Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Embassy in Hinterlands is an exception?  (Read 2644 times)

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
Embassy in Hinterlands is an exception?
« on: October 18, 2011, 06:21:05 pm »

When the Hinterlands card Embassy is gained "each other player gains a Silver".

Suppose there are not enough Silvers left for all the other players. There is a general rule about doing it in turn order. In the Hinterland rules it's formulated like

When two things happen to different players at the same time, they happen in turn order, starting with the player whose turn it is.

Suppose a game with four players, A, B, C, and D. It's A's turn, and B is gaining an Embassy. (It could for instance be because of A playing an Ambassador.) Now A, C and D should gain Silver, and according to that general rule as I read it the order should be ACD.

But, the text in the rules continues with an example that goes against this:

For example, when a player gains Embassy, first the player to that player's left gains Silver, then the next player, etc.
that is the order should be CDA, and the FAQ text about Embassy repeats this.

Why? Is this really intentional? It's an exception that wouldn't come up very often at all.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:25:40 pm by pst »

pst

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Embassy in Hinterlands is an exception?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 06:27:19 pm »

I've compared with the German rulesl. This example is not given of that rule there, but it's mentioned in the FAQ text about Embassy there as well.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 06:27:42 pm »

This has been discussed on BGG in regards to Ambassadoring IGGs and then who gets Curses first? Donald said that in this case the active player would get the Curse first, as per the rules. The FAQ is wrong in that when it was written, he didn't consider the option that somone other than the active player could be the player gaining the IGG. In general, the player to the left of the player gaining the IGG will gain a curse first, but this is an exception that was missed when writing the FAQ.

Edit: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7673565#7673565
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:30:53 pm by Thisisnotasmile »

pst

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 06:42:08 pm »

Ah, I had actually seen that BGG discussion, but didn't think twice about it, since "obviously" it would work as Donald wrote then, but now I see that that case indeed also is a problem since the rules contain the erroneous ruling.

It surprises me a bit if Donald doesn't want to stick to the rules as printed now, since I read him earlier saying something like that he didn't want errata so that there are different rules for people "in the know" and people who just buy the game and play with the rules as printed, never looking it up on the net.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25711
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 07:41:07 pm »

It surprises me a bit if Donald doesn't want to stick to the rules as printed now, since I read him earlier saying something like that he didn't want errata so that there are different rules for people "in the know" and people who just buy the game and play with the rules as printed, never looking it up on the net.
I am sticking with the rules as printed, that is what I am doing. The Hinterlands rulebook has the timing rule and that's what I'm going by.

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 05:54:06 pm »

Indeed, it's right there in the rules.
When two things happen to different players at the same time, they happen in turn order, starting with the player whose turn it is.
However, this does slightly contradict the rules in Embassy, which is a little bit of a shame.
If there are not enough Silvers left to go round deal them out in turn order starting with the player to the left of the player who gained Embassy
But still, I mean, who really gives a shit? I'm sure we'll manage just fine.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 05:56:40 pm by Octo »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.546 seconds with 21 queries.