Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 47  All

Author Topic: roguelike games  (Read 272786 times)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Re: roguelike games
« Reply #975 on: September 15, 2015, 03:06:23 pm »
+1

Well, you're probably right, as I said, it's my soft spot.

I haven't tried all new things either (only Dinamo).

Dynamo is 2 power per turn on alarm level 2 and up, which is kinda worse than power drip if you spend more time in lower levels than higher (and you usually do want that) but it comes with the benefit that it gives you a lot of power per turn at times when you need it the most, I guess. I am not impressed.

Merc is 0 power, break 2 firewalls, 0 cooldown. Sounds great, huh? But it costs +2 power per use, and it resets to zero at new alarm levels. I could see myself picking it up at B@z@@r, I don't know how you use this as a starting program other than super-agressive build that rushes through alarm levels.

Archive Sharp gives +1 armor piercing at 3rd and 6th augment. Which is pretty much better than old version, so he has -1AP as well. As you often struggle with Armored opponents this is pretty good, and paralizers are cheaper than ventricular lances.

Archive Prism.. jeez, is like Decker on drugs. You get this disguise thing, it uses 2 pwr to activate and drains 2 per turn. But you look like guard until you attack, run or somebody sees you from 1 tile away. Seems pretty powerful. I can see somebody finishing levels with that thing alone, and you only need like Drip + Personal Server or even just a Fusion to support it. Prism starts with Anarchy which makes it that much more useful.

As for B@z@@rs, it got Root (+6 pwr, than -1 pwr for 6 turns), Things like passively all programs -1cooldown +2power and vice versa, Lightning Strike (Massive cost but KOs a tracked Guard) and some other fun stuff.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 15, 2015, 04:18:31 pm »
+3

I lost my job right as I was building up the courage to blow part of a paycheck on Binding of Isaac.  Sighz

That sucks. Good luck finding a new job!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 15, 2015, 06:04:14 pm »
+2

Well, better than losing the job just after you blew the paycheck :P

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 16, 2015, 11:08:43 am »
+1

I fell into the water using a potion of flight to look in the corners of Spider Nest on my Deep Dwarf Fighter of Elvyilion.

Kind of a blessing in disguise because it felt hella tedious.  Maybe the vampweapon builds for Deep Dwarf are less fiddly.  It's really annoying when you see two orcs and are like, "well I better figure out that absolute most efficient way to deal with these guys because I will have slightly less piety if I just tab them"

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 16, 2015, 11:11:28 am »
+1

The next species I randomed was Demigod so I don't have to worry about piety at all! yes!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 16, 2015, 12:40:40 pm »
+1

I decided to try out the new Greed god. Really simplifies your relationship with the deity.

Do you have enough money to buy a favour? Great spend the money and you get it.

Otherwise he provides some benefits, turning everything you kill into gold is pretty nice if you find good shops and don't need corpses. Detecting gold coin piles (it bothers me a tiny bit that the detail of being able to find golden rings/jewelry was overlooked) can occasionally help you find a vault. Occasionally distracting enemies who see gold can be helpful too, though it's never happened to me at a moment of any importance.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 22, 2015, 12:52:50 pm »
+1

Webtiles down for everyone or just me?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: September 23, 2015, 09:36:55 am »
+1

Got halfway through D2 in Expert Plus with Faust/Brimstone/Centrale/Internationale (I want that achievement!). Had some very lucky early layouts and some nice drops. Got Prism, Data Blast (which kinda obsoletes Brimstone), and upped Internationale's Hacking to lvl 3. I've never had SO MUCH POWER.

Then I got Wisp and Lightning. Expert Plus is probably not the best difficulty level for the combo, what with the extra alarm when KOing guards, but oh well. Lightning is pretty bonkers. There's currently a bug with Lightning that prevents you from zapping guards with network armour, which played a part in my ultimate demise.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 23, 2015, 09:47:06 am »
+1

Neither of you will check for me? :(

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 23, 2015, 09:55:36 am »
+2

I almost never play online. But I just checked. It seems to be working for me.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 23, 2015, 09:59:40 am »
+2

I almost never play online. But I just checked. It seems to be working for me.

Same here.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 23, 2015, 10:12:42 am »
+1

Ok.  It was temporarily down.  I was worried I was firewalled and that if I checked too frequently myself my job's IT guy would be like "why do you keep doing that"

paranoia.

Thanks for the help.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: September 23, 2015, 03:26:22 pm »
+2

There are like 5 different crawl servers, you know.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 23, 2015, 04:08:38 pm »
+1

There are like 5 different crawl servers, you know.

Well by my paranoia reasoning, if I was blocked off the big server because IT was suspicious of frequent, extremely short messages sent through a port to a crawl server, it would not look good for the characterization of my computer use if I  connected to a different server and started sending some more super short messages.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 04:12:40 pm by popsofctown »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 02, 2015, 05:23:50 pm »
+1

I'm doing pretty well on a Demigod Ice Elementalist.  I'm wondering whether you guys think that it would make sense for Ice Elees to do Lair 8 and a Lair branchoff before Orc 4.  Orc 4 is just tons of little stuff, and I feel like I'm gonna run out of mana points because I have no AoE, I haven't found a book with Bolt of Cold and the ice book doesn't start you out with any AoE.  I've been using Summon Ice Beast to deal with trying to kill large numbers of enemies in a mana efficient way but by Orc 4 I'm worried that strategy will be outclassed. 

I don't have any poison resistance though and am down to about 2 potions of curing.  I think I've discovered spider's nest but not my other lair branchoff.

Maybe I should explore dungeon more, though? Core dungeon doesn't seem that AoE heavy, it seems like it's a lot of: see an Ettin, Ice Spear Ettin, nothing else in line of sight, rest up until full mana, repeat.
I found Summon Shadow creatures so I'm not worried about a cold resistant Very Ugly thing or cold resistant zombies in D. 

I have two ice rings on so my ice spears hit like trucks.  They just cost lots of mana. 

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: October 03, 2015, 12:29:04 am »
+2

I'm doing pretty well on a Demigod Ice Elementalist.  I'm wondering whether you guys think that it would make sense for Ice Elees to do Lair 8 and a Lair branchoff before Orc 4.  Orc 4 is just tons of little stuff, and I feel like I'm gonna run out of mana points because I have no AoE, I haven't found a book with Bolt of Cold and the ice book doesn't start you out with any AoE.  I've been using Summon Ice Beast to deal with trying to kill large numbers of enemies in a mana efficient way but by Orc 4 I'm worried that strategy will be outclassed. 

I don't have any poison resistance though and am down to about 2 potions of curing.  I think I've discovered spider's nest but not my other lair branchoff.

Maybe I should explore dungeon more, though? Core dungeon doesn't seem that AoE heavy, it seems like it's a lot of: see an Ettin, Ice Spear Ettin, nothing else in line of sight, rest up until full mana, repeat.
I found Summon Shadow creatures so I'm not worried about a cold resistant Very Ugly thing or cold resistant zombies in D. 

I have two ice rings on so my ice spears hit like trucks.  They just cost lots of mana. 

I would say finish Lair should be safe enough. Lair should be good for an IE with many of the threats being cold-blooded (frogs, snakes, hydras). There's some moderate loot down there...who knows, maybe you find freezing cloud and Orc becomes a breeze.

But even then Orc should usually be a breeze. Maybe you can't clear it mana efficiently. But by this point in the game perhaps you have picked up a weapon of some sort? Stab away the popcorn and save your freezes for the big guys (freeze ignores armor for orc warriors). As a demigod you have tons of strength and HP, you can afford to tank a little. Ozocubo's gives you good armor even in a robe. Consider putting a few skills in weapons/fighting by this point, even for the most wizardly of wizards.

I finish Orc 95% of the time before finishing the dungeon or a lair branch. The potential power boost from a lucky shop is too tempting to ignore. Orc 4 is a crapshoot but it's hard to get trapped...play safe, and peel away the big threats one at a time. Then you can go shopping and reevaluate your position from there.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:31:08 am by WalrusMcFishSr »
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: October 05, 2015, 03:26:58 pm »
+3

Finally picked up Crypt of the NecroDancer when it went on sale this weekend. What a cool game, super innovative and hard enough to keep me interested. Beat first zone (Deep Blues as boss) and have been having a lot of trouble with second so far. I love how they integrated the music into the game though!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: October 05, 2015, 05:07:54 pm »
+2

(freeze ignores armor for orc warriors)

Waiwaiwaiwaiwait. 

The level 1 spell, Freeze, ignores armore? 

Does that mean it has better mean damage than puff of frost on sufficiently high AC enemies?

Does the characteristic apply to any other ice spells?

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: October 05, 2015, 05:27:53 pm »
+1

(freeze ignores armor for orc warriors)

Waiwaiwaiwaiwait. 

The level 1 spell, Freeze, ignores armore? 

Does that mean it has better mean damage than puff of frost on sufficiently high AC enemies?

Does the characteristic apply to any other ice spells?

I believe so. Ignores EV as well. Cold resistance reduces its damage naturally. I don't know the numbers but personally I do find that its usefulness outlives that of puff of frost.

This might not be 100% up to date but here's a quote from the wiki: "The following spells ignore AC: Freeze, Pain, Vampiric Draining, Static Discharge, Sticky flame, Agony, and Ozocubu's Refrigeration."

A blowgun is also nice to have for early game high-AC threats. I take a blowgun on almost every character until I need the inventory slots.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: October 05, 2015, 09:04:36 pm »
+1

Finally picked up Crypt of the NecroDancer when it went on sale this weekend. What a cool game, super innovative and hard enough to keep me interested. Beat first zone (Deep Blues as boss) and have been having a lot of trouble with second so far. I love how they integrated the music into the game though!
I still play stupidly large amounts of this game. :)

There's a tournament finals coming up this Friday (7pm EDT on twitch.tv/eladdifficult) if you're interested in seeing some high-level speed play.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: October 08, 2015, 12:48:51 pm »
+3

I am annoyed by how GDR is so incongruent with the way the rest of the game is designed.  Almost no offensive moves have a guaranteed chance of doing a minimum decent amount of damage, no amount of EV guarantees a dodge, a scroll of teleport isn't guaranteed to send you anywhere nice, etc, but GDR lets you have a sure-thing.  It contributes between the bumpy transition between trying to win a beserker and trying to win a caster a whole lot because robes have virtually no GDR.

I am really butthurt that I got two shotted from half health straight through phase shift + ozcubu's armor + condensation shield because I was playing the game a way that ice dragon armor's GDR had kinda conditioned me to before I started playing casters as often.  I was wearing a robe so none of the massive AC affected GDR. 

I am definitely not saying "give casters GDR too so everyone can coast easy", I'm saying that I think the high GDR on armor and how that's a huge part of why physical characters can tab past the game is against the spirit of crawl or even roguelikes in general and it ought to get nerfed so the game is harder on physical dudes.

I was gonna whine on the official forums but I realized no one is going to listen either way therefore this is way better.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:56:01 pm by popsofctown »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: October 08, 2015, 12:56:08 pm »
+1

Sooooo, what's GDR? Something Damage Resistance?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: October 08, 2015, 01:33:23 pm »
+2

I am 95% it's either Giant Death Robot or Guaranteed Damage Reduction, but don't know which.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: October 08, 2015, 01:53:23 pm »
+2

Sooooo, what's GDR? Something Damage Resistance?
Yeah.  The fact it has no in game documentation at all just adds to my gripe with it. 

Every body armor in the game has a % associated with it.  Robe is like 8%, leather armor is like 12%, etc, gold dragon armor is like 40%, something like that, I don't remember the exact numbers.  Whenever you get hit by an attack, if you have enough AC that you deserve to block that minimum % of the damage (whether you obtained that AC from the body armor itself, or from any other sources), then your Guaranteed Damage Reduction always blocks at least that minimum %.  That means an octopode wearing rings of protection and using Ozcubu's armor to get up to 30 AC takes more damage than a MiBe wearing a plate armor to get up to 30 AC on average, and more importantly than the average, the Octopode takes -way- more damage on outlier instances, and outlier instances are what usually kill you in Crawl...

Nah, just kidding, it's Giant Death Robot, I was posting to bitch about the Metal Dragons.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: October 08, 2015, 01:56:34 pm »
+1

Complaining about how something is unnecessarily complicated in a roguelike seems almost inappropriate, but that seems unnecessarily complicated in a really boring way that isn't fun. Not unnecessarily complicated in a fun way that makes the game more interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 47  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.