Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 47  All

Author Topic: roguelike games  (Read 274299 times)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: roguelike games
« Reply #775 on: December 01, 2014, 07:53:00 pm »
+2

I just beat hardcore for the first time the other day, felt like such a boss. And Blueblimp, I respectfully disagree with the later tracks not being as good, 3-3 might be my favorite track in the game. You get to that level and it just feels so damn epic.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: December 01, 2014, 07:58:41 pm »
+2

Yea, necrodancer is a good time. I can pretty consistently beat hardcore with Cadence, but I haven't won with anyone else except Bard. I don't like going for high scores or speedrunning with anyone except Bard though so I worry the game will get stale after I win all characters. I guess I can always try streaking though.

3-3 and 3-2 are my favorite tracks.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: December 01, 2014, 10:53:13 pm »
+1

I'm playing around and streaming Binding of Isaac: Rebirth right now if anyone wants to watch me fumble around.

http://www.twitch.tv/drab_emordnilap

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: December 01, 2014, 11:26:37 pm »
+4

Yep, 3-2 is the catchiest song IMO. Doot, doot, doo doo doo doo, dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby Doot, doot, doo doo doo doo doo...! And I love how the music in zone 3 changes in the fire and ice regions.

Here's my most recent KSP endeavor: Xenon Pirates of Gilly! My attempt at a 18th century-style solar sail ship to navigate between worlds. I'll just post the album this time, since I took a bunch more screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/TjagF

My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: December 02, 2014, 01:55:29 am »
+1

Yep, 3-2 is the catchiest song IMO. Doot, doot, doo doo doo doo, dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby Doot, doot, doo doo doo doo doo...! And I love how the music in zone 3 changes in the fire and ice regions.

Here's my most recent KSP endeavor: Xenon Pirates of Gilly! My attempt at a 18th century-style solar sail ship to navigate between worlds. I'll just post the album this time, since I took a bunch more screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/TjagF

"How do you know they're British?"  I had to control myself not to spit all over my laptop.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: December 02, 2014, 04:47:02 pm »
+1

Urgh, I just got Screwed (with capital S) by the navball.

So, I've been working on a needlessly complicated mission, because needlesly complicated is what it's at. Basically, the plan was to send a large rover with a labrocket to wherever. I wanted to try it out first on Minmus, because the super low gravity makes it easier and requires less fuel.

So, managing to find a configuration of rover plus lab that can dock with each other is really really tricky. There's many ways to do it, but after many hours I managed to build something that wouldn't spontaneously combust on the launchpad (seriously) and that could actually get the rover roving in a safe and predictable way:

(the screenshot is taken with a mod, Kronal's Vessel Viewer, just because it is cool)

Ok, so everything cool, I fly to Minmus. I thought I would be short on fuel, but none of that, I get there and land with quite some fuel to spare, despite doing the least efficient landing ever (never underestimate the can'tseeadamnthingduringthenight factor!)

I can ever do some rovering around

This is the standard position of the rover, by the way. I tried to make it quite heavy so that it would stay on the ground, but meh. I can actually hover around just with the RCS.

Anyway, the problem is that my mobile lab has landed on a slope, so I can't dock back the rover. So I try to hover around with the labrocket to find a flat spot... and tragedy strikes: the navball is on orbital mode instead of land mode, so it doesn't take into account the angular motion of Minmus. Despite compensating the transversal movement displayed by the navball, I hit the ground very fast. The rocket does some amusing motions and explosions before my helpless eyes.

Now poor what's his name Kerbal is stranded on Minmus. At least the rover has rockets strapped on it...

Back to the launchpad. My next rocket will fly with one empty seat.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 05:27:14 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

heron

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 02, 2014, 07:32:23 pm »
+3

Okay, my luck in crawl lately has just been absurd. Today I made it to D:4 without finding a curing potion, got lethally poisoned by an adder, but survived by drawing through three nemelex decks and getting two elixir cards.

My character then proceeded to Lair, still without finding a curing potion. I found one healing potion but I had quaffed in an earlier lethal poisoning incident. So of course, I see a black mamba, and get cocky and attack it, get lethally poisoned, and die, because I still haven't found a single curing potion after 11 floors.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: December 04, 2014, 12:48:17 am »
+4

I just got my first hardcore Necrodancer win!

Like the first win of any roguelike, this one came with its share of good luck--Shrine of Peace in 1-1, early Bow, Ring of War, Crown of Thorns--but I still feel psyched about it.

I don't expect to ever become a grandmaster at the game, but I look forward to seeing what the fourth world has to offer.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 04, 2014, 10:38:39 am »
+1

Okay, my luck in crawl lately has just been absurd. Today I made it to D:4 without finding a curing potion, got lethally poisoned by an adder, but survived by drawing through three nemelex decks and getting two elixir cards.

My character then proceeded to Lair, still without finding a curing potion. I found one healing potion but I had quaffed in an earlier lethal poisoning incident. So of course, I see a black mamba, and get cocky and attack it, get lethally poisoned, and die, because I still haven't found a single curing potion after 11 floors.
I dunno man, chance favors the prepared.  Why go to Lair first when you know you lack curing potions and you know Lair has mambas and poison frogs?  Orc mine is similar difficulty and has almost no poison and confusion.  And D:X would have less poison on average.

heron

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 04, 2014, 04:31:35 pm »
+3

I dunno man, chance favors the prepared.  Why go to Lair first when you know you lack curing potions and you know Lair has mambas and poison frogs?  Orc mine is similar difficulty and has almost no poison and confusion.  And D:X would have less poison on average.

I kind of just assumed I had curing potions, because, you know, when do you ever not have curing potions by lair. I play kind of carelessly, which is probably why I don't win.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 04, 2014, 05:09:04 pm »
+2

It seems to me with the removal of item weight, guaranteed enchant scroll success, etc., they've lowered the frequency of basic consumable drops significantly. Those potions of curing and scrolls of remove curse and such are much dearer now in the early game.

And hitting up Orc before Lair is totally viable, I find myself doing it more and more. Especially Orc 1-3 aren't bad at all.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: December 05, 2014, 10:25:14 pm »
+3

I just unlocked the Mind and the Soul on Hard Mode. If you know what that is, you probably know it slightly made me want to kill myself.

Steps:

1.) Initial optimistic runs. Your optimism will be dashed shortly.
2.) Mash the 'R' button. Start scum to the max. If you judge me for this, please try playing some games as The Lost and see if you still think that way. (The Lost dies in one hit and can't increase his life bar in any way)
3.) Deep despair
4.) A glimmer of hope...for me it was Mom's Knife / Sacred Heart, it carried me for a couple floors. Could it really be?
5.) Nope lol
6.) At this point you have progressed to holding down the 'R' button. Non-optimal universes blink by like passing shadows.
7.) Enter a curse room, to see Dead Cat? Could it be?? But then I get killed by a fucking spider before I pick it up. This was the absolute depth of depair.
8.) Somehow the RNG was merciful and gave me another Dead Cat curse room after only a few more seeds!
9.) Homing fear shot urine lasers?
10.) Fucking do it.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 06, 2014, 12:45:27 am »
+1

I just unlocked the Mind and the Soul on Hard Mode. If you know what that is, you probably know it slightly made me want to kill myself.

Steps:

1.) Initial optimistic runs. Your optimism will be dashed shortly.
2.) Mash the 'R' button. Start scum to the max. If you judge me for this, please try playing some games as The Lost and see if you still think that way. (The Lost dies in one hit and can't increase his life bar in any way)
3.) Deep despair
4.) A glimmer of hope...for me it was Mom's Knife / Sacred Heart, it carried me for a couple floors. Could it really be?
5.) Nope lol
6.) At this point you have progressed to holding down the 'R' button. Non-optimal universes blink by like passing shadows.
7.) Enter a curse room, to see Dead Cat? Could it be?? But then I get killed by a fucking spider before I pick it up. This was the absolute depth of depair.
8.) Somehow the RNG was merciful and gave me another Dead Cat curse room after only a few more seeds!
9.) Homing fear shot urine lasers?
10.) Fucking do it.

I'm so impressed. I don't even have the willpower to try it.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 12, 2014, 02:20:29 am »
+1

I recently added the FAR mod to Kerbal Space Program, which greatly improves the aerodynamics system, so I've been trying to make some spaceplanes. Here's the Dodo, which can take off from Kerbin and fly to another planet in a single stage:

http://imgur.com/a/HU1nA

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 12, 2014, 04:29:21 am »
+1

Congrats. I think single stage to another planet is about as hard as it gets in KSP right now. Wait, no, now you have to rescue Bill with a single stage ship :P

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 13, 2014, 01:14:36 pm »
+1

I am bummed that the Shuffle was removed from DCSS.  It was a very fun card to use.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 15, 2014, 07:52:18 pm »
+1

I just bought bit dungeon II on steam. I havn't played it quite yet but i'm looking forward to it. My friend keeps getting me to buy all the rougelikes
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 15, 2014, 08:09:34 pm »
+2

I just bought bit dungeon II on steam. I havn't played it quite yet but i'm looking forward to it. My friend keeps getting me to buy all the rougelikes

For some reason I always misread your name as Hydra Dad.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 15, 2014, 10:09:57 pm »
+1

Hmm interesting. Now I'm self conscious about my name. I hope your happy!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 16, 2014, 06:10:41 pm »
+3

I hope you don't pass that self consciousness onto your hydra children. They need confidence in a rough world where adventurers have learned to stab them with spears and club them to death!

heron

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: December 16, 2014, 07:40:44 pm »
+3

I hope you don't pass that self consciousness onto your hydra children. They need confidence in a rough world where adventurers have learned to stab them with spears and club them to death!

Yea I am probably particularly guilty of this. I once slew a 99851-headed hydra.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: December 19, 2014, 08:23:46 pm »
+2

I keep trying to win an Ogre named Boulderfist in DCSS but I keep getting stupid deaths.

Getting banished by my own ghost sucks. 

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: December 23, 2014, 01:51:13 am »
+2

I finally, FINALLY, beat the last Triple Quest in Desktop Dungeons. The last quest is a monster, but amazing when I finally got it.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: December 23, 2014, 01:44:15 pm »
+1

I finally, FINALLY, beat the last Triple Quest in Desktop Dungeons. The last quest is a monster, but amazing when I finally got it.

What sort of setup do you like in the game or do you have a preference?

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: December 23, 2014, 07:46:39 pm »
+1

What sort of setup do you like in the game or do you have a preference?

I'm partial to Sorcerers, who have powerful and versatile abilities that work both at low and high levels; and Orcs, because I like hitting things for big numbers. Most of my Vicious Token wins came from Orc Sorcerers. But I've played a bunch of every class. I love the aspect of cobbling together whatever resources you manage to find to pull out a win.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 47  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.