Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Turn 1 Noble Brigand  (Read 2749 times)

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
Turn 1 Noble Brigand
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:57:41 pm »

I had a game a few days ago where I bought a Silver, only to have my opponent steal it on their first turn by buying a Noble Brigand. I thought that was ridiculous, but thinking about it I realised it was actually a 1/3 chance - there were six cards in my discard pile and two of them get revealed - which is really not ridiculously good luck.

I presume this is a thing...
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: Turn 1 Noble Brigand
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:19:06 pm »

Noble Brigand-BM is very good. It loses out to other very fast BM strategies (think Jack or Wharf) but absolutely smashes through other ones. As with a lot of counters, Noble Brigand added into the strategy it counters beats both.

I don't remember how many Brigands you want, but I know you want to open with it and you want at least 3 or 4.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:42:32 pm »
+1

Three player noble brigand games with witch and no useful 3 coin cards .... lets just not talk about them.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:13:51 pm »

Noble Brigand-BM is very good. It loses out to other very fast BM strategies (think Jack or Wharf) but absolutely smashes through other ones. As with a lot of counters, Noble Brigand added into the strategy it counters beats both.

NB is a good counter to big money, if you spam it - my track record using it is pretty poor tho.  Just wanted to point out that it's not so good when your opponent(s) can avoid gold and silver, obviously.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 02:09:30 am »

if your opponent opens with silver and the board will be BM, it can definitely be good. note that it likely also delays the first play of the opponent's other opening buy by a turn.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 02:09:12 pm »
+7

With Baker being released, now I can open NB to steal the opponent's Gold!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:39:11 pm »

With Baker being released, now I can open double NB to steal the opponent's Gold!
Fixed!

EDIT: Sorry, I'm apparently slightly necroing threads. Well, that's what you get for being away for a week and then reading all the unread posts without checking the dates.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:40:35 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

rbruba

• Swindler
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 05:45:03 pm »

I'm not sure how this even happened... NB looks at the top two cards of your deck, not your discard pile. So how on his first turn was the silver already back on top of your deck?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 05:50:42 pm »
+1

I'm not sure how this even happened... NB looks at the top two cards of your deck, not your discard pile. So how on his first turn was the silver already back on top of your deck?
At the end of his turn, he drew the remaining 5 cards. Then there are no cards in his deck, and 6 in the discard pile. NB then calls for the top two cards of the deck, and since the deck is empty, the discard gets reshuffled and put back on the deck.

rbruba

• Swindler
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 05:52:56 pm »

At the end of his turn, he drew the remaining 5 cards. Then there are no cards in his deck, and 6 in the discard pile. NB then calls for the top two cards of the deck, and since the deck is empty, the discard gets reshuffled and put back on the deck.

Thanks, was not thinking about it that hard apparently!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.