Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47  All

Author Topic: roguelike games  (Read 272855 times)

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
Re: roguelike games
« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2014, 11:18:08 am »
+1

Is that snail-covered slowness god worthwhile? If so, for what builds? I had a pretty cool Ghoulish Monk who died pretty much immediately after joining that. Could be coincidental though.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2014, 12:40:58 pm »
+1

I feel like the snail god is one of the hardest gods to get good use of. Probably aimed at people who want a bit more of a challenge.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2014, 02:18:55 pm »
+1

Made a new character. Immediately died to a lizard when I tried punching it to death instead of wasting MP.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2014, 02:32:50 pm »
+1

Chei is good for Naga Transmuter and some other guys, I think.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2014, 04:23:33 pm »
+1

I think that Chei pretends to be good for nagas but actually still sucks.
Also, why does the ring of sustenance help heavy casters?
As long as you're not vegetarian, I've always thought that there is plenty of food in the dungeon.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2014, 04:47:12 pm »
+1

Is that snail-covered slowness god worthwhile? If so, for what builds? I had a pretty cool Ghoulish Monk who died pretty much immediately after joining that. Could be coincidental though.
I caught a bit of conversation between two people in IRC and they were cracking jokes about it being the best god in the game.  My inferences is that it's not a powerful god.

Keep in mind that Monks are best when they go barehanded, and barehanded is best for extensive runs, like 8+ runes.  The reason is that they need more skill levels than any other weapon to reach their maximum attack speed.  They have to reach 27, iirc.  Once they reach 27 they have high attack speed than many other weapons and better damage than shortblades. They are a really cool class and really fun to play, and I couldn't resist playing them several times, but keep in mind that dying early is what they're good at.  I have lately been really wanting to score a first win so have been saving them for later.

If you're going for 3 rune runs, going monk is probably more of a handicap than worshipping snails

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2014, 04:57:31 pm »
+1

As long as you're not vegetarian, I've always thought that there is plenty of food in the dungeon.

Clearing large crowds where you cannot go in and butcher them half-way through eats through permafood very fast without it.

heron

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2014, 06:02:31 pm »
+1

Clearing large crowds where you cannot go in and butcher them half-way through eats through permafood very fast without it.

Really? You know that you don't really get any penalties until 'Starving'? I have never experienced such problems before.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2014, 06:04:42 pm »
+1

What do you guys think about undead spellcasters? I tried a Mummy Ice Elementalist (mostly because I was annoyed with being so hungry) and it seemed to work ok.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2014, 06:27:45 pm »
+1

Mummy is actually the only undead spellcaster that doesn't eat food.  The other ones have to eat.

However, any spellcaster can go on the zero calorie diet if they find the rare spell "Lich", found in randomly dropped books or earned from worshipping Ydremmul.  It transforms them into a hungerless undead with bonus power on necromancy spells, and you can refresh the buff to keep it going all the time.

Using the auto-eat and easy-eat functions from configs can make eating less of a pain though.

heron

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2014, 06:37:39 pm »
+1

Isn't that 'Necromutation' and you get it from Kikubaaqudgha?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2014, 06:50:29 pm »
+1

Isn't that 'Necromutation' and you get it from Kikubaaqudgha?

Yes.

And my DrCj really did have eating problems when casting a lot (I also later got "you digest meat inefficiently"). I do know that starving is the only bad one.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2014, 09:12:57 pm »
+1

Made a new character. Immediately died to a lizard when I tried punching it to death instead of wasting MP.
Was it a Giant Gecko or an iguana? Iguanas are really strong and rarely appear on floor one, giant geckos are harder than goblins and rats but wouldn't normally annihilate you before you could figure out what was happening.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2014, 11:00:58 pm »
+1

That's why you kill something with wand of disentegration and have a midfight snack :D

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 28, 2014, 12:15:15 am »
+1

Was it a Giant Gecko or an iguana? Iguanas are really strong and rarely appear on floor one, giant geckos are harder than goblins and rats but wouldn't normally annihilate you before you could figure out what was happening.

I think it was a gecko, but I can't remember anymore.

I actually had a fairly good run going today with a Minotaur Berserker. I thought I was going really far, but then I ran into Sonja, who I was about to kill when she banished me to the Abyss. I didn't know she could do that, but it sucked. I died quite quickly there I was nowhere near ready for the Abyss.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 28, 2014, 01:15:44 am »
+1

It's not too hard to survive banishment to the Abyss if you just run from everything and wait for a randomly generated exit door.  You can try playing Abyssal Knight a couple times to practice, they start in the Abyss at level 1, but more than half the time clever movement will allow you to escape. 

Just make sure your strategy is not to kill stuff when you get banished to the abyss.  That's not what you want at all.  I wouldn't even recommend oneshotting small stuff or using disables on things as you flee, every turn you spend not moving there are demons moving towards you from the area near you, but if you move in the direction of ungenerated terrain no monsters are there yet, so it's safer.  At least, that's how it seems.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2014, 02:52:24 am »
+1

Stopping by to say that I've been spending a lot of time on Binding of Isaac lately, which is a more of a rogue-lite according to people who have played more roguelikes than me. It takes so long to get there, but once you can beat the game semi-consistently, and you realize that you're getting more consistent every run, suddenly all your free time disappears.

As point of reference, working on 100%ing the game, I've gotten final unlocks for half of the characters so far, and every general achievement except for the annoying RNG ones.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2014, 04:37:42 am »
+1

I loved the Binding of Isaac and spent waaay too much time on it. I've got all unlocks except the scissors, and I am missing the "don't get hit" achievements from most areas (although once I got reaaaaaally close to beating the womb without being touched, thanks to a flying high-speed high-tears build).

Have you beaten the chest yet?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 28, 2014, 04:58:21 am »
+1

Yeah. Acheivements/items I have left are:

Get 4 meat cubes (aka RNG: the acheivement.)
Common cold (which is also RNG, but I think it's weird I don't have it yet. You only need two items, and they're not THAT rare...)
Beat Sheol with Samson, Eve.
Beat Cathedral with Samson.
Beat Chest with Samson, Eve, ??.?

tl;dr I really do not like Samson. I don't like Judas either, but I just got two amazing back to back runs to Chest and Sheol today, so at least I never have to use him ever again.

Edit: Oh and no damage on depths or womb, but I'm focusing more on unlocking the items than the achievements.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:59:38 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2014, 05:15:30 am »
+1

It's not too hard to survive banishment to the Abyss if you just run from everything and wait for a randomly generated exit door.  You can try playing Abyssal Knight a couple times to practice, they start in the Abyss at level 1, but more than half the time clever movement will allow you to escape. 

Just make sure your strategy is not to kill stuff when you get banished to the abyss.  That's not what you want at all.  I wouldn't even recommend oneshotting small stuff or using disables on things as you flee, every turn you spend not moving there are demons moving towards you from the area near you, but if you move in the direction of ungenerated terrain no monsters are there yet, so it's safer.  At least, that's how it seems.

I dunno what are the rules when banished, but it seems easier to do with AK XL1 as you are guaranteed an exit near your spawn point.

And yeah, unless you are ready to take on Lair Branches (Shoals etc) you shouldn't fight at all in Abyss, just run.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 28, 2014, 10:20:58 am »
+1

What do you guys do with Randarts you find that are not useful to your character?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 28, 2014, 12:21:52 pm »
+1

Yeah. Acheivements/items I have left are:

Get 4 meat cubes (aka RNG: the acheivement.)
Common cold (which is also RNG, but I think it's weird I don't have it yet. You only need two items, and they're not THAT rare...)
Beat Sheol with Samson, Eve.
Beat Cathedral with Samson.
Beat Chest with Samson, Eve, ??.?

tl;dr I really do not like Samson. I don't like Judas either, but I just got two amazing back to back runs to Chest and Sheol today, so at least I never have to use him ever again.

Edit: Oh and no damage on depths or womb, but I'm focusing more on unlocking the items than the achievements.

The 4 meat cube ones, having the book of revelations help, since if you use it, you are guaranteed a fight against a horseman at the end of the level (unless you've already fought one in this "zone"). Unlocking the forgotten horseman doesn't help, though.

I hate Samson. He's just the worst of all, with no life, no damage, no tears... I find dead baby is better than him! There are some objects that only activate when you're at half a heart or lower, and dead baby abuses them like no other. And he doesn't get lowered tears and damage either.

But I do like Judas. He's got insanely high damage, and his object is quite nice (increased chance to find Satan, which might translate into an angel room later on if you can't buy anything). He is dependent on finding a couple of heart increases quickly, though, so I can see why you don't like him.

But my favourite is Cain. He's quick, he's strong, and his initial object is nuts, both from the increase of drops, the always positive pills (bordering OP), and the better returns on fortune telling machines for crazy amounts of spirit hearts (which aren't capped, unlike red hearts). Seriously, all this for one less heart than Isaac and slightly less range.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 28, 2014, 12:57:09 pm »
+1

On a new run with a new Minotaur Berzerker, and it's going even better than before. I managed to find plate armour early, found a good halberd (anti-magic), and found a ring of regen, which is incredibly useful to speed up resting.

Using those I've managed to get to the second level of the lair, where I now have max piety, and found !crystal plate! just lying around near a stair case. On top of that I decided to ID some potions in a safe spot and found the mutations potion when it gave me breathe fire, +2 strength and +2 int! Trog's started granting me branded halberds, nothing amazing so far (freezing and dragon-slaying), too. Some runs just go well.

(Having said this I'll probably die as soon as I start playing again)

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2014, 01:43:07 pm »
+1

Tagging this thread.  Now that I've played a few games.  Also, I have virtually no idea what anybody is talking about.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 28, 2014, 01:46:49 pm »
+1

Tagging this thread.  Now that I've played a few games.  Also, I have virtually no idea what anybody is talking about.

Sometimes people are talking about different games, which makes it extra confusing!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.