Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Preview #2: Doctor  (Read 75083 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Preview #2: Doctor
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 09:56:09 am »
+4

Goko is gonna have a tough time with whatever implementation they choose...

Hmm, overpay by.. let me just enter this with my numpad...1, click OK.
WHAT?!!? I overpaid by 11!!??!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 09:57:14 am »
+3

I guess we'll need a ruling on cost reducers and overbuying at some stage.
Why? Doctor costs $0 at least.  You still have to spend $1 per trash/discard/putback you want to apply, no matter how many Bridges you spammed before, at least I don't see why that should be the case.  What other things needs a ruling?

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 09:57:34 am »

pay 10$ for it and get all the trash out of the next 7 cards. discard the ones you like to keep.

Overpay by $4 and you will look at the top card, trash it or discard it or put it back, then look at the top card again and make another choice, then a 3rd time, then a 4th time. Get it?

It says that you look at the top card and then choose, and then repeat it per extra coin, so if you hit a card you want to keep, like a Gold, then it won't trash anything. Its a little disappointing, but still a good card.
no i ment you discard what you want to keep so you can look at the next card. i mean if i overpayed by 7$ and the first card i look at is gold. i would rather discard it and look at the next than wasting my 7$

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 09:57:48 am »

image please (for the blocked users)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 09:58:50 am »
+2

This again looks like a high skill card. You can start to do some clever stuff if you have good awareness of your draw deck.

Seems rather evident.  Cost reducers lower the cost, but never below $0.  Overpaying is about spending more than the cost.  Overpaying is not increasing the cost.  I believe the small + is just as a visual reminder that this card has an overpaying mechanic.
Well you *do* need a signature...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 10:02:35 am »

And when you do overpay by 11 and your top card turns out to be Platinum, will Goko make me put it back 11 times?  Of course, it may be worth discarding that Plat in hopes of making better use of the remaining 10 inspections.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 10:04:38 am »

Normally you don't have a gazillion options, so it could be shown in a popup. Say you have $12 and 2 buys. You press the Doctor to buy it. "Amount to pay for it: 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12". Click one of the numbers. Something like that I would imagine.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 10:06:18 am »
+1

Normally you don't have a gazillion options, so it could be shown in a popup. Say you have $12 and 2 buys. You press the Doctor to buy it. "Amount to pay for it: 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12". Click one of the numbers. Something like that I would imagine.

Ugh, no!  Don't even suggest a shortcut like that.  I'm feeling ill.

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 10:08:10 am »
+2

i rather think you have to click a button for every +1 you want to overpay and click [done] if you are done

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 10:11:54 am »

I also forsee Doctor being incredible in Dark Ages games when your deck is full of Ruinses and Curses.  And if you hit any Ratses or Cultistses... you can increase your handsize during your buy phase?  I wonder if there's any reason why you'd want to do that... shuffle quicker?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 10:13:29 am »

Also, Donald again.

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 10:15:23 am »
+1

question: if i overpay for it and then reveal a trader. do i get the effect? because it is on buy. i am not sure i would say yes.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 10:16:28 am »

Great for trashing curses, not great for trashing ruins--unless you somehow know which one you have coming up in your deck.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 10:17:45 am »
+5

I also forsee Doctor being incredible in Dark Ages games when your deck is full of Ruinses and Curses.  And if you hit any Ratses or Cultistses... you can increase your handsize during your buy phase?  I wonder if there's any reason why you'd want to do that... shuffle quicker?

Play ten Goons.  Develop a $4 card into a Watchtower and Cultist, topdecking the Watchtower first.  Buy a Doctor, overpaying by $1 to trash the Cultist, thereby drawing your Watchtower into hand.  Now buy up all the stuffs with Watchtower in hand to trash the Coppers/Curses/Ruins.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2013, 10:18:28 am »
+2

question: if i overpay for it and then reveal a trader. do i get the effect? because it is on buy. i am not sure i would say yes.

Yes.  You still bought it and overpaid for it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 10:19:36 am »

Great for trashing curses, not great for trashing ruins--unless you somehow know which one you have coming up in your deck.

Great for trashing Ruins on the overpay.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

first

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 10:20:36 am »

you can increase your handsize during your buy phase?  I wonder if there's any reason why you'd want to do that... shuffle quicker?
1. Reveal Rats and trash it
2. Discard Market Square to gain a Gold
3. Draw Market Square
4. Repeat

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2013, 10:23:47 am »

This could potentially be a really nice counter to top-of-the-deck attacks. Sea Hag is substantially less brutal since you can trash that Curse. Rabble risks becoming helpful to your opponent because it nicely puts those Estates on the top of the deck where the Doctor can find them.

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 10:24:57 am »
+1

play a village, buy the doctor in the black market for $10, trash some fortress and cultist !

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 10:30:53 am »

I can see the utility of the overpay effect. I predict it'll be especially nice when you get a very front-loaded shuffle early-mid-game. All your good stuff is in your first hand and your next few hands will be crap. Buy a Doctor for $8 and trash a bunch of those cards while simultaneously hastening your next shuffle.

The on-play effect looks fantastically weak to me. If you know what's on your deck, maybe it's OK. But even then it's a terminal Action that does nothing for your current hand (barring on-trash effects). Hermit seems worlds better in terms of trashing non-Copper junk.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 10:31:00 am »

I'm interested in the timing, given the "when you buy this" wording.  I can see that you need to overpay all at once, but it seems that overpaying is triggered by buying, so can you resolve other "when buy" effects first?  For instance, if I have Haggler in play, may I gain a cheaper card before choosing how much to overpay?  Potentially, I will choose to gain a Squire off Haggler, trash it to Watchtower for a Knight, and then I would make my decision regarding overpayment based on whether I want to buy the next Knight.  Alternatively, I would trash Squire into Cultist into drawing 3 cards, and make my overpayment decision based on which cards were drawn.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 10:33:24 am »
+1

I'm interested in the timing, given the "when you buy this" wording.  I can see that you need to overpay all at once, but it seems that overpaying is triggered by buying, so can you resolve other "when buy" effects first?  For instance, if I have Haggler in play, may I gain a cheaper card before choosing how much to overpay?  Potentially, I will choose to gain a Squire off Haggler, trash it to Watchtower for a Knight, and then I would make my decision regarding overpayment based on whether I want to buy the next Knight.  Alternatively, I would trash Squire into Cultist into drawing 3 cards, and make my overpayment decision based on which cards were drawn.

Good question. I just asked it over at BGG.

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 10:35:49 am »
+2

This could potentially be a really nice counter to top-of-the-deck attacks. Sea Hag is substantially less brutal since you can trash that Curse. Rabble risks becoming helpful to your opponent because it nicely puts those Estates on the top of the deck where the Doctor can find them.
Not only this but (at the risk of stating the obvious) you don't even need to own a Doctor yet, or have it in hand, to do these things. Much stronger than Lookout this way.

It reminds me of Noble Brigand, being able to react to your opponent's moves as quickly as this. I guess it wouldn't be Dominion if there were too much of this, but it will be fun having a little more.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2013, 10:42:07 am »

I can see the utility of the overpay effect. I predict it'll be especially nice when you get a very front-loaded shuffle early-mid-game. All your good stuff is in your first hand and your next few hands will be crap. Buy a Doctor for $8 and trash a bunch of those cards while simultaneously hastening your next shuffle.

The on-play effect looks fantastically weak to me. If you know what's on your deck, maybe it's OK. But even then it's a terminal Action that does nothing for your current hand (barring on-trash effects). Hermit seems worlds better in terms of trashing non-Copper junk.

The on-play won't be good for trashing non-Copper cards, but that's not the point -- I think Doctor will be strongest at the start of the game, mostly for trashing Copper. It's much more comparable to something like Spice Merchant than Hermit.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2013, 10:43:33 am »
+1

The on-play won't be good for trashing non-Copper cards, but that's not the point -- I think Doctor will be strongest at the start of the game, mostly for trashing Copper. It's much more comparable to something like Spice Merchant than Hermit.

Fair enough, but it's also much, much worse than Spice Merchant for trashing Copper.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.