Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 47  All

Author Topic: roguelike games  (Read 272745 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: roguelike games
« Reply #875 on: May 03, 2015, 11:19:57 am »
+2

I should play more crawl.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 10, 2015, 03:28:45 pm »
+2

Necrodancer: finally managed to beat the Golden Lute! Now to do it on an all zones run :o
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 10, 2015, 03:45:02 pm »
+1

Are there any good roguelikes for iphone? I've hit a brick wall in hoplite, and I am looking for something new. I've tried Shattered Planet, but that's more of a time waster than a true roguelike.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 10, 2015, 11:32:51 pm »
+2

Are there any good roguelikes for iphone? I've hit a brick wall in hoplite, and I am looking for something new. I've tried Shattered Planet, but that's more of a time waster than a true roguelike.

If you like Hoplite, you'll very probably like 868-HACK.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 11, 2015, 09:35:31 pm »
+1

Interesting... would you say that it has good lasting power? I might not want to buy it if I'm going to see everything in two hours.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 11, 2015, 11:50:40 pm »
+2

Interesting... would you say that it has good lasting power? I might not want to buy it if I'm going to see everything in two hours.

Yes. It's a little unusual in that "beating" the game is relatively easy--it takes 5-10 minutes and you'll probably get it on your 2nd-5th try or so. However, the challenge is in getting good scores--because scoring points not only costs resources but adds monsters to the map that you have to deal with. Furthermore, you try to maximize the score of your "streak"--a series of successively won games. However, as your streak goes on the game throws more and more complications at you until mere survival is tough. So you have to take the points when you can get them.

There's also a progressive unlock system where the easier-to-use programs are available first.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 14, 2015, 10:31:56 pm »
+2

Anybody saw this new game, Invisible Inc. ? Set in sci-fi cyberpunk universe, akin to Netrunner.

It is turn based tactics, with roguelike qualities. I've played only a little, but it plays very good so far and visuals are STUNNING.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 14, 2015, 11:02:04 pm »
+1

Klei Entertainment (!) just released a cyberpunk turn based roguelike-y stealth game.

I don't think I am ready for such awesome. I don't think the World is ready for such awesome.

I so have to get it at some point.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 18, 2015, 04:52:05 am »
+2

Oh man, Isaac Rebirth is so good. I'm super rusty and awful but now I remember why I sunk so much time into Isaac original.

(First run died on Depths 1 boss, was running on 1/2 a heart and got clipped. 2nd + 3rd embarrassingly died on Basement 2.)
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 18, 2015, 12:40:11 pm »
+2

Klei Entertainment (!) just released a cyberpunk turn based roguelike-y stealth game.

I don't think I am ready for such awesome. I don't think the World is ready for such awesome.

I so have to get it at some point.

So, I've played a bit more.

I'd classify it as Turn-Based Tactical (Tactics Ogre, some say X-Com like) Stealth (The Sting like) Rougelite.
Visually it remains striking, gameplay wise it is quite good, it just gets a bit fiddly with predicting LoSd  and guard movement rules when they get alerted (which I might get better as with more playthroughs).
My favourite part is that managing resources is so hard, especially when it is so hard to compare stuff and you can only get so few of them.
Like, you have this Shalem character who starts with rifle - but you only got 2 bullets. Not two bullets per mission - only two bullets - unless you find a charger.
It is quite unforgiving on harder difficulties, visuals are great, replayability is fine  (you unlock more stuff as you win/lose) - biggest problem is that the original campaign is too short (feels like it is only 1/3 of what it should be, though I still have to beat it) and that they had such an colorful and awesome cast of characters that were left undeveloped.

Edit: Ending is however, quite awesome.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:38:15 am by Grujah »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: May 19, 2015, 04:30:48 am »
+2

I just had the most ridiculous Isaac Rebirth run. Starting as Maggy,

- Turn into Guppy on BASEMENT 2, with 9 soul hearts thanks to Paw
- Get Poly soon after
- Get Guppy's Head and start spawning massive amounts of blue flies
- Get Monstro's Lung too - my shots now one shot almost everything
- Get the shop item that makes flies giant.
- Get Cricket's Head and other damage ups - now my shots literally one shot everything, including bosses, and my flies are auto-homing 1/5 boss life bar death machines.

To emphasize how ridiculous this was, I used an Emperor card to teleport to Mom's Heart. I don't even see a health bar - the boss dies literally as I enter the room, because the boss overlaps with the blue flies around me. I only lose the flies that immediately overlapped the heart and it was still a OHKO.

Unfortunately I'm still unlocking content, so the furthest I can get is Satan. It's really funny to have Satan's final form stomp you and die instantly.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: May 24, 2015, 02:43:09 am »
+1

So I have been playing some Invisible Inc. I've completed a run on Beginner, and now I am trying my hand at Experienced, which is no walk in the park (despite still being below Expert, "the way the game is meant to be played").

It's not exactly a roguelike, because the game includes "Rewinds", which allows you to start again from the beginning of the previous turn. You get 3 rewinds per mission (one in Expert). Once you've used them all, you have to live with the consequences. Which include the possibility to have your last agent quip when all hope is lost ;D Rewinds are an interesting design choice to handle extreme difficulty spikes, because even late game there can be unpredictable "YOU LOSE" scenarios, and rewinds allow you to find workarounds.

One of the more interesting things of the game is how different all items, augments and programs are, which can completely change the way you approach a level. From invisibility cloaks to EMP bombs, from door traps to portable cover, etc.

What really surprised me the most is the approach to stealth the game has. In most stealth games, you are more or less expected to get rid of most of the guards one way or another. In Invisible Inc., while you can KO (or kill) guards, it's usually more of a short term solution, because KO'd guards wake up quickly and start hunting you down (and killing guards is expensive and noisy). So what you are supposed to do is exploit their (huge) blind spots and patrol patterns to move across levels completely unseen.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 25, 2015, 04:34:51 pm »
+2

So I have been playing some Invisible Inc. I've completed a run on Beginner, and now I am trying my hand at Experienced, which is no walk in the park (despite still being below Expert, "the way the game is meant to be played").

It's not exactly a roguelike, because the game includes "Rewinds", which allows you to start again from the beginning of the previous turn. You get 3 rewinds per mission (one in Expert). Once you've used them all, you have to live with the consequences. Which include the possibility to have your last agent quip when all hope is lost ;D Rewinds are an interesting design choice to handle extreme difficulty spikes, because even late game there can be unpredictable "YOU LOSE" scenarios, and rewinds allow you to find workarounds.

One of the more interesting things of the game is how different all items, augments and programs are, which can completely change the way you approach a level. From invisibility cloaks to EMP bombs, from door traps to portable cover, etc.

What really surprised me the most is the approach to stealth the game has. In most stealth games, you are more or less expected to get rid of most of the guards one way or another. In Invisible Inc., while you can KO (or kill) guards, it's usually more of a short term solution, because KO'd guards wake up quickly and start hunting you down (and killing guards is expensive and noisy). So what you are supposed to do is exploit their (huge) blind spots and patrol patterns to move across levels completely unseen.

I've beaten Expert.  Setup was Decker/Banks and Seed/Brimstone (Brimestone is not particularly good, though). I've tried my hand at Expert+, but it is very harsh, I didn't do well. Now I often run Endless Ironman (Standard Endless but with 0 rewinds).

Yeah, I classified it as roguelite. Rewinds are interesting. They really help with those mistakes where 1 tile is difference between everything going find and total clusterfuck.

Yeah, you can really build your characters differently. I've tried to experiment with many different builds, but it's still hard to see how strong some are. Though, what I've found really great is Decker (or somebody else with access to invisibility) plus the augment to knock out people when you go invis. That knock out actually ignores armor, which is brutal.

Yeah, the thing that I hate the most is the first time I knock out a guy. Even if I can keeping him knocked longer (like 4-5 turns), I just know that he is going to be a problem. It's similar with killing, that +2 on alarm clock is huge, as once you hit alarm level 4, you cannot do anything smoothly anymore.
Aside from blind spots (unless you face some 180 degree sight guards, which are a pain), I've found that getting their attention to irrelevant stuff is very powerful. For example, if a guard notices more than one suspicions thing ( "?", like opening a door, running, or noticing you with his peripheral vision), he will only follow the last one seen. So, sometimes you can afford a guard noticing one of your agents which are in critical locations if later, during the same turn, another agent gets the same guard to notice something else.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 26, 2015, 09:49:50 pm »
+2

TIL HoloCircuit Overloaders can trigger even when the agent is knocked out.  ;D

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 27, 2015, 02:29:31 am »
+2

Endless Day 5: You start missions with a 20 turn daemon: "All programs cost +2 power to use".
Might need to update Incognita. Currently she runs Seed, Lockpick 1.0, Brimestone, Dagger 2.0 and Oracle. Probably get Lockpick 2.0 as 1 strength firewalls are almost non-existent now.

Luckily Decker has 5 hacking. I might as well sell the E-CON chip, though. :P

Also, they seem to be able to pinpoint your location on level 3 now.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:20:48 am by Grujah »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 31, 2015, 02:28:13 am »
+1

Finally finished my experienced run. The highlights would be KOing two OMNI guards in the same room and hiding their bodies in it all in the same turn as a third guard entered that room, and managing to get a hostage across the most hellish room I've encountered until now (curse you, K&O).

I tried a quick Faust run in Expert. I think I will get a more convential economic program for my next run. The shorter KO times are really punishing my greediness.

I still haven't done a Server Farm run. I seem to be able to do just fine with the smaller Bazaars you find in normal missions. Taurus seems to be super common, and there's not much else that is really that necessary.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: May 31, 2015, 05:30:14 am »
+2

First Chapter 6 clear (both versions) at just around 35 hours playtime for Isaac rebirth. Nice to know some skills carried over.

I also got all the no damage achievements except for Dead Boy along the way, if I hadn't taken 2 hearts at the end of my first Chest run I'd have gotten it. No damage depths was my last achievement in vanilla - I'm not sure if that means I got better or if there's more ways to prevent taking damage. Probably a bit of both.

Amusing results: passing up 4 Health-Up pills starting from the Womb because I was maxed out at 5 red hearts, 7 black hearts, despite taking almost all devil deals offered. Very early PhD + Bottle of Pills + Contract from Below in first Devil Room leads to shenanigans.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 05:39:10 am by Titandrake »

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 02, 2015, 01:07:10 am »
+4

Just completed Aria all zones for the first time (Necrodancer). Although this is with the starting potion that was added in a recent patch, I ended up finding a potion naturally before using my starter potion, so the run would also have been valid pre-nerf.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 04, 2015, 12:51:34 am »
+2

Whenever I play Isaac, I keep alternating between "Wow, I'm getting a really solid run here" and "Wow, I'm so bad at this game, how'd I even take damage there"

(I lost to Mom's Heart in a run with Brim + Dark Bum + Satanic Bible + Damage Up + over 30 bombs. That should just not happen.)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 04, 2015, 12:42:12 pm »
+2

This is only really a roguelike in the way that XCom is, but Massive Chalice is out now. I backed it on Kickstarter and am really enjoying it. It's apparently free if you have XBox Gold, but I've been playing the Steam iteration.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 06, 2015, 02:09:32 am »
+1

Beaten Expert! Starting configuration was Banks and Dr. Xu, Seed and Rapier. Free safes with Dr. Xu is pretty ridiculous, and Banks is an all-around great Agent. Seed is not so great at first, but becomes pretty crazy in the late game; Rapier disappointed me, though: once Alarm level 2 rolls around, you are in deep trouble. I replaced it with Lockpick v2.0 later on and never looked back.

I've noticed that, more than difficulty level, or more even than available gear and Agents, the thing that impacts real difficulty the most is Room and Patrols layout. No matter how underequiped you are, 3 guards with short patrols in opposite corners of a well-conected level is going to be very easy. Conversely, if the only door out of the starting room leads to a long narrow corridor with 3+ guards patrolling across it, it's going to get ugly even if you are packing lots of gadgets.

And then there's Ping that makes everything trivial. I have to learn how to exploit running to distract guards, there's only so much you can do with proper placement of your agents.

I want to try Expert+ with Faust+Brimstone and Centrale+Internationale. I wonder if I'll ever reach D3 (or even D2) with that setup :P

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 06, 2015, 09:30:07 am »
+2

Rapier is nice as a secondary backup tool.
It is on par with Lockpick 1.0 on Alarm 1, and worse later. It's only fine with Internationale as you get quite a few uses during Alarm 0. But I do agree it's quite underwhelming as your main hacking tool.
Lockpick 2.0 is probably my favourite main hack tool, alongside Parasite 1.0.
Yeah, Xu's mini EMP is great. Like, when you randomly get a deamon + firewall 5 on a safe, you are zo glad to have him.
Seed is my favorite power program, It gives you 1-4 power per turn as long as you hack each turn, and that's much better than let's say, power drip. I love taking Oracle with Seed as even when you have nothing to hack, you can take random camera for free.

I haven't played for a while, but I have to try E+ soon. Endless gets boring when you get all your gear, like everybody has Cloaks 3, Stims 3, Neural 3, and Nika is also a killing machine that doesn't raise alarms, so I pretty much cannot lose now, as difficulty stops increasing significantly after you get to super-deamons.

Edit: This was edited.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 07:54:07 pm by Grujah »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 08, 2015, 07:55:10 pm »
+2

...Dungeon of the Endless just updated with four new heroes... from Team Fortress... for free...

I just... How... What...?

I don't understand what is going on with the world and I am feeling slightly afraid.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 08, 2015, 08:10:13 pm »
+2

haha I saw that. I don't own the game as of now, but I can say this makes it significantly more attractive to me.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 10, 2015, 02:40:50 pm »
+3

So I finally got my hands on Crypt of the Necrodancer. I've only reached 2-4 yet and only seen two bosses, but I don't see how the game could possibly live up to 1-2's theme.

The game reminds me a lot of Spelunky, but less vicious.

Also screw those Red Dragons. Seriously.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 47  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.