Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 47  All

Author Topic: roguelike games  (Read 272796 times)

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
Re: roguelike games
« Reply #750 on: November 13, 2014, 02:41:16 am »
+1

And I did try Binding of Isaac Rebirth. Super fun! I beat Mom on Normal after a few tries, made it to Mom's heart with Azazel but died. Working on Hard mode now...one of my promising runs was absolutely borked by a "reroll" room, which swapped out all my equipment?!?! WTF! The top-down shooter perspective/action roguelike-like style reminds me of Nuclear Throne, which I'm still enjoying immensely.

Just letting you know there is a decent amount more to the game after moms heart. I still havn't tried hard mode and there is so much I have yet to complete.

Also ya those reroll rooms do different things depending on what number is on the floor. they have saved just as many runs as they have ruined for me. But they are so much fun!
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 13, 2014, 11:52:27 am »
+1

Good point, I hadn't even considered science/career mode. These are obviously just preliminary dickings around in sandbox...I don't trust my skills well enough yet to put any sort of permanency on the line :)

The experiment was actually something of a disappointment; maybe I was screwing something up, but it seems like there is a maximum enforced rotational velocity. I left those spiral rockets burning for ages and it didn't seem to speed up much beyond a point. I was hoping the craft would disintegrate and/or Froberry's organs would rupture from the rotational stress. But it doesn't seem like that's possible.

Science mode is arguably easier than sandbox mode. You still have unlimited resources, but you are restricted in your part choice, so it works as a tutorial of sorts because you are kinda railroaded for the first few hours. It's easier to achieve a stable orbit when you only have to chose how to put together 20 different pieces, instead of 200 (in DCSS terms, achieving a stable orbit is the equivalent of reaching the Lair, and landing is the equivalent of an 11 rune game).
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 14, 2014, 02:08:39 am »
+2

I'm surprised Dream Quest is not mentioned here. (Maybe it's only for iOS? I played it on my iPad.) It's basically a roguelike take on Dominion/Ascension-style deckbuilding. I actually don't like it at all but it has many fans and I respect its innovative genre mix. (The reason I don't like it is that I feel in some way it's a worst-of-both-worlds mix, but others may disagree.)

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 15, 2014, 01:54:57 am »
+1

I was able to defeat Mom's Heart on Hard! Using Azazel though, who's sort of unfair. And then around 2/3 through the game, I discovered the most OP combination of items possible: Guppy's Paw + Converter. Immediately gives you 10+ hearts. And to stack on even more win, that same floor had a Devil Room -- including the Dead Cat. So then I had 10 hearts and 9 lives in the bank. The hardest part of the game after that was Utero I, which had an obnoxious Curse of Darkness.

If there's more to the game than that (I think I saw a Cathedral in the first one?), it's not obvious how you're supposed to access it...I guess I'll probably look it up. And I'd like to try to win with some more conventional characters as well.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 16, 2014, 01:19:25 pm »
+1

Won with Isaac on Hard as well. Using an equally OP combination--Brimstone + The Ludovico Technique gives you a permanent ring of brimstone that you can maneuver around the room manually. Combine with flight and you can do massive damage remotely at minimum risk. And then stack on a bunch of other stuff like Dark Bum, Whore of Babylon, Monstro's Tooth, Taurus, etc. and you've got a pretty unstoppable character. Mom's Heart went down in like five seconds.

I guess I just need to beat the game a number of times in order to consistently access the final levels? So I'll keep working at that.

My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 19, 2014, 05:48:25 am »
+2

BoI continues to be good fun. Beat the game a few more times, defeated Satan but no Cathedral yet. Have you seen the challenges too? Some of them are crazy and they're a good change of pace. The Technology Master one was awesome; not so much a challenge as a crazy purple laser funtime experience.

Also, KSP. Those are my two games right now. Although I'm not really doing that one roguelike style at the moment; I did Science mode up until a moon landing, and then I got bored carting mystery goo around the universe haha. Maybe I'll try career mode once I experiment with some docking and stuff.

Check out this sweet sky chariot I cobbled together tonight! It's not much, but I was happy with how it turned out. Basically a command pod drawn by two jet engines. Obviously heavily inspired by the podracers from Episode I.

The X-shaped struts on the front are not really necessary, they're just for looks. It's not as wobbly as I thought it would be, or maybe as it should be. I could experiment with other materials for the 'reins'.

It actually flies really well, although it takes a while to lift off. The thermoelectric reactors on the back are mostly dead weight so it balances right. Plus, I mean, extra nuclear reactors. The goal is clearly to skim the ground as closely as possible...now that's podracing.

I don't like the looks of that facility over there. I might have to weaponize and come back.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 19, 2014, 11:36:54 am »
+2

Ha, that's awesome! I'm still working on my spaceplane skills. Currently, there is this very advanced technique I am trying to master that I've dubbed "pointing in the same direction I am moving". I'm still ironing out the details of such an anti-"ground-breaking" concept.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:48:54 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 19, 2014, 03:41:22 pm »
+3

I think it got mentioned way up but does anyone here play Crypt of the Necrodancer? I just started playing it and it's already a serious contender for my favorite game of all time.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 19, 2014, 04:34:07 pm »
+2

Yes so much fun! I haven't played in a couple weeks but I was getting reasonably consistent at the daily challenges. The music alone makes it worthwhile, and when you get a groove going it feels great. Maybe I'll get back into it; there's probably been an update or two.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 22, 2014, 07:33:24 pm »
+2

I think it got mentioned way up but does anyone here play Crypt of the Necrodancer? I just started playing it and it's already a serious contender for my favorite game of all time.

I just picked it up a couple nights ago. Wow. It's pretty amazing. After I finished, I was trying to read a web page and noticed that I was scrolling to the beat of the (no-longer-even-playing) song. Once I stopped it became much easier to read.  :P

For those who are still on the fence, I would recommend it, even at this early stage. In difficulty and pacing, it reminds me a lot of Spelunky, but the rhythm game element is very strong and the music is appropriately awesome.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 23, 2014, 03:31:42 am »
+1

Tried out Crypt and it's fun. My first thought was that the concept sounds good but hard to pull off, so it's neat that they managed it. After playing a few times though, I now find it's more like a turn-based game with turns timed to (great) music than it is like a rhythm game, in that the rhythm component hasn't been expanded beyond holding a steady beat (apart from the tempo-up/tempo-down traps, but those don't appear to have a gameplay effect).

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 25, 2014, 08:34:59 am »
+4

Have you ever been driving a car and thought, yeah this is pretty cool, but I wish I could connect with adjacent cars to make like a bigger car? Well dream no more!

Presenting the Modular Car. As you can see, it has docking ports on all four sides for convenient modularity.

Intimidate aggressive drivers! Park in tight spaces! Save on gas money probably!

Naturally, it should be stackable.

We choose to send a Modular Car stack to the moon not because it is easy, but because it is ridiculous.

First stage detached, making the burn to Kerbin orbit. Looks sweet with the lights on.

Hold it right there, the Moon! This is the space cops. Have you been drinking anything tonight ma'am?

Touchdown! The lander is real dodgy, it's super bouncy and top-heavy. Some of my engineering choices in general were pretty questionable, and I certainly learned a bit over the course of this project.

The way I used to unload the cars was awesome...I dropped the whole stack, precariously rolled it away, and then lifted the cars off one by one from the top using the internal rockets. Unfortunately this was extremely inconsistent, especially with the moon's low gravity and hilly terrain. So I switched to the (in retrospect, obvious) method of just keeping them attached to the lander, then dropping them one at a time from the bottom--all I had to do was adjust the staging.

Your tax dollars at work.

Done without quicksaves! After numerous failed attempts. The temptation was strong to just jump the final construction off a crater and hit the jets, but I will keep it up there for now...I might return with more cars, that's the point after all! I've got ideas to tweak the design some more, but I'm pretty burnt out on this right now haha. I would eventually like to send some to Mars or Moho; I haven't even attempted any interplanetary travel at all. Or maybe try for some proper space docking now that I've experimented with it on the ground.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 25, 2014, 11:59:52 am »
+1

[Awesomeness]

This is ridiculous...ly awesome. I'm eagerly awaiting to see what sort of space station you'll cook up in planetary space :P

Also thumbs up for no-quicksave landing.

Docking is not difficult, but it is extremely counter-intuitive...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 25, 2014, 07:50:12 pm »
+1

Is dungeon crawl still cool? they just released 1.5 and i want to get into playing it some more again.
I want to go for 15 runes on my next win.

Looks like they nerfed Tukishima's Dance, shortly after it helped me immensley with my first win!

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 25, 2014, 08:25:49 pm »
+1

Dungeon Crawl is eternally cool.

Try a Qazlal character, he's a really fun god, and seemingly quite strong! If you work up your invocations a bit his abilities are pretty spectacular, and useful. If nothing else the clouds look pretty.

Although I'm not sure about Qazlal for 15 runes...the total lack of stealth is tricky in the late game. You can always switch to TSO/Zin or whatever. Or just POWER THROUGH!

I guess they nerfed Tukishima's Dance considering the removal of carry weight?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: November 25, 2014, 08:40:43 pm »
+2

Dungeon Crawl is eternally cool.

Try a Qazlal character, he's a really fun god, and seemingly quite strong! If you work up your invocations a bit his abilities are pretty spectacular, and useful. If nothing else the clouds look pretty.

Although I'm not sure about Qazlal for 15 runes...the total lack of stealth is tricky in the late game. You can always switch to TSO/Zin or whatever. Or just POWER THROUGH!

I guess they nerfed Tukishima's Dance considering the removal of carry weight?
Maybe that's why. Tushima's Dance was usually balanced at least somewhat by the difficulty in having both a good carry capacity and good spellcasting ability.  Chei gave  +15 to both :D

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: November 27, 2014, 10:58:59 pm »
+1

Amazing BoI run. I was looking to beat the Cathedral with Blue Baby to unlock the D6, and the game just handed it to me. First floor curse room Guppy's Head, treasure room Ipecac! Ipecac naturally means I blow up everything in sight, revealing a trap door with a free Infestation 2! So now you've got a devastating swarm of blue arthropods along with your tear bombs. The real kicker was a floor 2 treasure room Dark Bum, which is stupid OP, especially for Blue Baby. It only got better from there; all bosses went down in literally one second.

Seed was EQCT TJAS

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: November 28, 2014, 10:26:11 pm »
+3

If I ask for a steam gift for xmas should it be BoI?

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: November 29, 2014, 12:23:47 am »
+1

I'm really digging it. I didn't play the original, so it's all fresh for me. But it's a load of fun, it's got my recommendation.

Just got "Golden God" achievement!

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: November 29, 2014, 12:36:16 am »
+2

I'm really digging it. I didn't play the original, so it's all fresh for me. But it's a load of fun, it's got my recommendation.

Just got "Golden God" achievement!

dang your catching up to me! nice. I'm glad your enjoying it.

Now try and get plat God!

(I'm never going to get it so if you do thats impressive)

also ya you should get it pops!
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: November 29, 2014, 07:12:58 am »
+1

It depends on what kind of games you like, and what else you have in mind.

But BoI is a super awesome game, so you can't go wrong there. Be sure to ask for the new one (Rebirth). I mean, you can buy the old one for like 1 dollar and a half during a Steam sale.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: November 30, 2014, 12:56:35 pm »
+3

Q: What's more annoying than a crimson imp?
A: A crimson imp that really likes activating its ring of invisibility.

Q: What's even more annoying than that?
A: Some invisible creature that had a distortion weapon on D:6 that sent me to the abyss.

There was literally no sign that the creature was there until it sent me to the abyss in one hit. I was really confused about it for a while.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: November 30, 2014, 01:02:27 pm »
+2

A: Some invisible creature that had a distortion weapon on D:6 that sent me to the abyss.

There was literally no sign that the creature was there until it sent me to the abyss in one hit. I was really confused about it for a while.

Did both happen in the same game?

I would feel sorry for you, but I can't, this is too funny  ;D

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: November 30, 2014, 02:57:49 pm »
+1

Rage reroll formicid

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: December 01, 2014, 07:30:07 pm »
+1

Cleared Necrodancer zone 3 for the first time a couple days ago. (Just normal mode, not hardcore.) I like how zone 3 is swarmier while still being fair--perfect play should be able to handle nearly anything. The music IMO is not as good later on in the game as in the initial levels, though.

To answer my earlier wondering about whether the rhythm aspect would be developed more, it is a bit (minor spoilers): The speed of music is increased to increase difficulty, which is an interesting mechanic. Also, the King Conga boss omits every 8th beat.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:32:41 pm by blueblimp »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 47  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.