Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 47  All

Author Topic: roguelike games  (Read 272840 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: roguelike games
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2014, 04:12:43 pm »
+1

I have a game going on webtiles and one on local right now.  The one on local is a centaur focusing on axes that has somehow found just about every randart axe known to man (many of them gifted by Trog). 

The one on webtiles is a mummy wanderer that spawned with a basic necro book, level 5 fighting, and a mace (not with much skill at using the mace, but it beats the necro-background dagger). 
I assumed the best route to go would be necro magic, because I thought I remembered mages being the recommended class for Mummy.  But even after committing to magic a ton I'm doing like no damage with pain.  It's because my Int is low, it's lower then my other stats, even before you throw in the +5 str +3 dex ring I found.

So I feel like that was a mistake and the character is incredibly imperfect.  But he keeps finding really strong drops, including a dagger of distortion, which I am afraid to unequip ever since i found it because there's a risk of banishment, aka instaloss.
Dagger of distortion turns out to deal really good damage though, and I've hit two unique armors, multiple unique rings, and lots of scrolls to buff the dagger of distortion pretty strong.  I'm not sure whether to keep forcing a magic build or just get strength and dex and work my distortion dagger.  I worshipped vehemut expecting that to buff my pain damage, but he only buffs conjuration damages :/

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2014, 05:03:11 pm »
+1

Mummies are good mages cause they have no spell hunger. You can make Pain deal more damage by learning a lot of necro..

Had an AWESOME HECj. He had so many tricks up his sleeve - conjure flames + searing ray, mephitic cloud + ignite poison (was gonna learn poison bolt for this too), learned blink as well and could just straight up spam fireballs.

Than I got killed by an fucking unseen horror that I couldn't fight at all as I didn't find anything to see invis whole game.

AAAARGH.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:04:53 pm by Grujah »

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2014, 05:09:46 pm »
+1

So I finally caved and downloaded this. My first character, an Octopod Artificer, was not long for this world. Obviously Octopodes are the best race, so I'll keep trying that.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2014, 05:34:26 pm »
+1

Octopodes seem like they could maybe be one of the best 15 rune run species, but I'm pretty sure they aren't the best 3 rune run species.

It's a pretty cool species though

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2014, 05:35:05 pm »
+1

Mummies learn necro slow, which kind of sucks.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2014, 05:36:32 pm »
+1

I mostly ignore Octopedes, Felids, Mummies, Ghouls, Demigods, Deep Dwarves, Gargoyles, Halflings and Ogres.

:D

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2014, 11:59:00 pm »
+2

First rune!  Spider rune!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2014, 05:42:05 pm »
+1

Died with 3 runes :(

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2014, 06:02:59 pm »
+1

My best character so far was a Gargoyle Warper. I'm digging the Warper class.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2014, 06:56:45 pm »
+1

My best character so far was a Gargoyle Warper. I'm digging the Warper class.
It's probably really good.  Translocation is so good that some of the high level branches forbid nonrandom teleportation/blinking.  You can beat the game without entering those branches though.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2014, 06:57:31 pm »
+1

Gargoyles are quite good too, they are getting a nerf in 0.14.

My current is (black) DrCj (of Sif). quite satisfied so far, didn't really find many books, got to XL10 with only basic Cj book.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2014, 08:07:32 pm »
+1

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2014, 09:31:46 pm »
+1

Died with 3 runes :(

Which char? MuWn? :D
Oh no, the MuWn didn't make it very far at all, he was poorly built and that mattered more than his lucky drops.
It was a CeBe

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2014, 04:09:13 am »
+1

This spell:
http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Iskenderun%27s_Battlesphere

Is SOOOOO Goood.

Edit: Apparently, this highly armored mage Louise can Banish you to Abyss. I didn't know that. And it is quite unpleasant if you are low on HP and MP. I made it out, somehow. (XL 15, cleared Lair/Mines). Ok, twice. Finally got her.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:56:28 am by Grujah »

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2014, 10:41:47 am »
+1

I killed Sigmund! On Dungeon:4 as a Merman Gladiator. Those nets are a life-saver! And then I was rocking his enchanted scythe afterwards.

Only to succumb two floors down to ant poisoning :(

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2014, 11:25:03 am »
+1

Killing Sig early is always an achivement. Scythe, though, is usually bad as a weapon (unless the brand is really, really good).

Ugh, almost died to Frances in Swamp; she took like 3/4 of my hp with one spell (Iron Shot, I believe). Managed to get away; not sure if I want to go back, skip that floor or just go somewhere else.

Edit: I'm out of healing pots now (also no blink for quite a while), which ain't good. Still got some tps. Only transloc I've found so far is phase shift, ugh. Killed Frances, set fire to whole swamp floor in process. While it seemed like an OK idea, all that steam makes it so hard to navigate and not run into trouble.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:09:06 pm by Grujah »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2014, 02:12:35 pm »
+1

I can't believe I missed this thread especially when Grujah specifically mentioned how he found DC:SS by googling me. I may have to start playing this again.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2014, 02:47:10 pm »
+1

What's your best score so far? :D

In other news, Lamia is freaking hard. I am not fighting her.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:04:37 pm by Grujah »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 26, 2014, 03:22:34 pm »
+1

It hasn't changed since I played, which was a few years ago, but it's here. If I remember correctly I got picked off by a pack of ugly things though I can't remember exactly what happened, but it had to do with running out of food. I think I tried going to DL 13, it was too hard. I went back up to try and explore somewhere else, but some strong creatures spawned and ate me.

It had been a nice run, I was a High Elven Wizard. I'd gotten some nice spellbooks.  Sif Muna gifted me the Compendium of Torrid Confrontation, and I'd found the Book of Clouds and the Book of Air previously. I had found a really nice mace for a wizard, which I wasn't great using, but I'd decided it was better than the enchanted sabre I'd been using even with the much lower skill level I had with it (+4, +1). I was mostly trying to kill things with spells at that point anyways.
Code: [Select]
l - the +5,+5 mace of Brilliance {holy, rN+ AC+5 Int+5 SInv Stlth-}
   (You found it on level 9 of the Dungeon)   

It has been blessed by the Shining One to cause great damage to the undead
   and demons.

It affects your AC (+5).
   It affects your intelligence (+5).
   It protects you from negative energy.
   It enhances your eyesight.
   It makes you less stealthy.

I did not however identify my ring of sustenance (it hurt to see that in my inventory at the end of the game). So when I started to starve, and couldn't get past level 13, I tried to go back up to find monsters to scrounge for food so I could make a second attempt. Found ugly things who I guess killed me in my weakened state.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:30:40 pm by Jorbles »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 26, 2014, 04:10:41 pm »
+1

Man, I'm having a weird memory cascade of this run from analyzing the file. I was trying to make my way to the Elven Halls to scavenge for food in the first level or two, but I collapsed from exhaustion/starvation and a red ugly thing caught me.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 26, 2014, 05:41:49 pm »
+1

Luckily, I've found the ring of satiation early on, it helps A TON when playing heavy caster.

Just got the serpentine rune (in Snake Pit, I skipped killing Lumia, though). Now, realized I that I've under/overestimated few things about my char:

Sif. I knew that gift spellbooks are good. But channel energy is quite weaker than I though (gives a very little boost in MP, though is sometimes enough to get you out of a rough spot), but more importantly, Forgot Spell is way more useful that I imagined. Coupled with the huge amount of spellbooks, it basically allows you to adapt to any branch, as long as you diversify your spell schools - you just forget some spells and learn the needed ones. Need crowd control for Orc ? Get Meph Cloud and Fireball. Need poison for Spiders? Get Poison Cloud and Pois Arrow. Going Snake next? Forget poison and learn fire/air spells. Shoals? Repel/Deflect Missiles etc etc.

Black Draconian. I died enough times from Pikel's or Wraith's elec weapons and from elec eels (I even made them travel exclusive by default) to know how much rElec helps. And I did knew that that breath weapon isn't all that good, as even though it is powerful, esp later, it is just too random to be reliable. But I had NO IDEA how much at will, perma-flying helps. I basically beat Snake cuz on S:5, near the final lair where there were dozens of enemies, there was also a pool of lava. I basically cleared it but triggering aggro on few of them, flying into lava, and than spam them with Ice Clouds and various Bolts, while they cannot reach me. It was marvelous!

tl;dr - Sif's Forgot Spell and at-will permanent flying are both awesome.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 26, 2014, 06:24:52 pm »
+1

I definitely enjoy playing casters the most and Sif Muna is a great deity for casters. I find the hardest part with spell casters is finding the spells you need to go somewhere though. The reason the above run did so well was that I had a good variety of strong spells early Mephitic Cloud, Repel Missiles, and Poisonous Cloud were essential to getting me as far as I did. I was just getting to a point where I needed to start playing around and forgetting spells when I died. Maybe next time.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2014, 01:41:58 am »
+1

I posted the tournament I want to run in forum games.  I'm hoping to get at least 4 people because I feel like it would be fun to at least see one guy show up the other three with his skills.  Ask any questions in that thread.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 27, 2014, 04:08:33 am »
+1

I love the little touches in DCSS.. when you kill Prince Ribbit he leaves "The human corpse of Prince Ribbit".  Much moral ambiguity.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 27, 2014, 05:12:06 am »
+1

Yeah, I loved it one I found out that if you confuse a monster than making him asleep, he sleepwalks :P

ION, Dead.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 47  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.