Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 47  All

Author Topic: roguelike games  (Read 274861 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: roguelike games
« Reply #600 on: July 26, 2014, 08:54:10 pm »
+1

Eh, got cocky. Died in Elves:3 after forgetting that scrolls of blinking didn't work and a rather unlucky teleport. :-\

Basically, there was a small vault filled with spellcasters. The vault itself wasn't really dangerous, but there was no easy way out of it. I accepted the challenge anyway because I thought that I could always blink out of it. I used Trog's Hand and berserked, to clear the vault before things got nasty. The problem was that summons were constantly getting on the way, and twisted resurrection apparently works even when people are standing on the corpses, so large abominations were getting formed behind me. When berserk finally ran out, most of the spellcasters were still alive. I still had a lot of life, but there were too many enemies to take care of while slowed. I said: "no prob, I blink out of the way, rest a bit, it ¡t'll be easier now that I know what's waiting for me". I read the scroll, and blink randomly. Cold sweat starts running down my back when I realize what's happening. I read a scroll of teleport, and two turns later I find myself in a larger vault, despite the fact that I had already cleared 70% of the level. I get hellfired, smitten and poisoned faster than I can read another teleport scroll. Oh well, it was kind of a funny run. My only regret is not having a "berserker champion of Vehumet" in my morgue.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:27:49 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 27, 2014, 03:10:41 pm »
+1

That sucks.  Some stuff I read in the tavern said to be really cautious about when to attempt elf 3.  It's a familiar feeling for summons to seem innocuous but just keep on coming.  Having abjuration in your toolkit is a sweet part of beeing either caster or hybrid

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 27, 2014, 03:11:44 pm »
+1

pacovf you want to duel on walrus's picks?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 27, 2014, 03:29:09 pm »
+1

Here, I'll go.

Abdul
Tronk
Gambly
Ig
Viktor

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 27, 2014, 03:45:51 pm »
+1

1-1-1-1-1.  I liked all five first options most.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 27, 2014, 03:46:18 pm »
+1

fortunately i decided before looking at your post very much because i don't have to mouseover to see that you must have picked Ig >_<

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 27, 2014, 03:47:16 pm »
+1

Bust! All matches

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 27, 2014, 04:12:31 pm »
+1

Aight 2 secs I'll make some more
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 27, 2014, 04:45:22 pm »
+1

5 more:

PAIR 1:

Datura the Vine Stalker Assassin of Xom

VS

Malachite the Gargoyle Chaos Knight of Xom, Trog, or Nemelex Xobeh, mace in hand

PAIR 2:

Winterling the High Elf Ice Elementalist of Makhleb or Yredelemnul

VS

Sassafras the Naga Enchanter of Vehumet or Trog

PAIR 3:

Babe Ruth the Draconian Air Elementalist of Lugonu or Fedhas

VS

Sangvin the Vampire Berserker of Trog, Xom, or Okawaru, mace in hand

PAIR 4:

Lou Gehrig the Draconian Abyssal Knight of Lugonu or Cheibriados, spear in hand

VS

Ngrrr the Troll Wanderer of Xom or Dithmenos

PAIR 5:

Ensign Flappy the Tengu Fighter of Dithmenos or Vehumet, flail in hand

VS

Archibald the Naga Ice Elementalist of Jiyva, Nemelex Xobeh, or Sif Muna
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:01:56 pm by WalrusMcFishSr »
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 27, 2014, 11:09:56 pm »
+1

So pissed. Lost a 2-rune MuAK in the Vaults for no reason at all. Bad teleport led to a room with some centaurs at low health, decided to Corrupt...the neutral creatures boxed me in and I got slammed by a large abomination. And I was being stingy with heal wounds charges.

Grrr. Time for a burger break

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 28, 2014, 03:31:08 am »
+1

Either you people play much more quickly than I do, or you have way more time than I do. Or both :o

In other news, trying a Naga Transmuter. All is fun and games until I find a centaur.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 28, 2014, 10:37:57 am »
+1

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 28, 2014, 10:39:36 am »
+1

I think it's more skill intensive not to generate wanderers, since the drafters have less information about the characteristics of the wanderer than they do with any other class. 

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 28, 2014, 11:17:14 am »
+1

Fair enough. I thought it would be a good wild card, especially since you can't start scum!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 28, 2014, 12:46:27 pm »
+2

Eh, got cocky. Died in Elves:3 after forgetting that scrolls of blinking didn't work and a rather unlucky teleport. :-\

Basically, there was a small vault filled with spellcasters. The vault itself wasn't really dangerous, but there was no easy way out of it. I accepted the challenge anyway because I thought that I could always blink out of it. I used Trog's Hand and berserked, to clear the vault before things got nasty. The problem was that summons were constantly getting on the way, and twisted resurrection apparently works even when people are standing on the corpses, so large abominations were getting formed behind me. When berserk finally ran out, most of the spellcasters were still alive. I still had a lot of life, but there were too many enemies to take care of while slowed. I said: "no prob, I blink out of the way, rest a bit, it ¡t'll be easier now that I know what's waiting for me". I read the scroll, and blink randomly. Cold sweat starts running down my back when I realize what's happening. I read a scroll of teleport, and two turns later I find myself in a larger vault, despite the fact that I had already cleared 70% of the level. I get hellfired, smitten and poisoned faster than I can read another teleport scroll. Oh well, it was kind of a funny run. My only regret is not having a "berserker champion of Vehumet" in my morgue.

My Grey Draconian Warper also died in Elf:3 which made me sad. I'd finally found rPois and was making my way back to Swamp with it. (It was in the form of a staff of poison). Demonologists don't tend to get confused or at least not for very long in Mephitic Clouds, and Annilihators hit pretty hard. I actually felt pretty safe until some major demon a Tormentor cast Torment on me while an Annilihator refused to get confused. (50 damage burst makes me sad).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:47:53 pm by Jorbles »

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 28, 2014, 01:12:45 pm »
+1

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 28, 2014, 03:30:48 pm »
+1

Looks like then it will be Datura vs. Malachite! Xomtastic! Good luck to you both.

Elf:3 must be cursed lately...I had another 2 rune MuAK who was suddenly reduced to 1 HP by a crystal spear and then finished off by a blademaster. Also, I didn't realize Corrupt summons could be abjured :( Lesson learned.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 30, 2014, 09:42:18 pm »
+1

finished my runs

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 31, 2014, 06:14:00 am »
+1

Me too, they were horrible, all died before I even got teeth upgrade.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 31, 2014, 06:45:18 am »
+1

One day, I will manage to reach the Lair with a NaTr. Half of them die before they can even cast spider form with better than 80% success. My best attempt until now died in a baley that for some reason was filled with deep elfs, instead of orcs and goblins. Talk of a death trap.

T-3000 has been a spectacularly unlucky name, who would have thought.

EDIT: yeah, NaTm, not NaTr, although the unholy union between a Naga and a Troll would be something interesting to see.

EDIT 2: Talking about Trolls, I finally managed to reach Lair, just to be killed by a ghost Troll monk. Yay.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:09:37 am by pacovf »

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 31, 2014, 07:45:36 am »
+2

Tr is troll. Tm is transmuter.

Sorry. :P

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 31, 2014, 10:38:58 am »
+1

what was your best unique slain?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 31, 2014, 10:41:02 am »
+1

I killed Josephine

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 31, 2014, 12:40:37 pm »
+2

I'm playing a casty stabber right now. I started as a Spriggan Assassin and found Ensorcelled Hibernation rather quickly. Holy crap did it make Lair easy. I'm in the bottom of Orc now and the bottom of it has been one of those rarer ones that's populated almost entirely with Ogres, Giants and Trolls. Little magic resistance and easy to sneak up on! Free experience!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 31, 2014, 07:34:18 pm »
+2

Just had a really great/frustrating run.

I had a Spriggan Assassin of Ashenzari. I cleared the Lair and the Orcish Mines with relative ease. I had a randart ring that gave rPois, rCold, rFire and +1 Int that was amazing, plus a ring of magic immunity and a necklace of warding. I had a robe of resistance, a hat and a cloak. Every available slot was filled, my hat and cloak were just generic +2s, but they were fine. I was a great utility caster with Blink, Confuse, Ensorcelled Hibernation, Agony, Summon Butterflies, Apportation, Invisibility, Repel Missiles, Ensorcelled Glaciation, Sure Blade and Regeneration. All my spells were cast at 1% chance of failure or less and most of them were powerful versions of the spells. My weapon a +4/+5 cutlass of venom was going to need to be replaced eventually, but not until I finished at least Spider, and if I needed to I could duck into Elf:1 and probably find something to replace it.

Spider isn't too hard at first  I sneak up and kill Arachne, plus kill a horde of spiders and run through a cave of ice (which didn't have loot I could use so I just ran once I saw the loot instead of fighting the guardian blizzard demons). Once I got to L4 I dodged fighting Norris who looked hard for me to kill and then did the same with Kirke when I failed to sneak up on either of them. Decided to just get to L5 grab the rune and run. I find the fortress for the rune right away. Fight my way through the spiders at the door without incident. I go invis and stab all scary guards (red wasps, emperor scorpions, ghost moths) while they slept, only the last emperor scorpion even woke up and noticed what was going on. Hooray I got the Gossamer Rune!

Okay now what, I can explore around those Uniques a bit on L4 and I do the same on L5, but don't want to fight Frances so I duck around her when she wakes up. I find Nikola, and I don't have rElec, but I look at him and he has a cloak of darkness and a cutlass of electrocution... I want both of those things. (my cutlass of venom is unlikely to be useful once I leave Spider) I Agony him twice getting him quite low, and all I've lost is 8 HP and a few butterflies. I'm feeling confident, and step in for the kill. BLAM LIGHTNING BOUNCE LIGHTNING BOUNCE LIGHTNING BOUNCE LIGHTNING. "You have died..."

Sigh.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 47  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.