Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 47  All

Author Topic: roguelike games  (Read 271949 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: roguelike games
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2014, 12:28:30 am »
+1

the sewer had an ice ring, which is great since i'm an ice elementalist ghoul

i'm gonna kick ass and take names and inscribe them onto the rotting corpses

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2014, 02:45:23 am »
+1

This game is so damn dark.

"You die.  Fedhas appreciates your contribution to the ecosystem."

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2014, 02:48:25 am »
+1

What's the clarity mutation do? And why can't I find mutations in the documentation :((

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2014, 04:04:52 am »
+1

Hm.. Should I buy:
The +7, +7 sword "Leuxithru"

or

3 large rocks

Tough call.  I mean I could throw one of those rocks, and then still have twice as many left in my pocket, that's value right there.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2014, 05:42:19 am »
+1

I found a dagger of speed.  It said attacks with it take half as long, but deal slightly less damage.  Does that mean if I max out my dagger skills I will attack four times as fast? Or do they not stack?

Weapons of speed are generally very good.

What's the clarity mutation do? And why can't I find mutations in the documentation :((

Makes your mind clear, thus protecting you from confusion and few other things, and making you unable to berserk.
(As for documentation, there is a quite a detailed Wiki, if you want spoilers).

Hm.. Should I buy:
The +7, +7 sword "Leuxithru"

or

3 large rocks

Tough call.  I mean I could throw one of those rocks, and then still have twice as many left in my pocket, that's value right there.

Large rocks can only be used be Ogres and Trolls, be aware of that. Also, they have very low chance of being destroyed when thrown. Sword is okish, I guess, if you get it branded later.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2014, 07:10:47 pm »
+1

I'm in Lair!

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2014, 07:51:48 pm »
+1

I'm in Lair!

Cool! Watch out for hydras and death yak packs. Be aware that the last floor (8) usually has a large pack of death yaks and an 'end vault.'
(Vaults are designed maps that are placed into the generated map)

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2014, 07:56:23 pm »
+1

Also, if you are using a edged weapon (swords, axes) hydras are extra hard to kill, as they spawn more heads as you slash them. You can defeat it like in the myth, though.

I am currently forcing KoEn, they are quite strong/fun, but died second time in a row to a Orc Priest. UGH.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:05:36 pm by Grujah »

heron

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2014, 08:04:07 pm »
+1

My DrWz is still going strong; I am currently on D:21 and have cleared the Orcish Mines. Trying to decide whether to keeping pushing deeper or to go for a rune.
My Lair-branches are Shoals, Spider, and obviously Slime, but I have no rPoison, so Spider is probably a bad idea. Shoals is probably safe enough though.

Edit: Hey cool the shoals got an art upgrade.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:15:02 pm by heron »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2014, 09:48:39 pm »
+1

Michel is a centaur bowman so hydras aren't hard.  I am running out of arrows though and starting to have to use maces.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2014, 03:44:59 pm »
+4

I figured out I can play this game in the computer lab.  I just failed college

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2014, 06:11:37 pm »
+2

CeHus are great. I have a great CeHu story, though. So, I am at D:8, and bow is my primary weapon, of course, and unarmed is my secondary. I got some wands, too. And I get into a fight with Maurice (a rogue that blinks, goes invis and steals stuff). And he steals my bow. I do ctrl + F and search the dungeon for other bows - NOT a single other bow spawned. It is quite hard to catch Maurice,  and when I do find him there is a castle structure thing in the middle of level surrounded by a moat with electric eels that just fry me and I he blinks in there when I get a couple of blows in and I lose him again.
I clear the level and use up all my wands in process (only have few shots left in my polymorf wands), try to clear others for bows but it just ain't doable barehanded. I scumm the level for hundreds of turns, staying away from the moat and praying for maurice to show up. Instead, cuz I scummed, game spawns a tengu reaver, which is like CR 20 or so. Yeeeah, now I also have to keep avoding that guy too. So I roam and roam, and finally manage to polymorf Maurice (ironically, in a centaur, that I was searching for to get a bow :D) and I think he lost ability to invis (I might be wrong) so I finally kill him.
After wasting like 40 minutes there I go down and die like a level or two below.
RAGEQUIT.

heron

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2014, 06:51:49 pm »
+1

I just died too, in Vaults. Jory got me (I had never seen him before).
I thought I was invincible after I killed Mennas.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2014, 07:31:59 pm »
+1

Mennas is hard. I encountered him only a few times, won each time, but each time it was close. Jory was never a problem. My worst record is against Rupert, he killed me like 75% I've met him.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2014, 09:32:22 am »
+1

YASD, and a fun one:
Killed by an exploding giant spore... set off by themself.

Thing is there was a ogre zombie just behind the corner, outside of LoS, and I wanted to stab the spore (instead of darting it, for some reason), so I come close, see ogre, panic, attack the spore and die from ogre + spore.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2014, 01:53:25 pm »
+1

What is scumming? And how exactly does the high level spawn punishment deal work?  I read a mention of it in passing somewhere but don't understand it.  I don't think I've encountered any high level monsters on low level floors except for the occasional slightly higher ones that had a random chance to be there when the floor was virgin.

I have returned to lower level floors I thought were clear and found a low level monster or two there.  I am not sure if those are spawning periodically, or if they were wandering the floor in a pattern that made me miss out on seeing them on the first clear.  (You know, the whole, if two people are at a crowded park and are looking for eachother, the maximum amount of time it takes for them to find eachother is infinite, if one of them stays still, it's finite)

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2014, 02:07:14 pm »
+1

They spawn periodically. When you roam a empty level to kill low level creatures that spawn and slowly grind experience, that is scumming. Game doesn't encourage that, so if you do it, after X turns it spawns super out-of-depth monster(s). Do not confuse with save scumming which is backuping your save and than restoring it if you die, that is cheating (so the game says).

BTW, few things that I've put in my init file that ease the gameplay:

easy_eat_chunks        = true
 auto_eat_chunks        = true

First one makes it so that it when you press "e", it auto-eats the oldest chuck, without prompt. Makes it faster.
Second one makes it so that if you sleep or use auto-move (o or shift), and become hungry, it automatically eats (chunks only).

Also this, as I often forget to re-skill at start.
####Auto-open Skill Menu##############################################
# To automatically open the skill menu when starting a new game, add
# the following to your options file.

{
local need_skills_opened = true
function ready()
  if you.turns() == 0 and need_skills_opened then
   need_skills_opened = false
   crawl.sendkeys("m")
  end
end
}

######################################################################
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:10:51 pm by Grujah »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2014, 02:36:51 pm »
+1

If you go to a higher level floor, temporarily then return to scum more, will the game spawn out of depths anyway?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2014, 02:47:55 pm »
+1

ok I looked that up myself, apparently it counts total time spent on the level.

The wiki said that scumming was "cheating" and "against the spirit of the game", but to me it seems like they should design the game to make it unrewarding, but if you can do it then it is worth it.  If every monster kill adds to your score, I bet the highest scorers are Mummies and Liches that scummed D2 and D3 etc until they were totally empty. Probably Lich, that thing doesn't have enough downside.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2014, 03:48:40 pm »
+1

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Cheating

It is not cheating, but "degenerative behavior" that they have a mechanism to stop.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2014, 10:22:37 pm »
+1

Degenerate behavior is supposed to be a subheading of "not cheating", that's why I misread it before.  I wish I could fix that.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2014, 10:23:20 pm »
+1

is the game always laggy when I play it online? I guess I should stick to offline for now since I'm bad anyway but I was wondering about whether playing online is worthwhile

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2014, 10:52:03 pm »
+1

thanks for the autoeat btw

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2014, 11:54:31 pm »
+1

ok guys i need some help/advice. Michel the Centaur hunter has been several floors into Lair, full cleared mine, and a couple floors into shoals.  In the main dungeon I've only been a little bit past Lair.  I'm not sure what to do next.  The only poison resist I've found so far is a Halberd with 1 level of poison resist on it, and I have no skill with axes, just with maces.  So Spiderland seems dangerous and going further into the shoals seems dangerous because this tanky merfolk guy started poisoning me and I had to blink out of that.  There's that slime related place the branches off Lair too I think, I don't know much about it.  Right now I'm leaning towards continuing through the dungeon because the last floor I delved into wasn't that hard, just annoying, had some ugly things.  The main reason I didn't keep going was because I was hungry and ugly things don't have nutrition.  I eat the ugly things meat since in the grand scheme of things I'm only 0/4 objects in so I figure random mutations are worthwhile.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2014, 05:55:15 am »

Yeah, only play offline cuz Webtiles is slow.

Do the Lair. Lair is generally easier than Orc Mines. Also enemy density is lower so less arrows needed :P Beware of Rupert, he sometimes spawns there.

Going down the dungeon is ok too. They do get quite hard fast so, take care with any new enemy that you encounter. Rock Trolls, Mountain Giants, Yakataurs - non are pleasant.

For slime you kneed some kind of corrosion and mutation protection.

Don't eat the ugly thing, not now. Not worth it now, imo. Esp as you can get some very nasty ones.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 47  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.