Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Preview #2: Doctor  (Read 74852 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
Re: Preview #2: Doctor
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2013, 12:19:50 pm »

How do we feel about buying Doctor on turn 2?  Should you overpay?  I just got a 3/4 with the intent of opening Silver/Doctor.  I chose not to overspend, else my new Doctor would miss the reshuffle.
Well you *do* need a signature...

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2013, 07:05:37 pm »
+2

How do we feel about buying Doctor on turn 2?  Should you overpay?  I just got a 3/4 with the intent of opening Silver/Doctor.  I chose not to overspend, else my new Doctor would miss the reshuffle.
You're reshuffling again in one turn, I don't think it's a big deal. I'd be more concerned about hitting your Silver, but if the odds of this are the same as the odds of your Silver missing the reshuffle if you didn't overpay, so it's probably about a wash. Note your odds of $5 on T3 are the same either way. I think overpaying is the move here.

Edit: Forgot you don't have to fear hitting the Silver. Even better: immunizing your Silver from missing the reshuffle is an unalloyed good.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 07:11:02 pm by WheresMyElephant »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2013, 10:32:51 pm »

You're reshuffling again in one turn, I don't think it's a big deal. I'd be more concerned about hitting your Silver, but if the odds of this are the same as the odds of your Silver missing the reshuffle if you didn't overpay, so it's probably about a wash. Note your odds of $5 on T3 are the same either way. I think overpaying is the move here.

Edit: Forgot you don't have to fear hitting the Silver. Even better: immunizing your Silver from missing the reshuffle is an unalloyed good.

Oh, I see. My discard pile only has six cards in it at this point.  Somehow I was thinking that I'd have to cycle through all of my cards again before first seeing my Doctor on turn 5 or later.
Well you *do* need a signature...

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2013, 11:58:49 am »

The more I think about it, the less sure I am. Experience will probably have to be the judge.

I suspect it IS slowing down your trashing a little on the whole. In exchange you quickly get an extra shot at your new Silver, but not really the most impressive odds of hitting $5 (7/18, by my math). And even if the latter is good, are you going to prioritize an early buy over trashing speed? Maybe sometimes, but this preference seems perhaps a little incongruous with opening Doctor in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.