but the damage output is better.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 03, 2015, 11:02:10 pm »
+2

Kindof a useless spell now i.m.o. It used to be good to kill things that were immune to poison, now it's useful if you poison something, but if you could poison the thing you could already kill it that way.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 13, 2015, 06:17:23 pm »
+1

Playing a Halfling Berserker and now I have max attack speed with Short Blades and Slings. I have been putting XP into Fighting, Armor and Dodging, but is there a purpose in putting more XP into weapon skills at this point? I could put points into Evocations I guess, but no spell casting because Trog and don't need Invocations because Trog, I've got more than enough Stealth at this point. What do you do with your skills when you're at this point? I've only just cleared Lair so I still have a lot of XP to gain.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 13, 2015, 09:07:42 pm »
+1

It's pretty common to start training longblades at that point.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: December 10, 2015, 12:59:43 am »
+2

Sometimes I hate crawl. I build a Naga up to the point where I have 120 HP, a collection of RandArts that is astounding, 4 levels of MR, breathe clouds of poison, 38 AC, max piety of Okawaru, can go toe-to-toe with a Frost Giant without breaking a sweat.

Walk into Orc:3, am surrounded by a ghost that isn't flagged as being particularly dangerous, and a bunch of orcs, a unique is off in the distance. Doesn't look too threatening to be honest. My thoughts are, I'll just try and kill the ghost and the Unique, stair dance if things get hard. I start to breathe a poison cloud, immediately get turned into a bat before my action completes (dagger of chaos I assume, but it could have been a wand of polymorph), think "Okay, that was unlucky, I'm on the stairs though. I'll just walk up and run away from whatever follows me", get paralyzed by ghost before I can get up the stairs (3 levels of MR still effective at this point). Die 3 turns later unable to do anything.

I honestly don't think I even made a mistake except for maybe not checking to see if any of the Orcs standing near me were carrying chaos branded weapons when I stepped down the stairs. I actually died before I could complete any actions. Felt like complete bs.

link to dump
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:04:18 am by Jorbles »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 47  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.