Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXVI: Back to Basics (Day 3)  (Read 97229 times)

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXVI: Back to Basics (signups closed--in preparation)
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2013, 11:13:43 am »

I'm now accepting applications for backup players.

Game will start on Monday
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:59:50 pm by shraeye »

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXVI: Back to Basics (Day 1 start)
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2013, 01:33:48 pm »

All these games, all this flavor, all these roles.  It's time to get a taste of the simple life again, welcome to
Back2Basics Mafia!

The players are
1. chairs
2. liopoil
3. mail-mi
4. mcmcsalot
5. nkirbit
6. Robz888
7. spiritbears
8. Voltaire
9. yuma

Since this game is just starting, here is your first votecount:

Vote Count 1.1

Not voting: chairs, liopoil, mail-mi, mcmcsalot, nkirbit, Robz888, spiritbears, Voltaire, yuma

With 9 players alive, it takes 5 to lynch
Deadline is 1:30pm forum time on Monday, July 1st

Whoa, look at all that information.  Now I know who's playing, who's voting for whom (grammar!), how many of my mates I need to organize to get those dumbfaces lynched, AND when the deadline is.  I wonder what happens if the deadline is reached before I get four people to agree with me?  Oh wait, I remember, because I read the first two posts of this thread.

That means I also remember things like how to vote for people, how to avoid having the thread locked because I was being mean to people, and how to ignore post-counts.  Oh, that last one isn't on there?  Well, it should be.

DAY 1 START

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2013, 01:35:47 pm »

Firsties! Also, vote: chairs cuz hes a newbie.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2013, 01:44:52 pm »

Why, I never!  I was going to suggest a no-lynch day 1, but if you're going to be like that, I Vote: mail-mi.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2013, 02:15:35 pm »

Why, I never!  I was going to suggest a no-lynch day 1, but if you're going to be like that, I Vote: mail-mi.
OMGUS! I use my double vote power to vote: chairs a second time!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2013, 02:35:06 pm »

CONSPIRACY!  Clearly a Mafia tactic.  You out yourself too early, I am sure that we fine townsfolk will prevail.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2013, 02:39:20 pm »

Vote: chairs!

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2013, 03:16:37 pm »

Hi guys!

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2013, 03:24:38 pm »

Hello everyone!

chairs, were you really going to suggest a no lynch day 1?

shraeye thinks we should ignore post counts. I propose we follow NLLL (never lynch lurkers literally)  ;)

oh hey, an open setup, let's have some theory talk!

there are 6 possible setups, some favor town (cop+doc or cop+JK for instance) more than others (like VT+doc). scum also have the potential to fakeclaim. I am not going to trust claimants in general, but of course, it will depend on the situation. Most importantly:

I believe that in this setup a massclaim is almost NEVER a good idea. All 3 potential PRs have situations where they should claim though, but we'll get to those situations as they arise. For D1, nobody should ever claim anything unless they are L-1 with an intent to hammer.

I can not think of any situations where a VT should claim anything at all or a PR should claim anything but what they actually are.

Most of that theory stuff is basic, but hey, why not say it again. this is, however, hopefully the first and last time I talk about theory today. In previous games, I've gotten too caught up in theory talk and didn't do enough scumhunting. I dislike D1 because there is so little of any material at all, so that's part of why I don't scumhunt as much. I have also somehow generally been in the top few posters at all times during games. I'm not sure why that is, we'll see if it continues. I think I've been accused of trying to inflate my postcount before by posting multiple things that could have just been one post. Well, that isn't true, but I can see how that could clutter the thread. So my plan:

less theory talk, more scumhunting. Try to find something to grasp onto even on D1. More efficient posting. (like this post!)

So, to start off: mail-mi, are you scum? What about you Nkirbit? (I didn't ask chairs because it's already clear that he's scum.)

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2013, 03:53:57 pm »

Hello everyone!

chairs, were you really going to suggest a no lynch day 1?

shraeye thinks we should ignore post counts. I propose we follow NLLL (never lynch lurkers literally)  ;)

oh hey, an open setup, let's have some theory talk!

there are 6 possible setups, some favor town (cop+doc or cop+JK for instance) more than others (like VT+doc). scum also have the potential to fakeclaim. I am not going to trust claimants in general, but of course, it will depend on the situation. Most importantly:

I believe that in this setup a massclaim is almost NEVER a good idea. All 3 potential PRs have situations where they should claim though, but we'll get to those situations as they arise. For D1, nobody should ever claim anything unless they are L-1 with an intent to hammer.

I can not think of any situations where a VT should claim anything at all or a PR should claim anything but what they actually are.

Most of that theory stuff is basic, but hey, why not say it again. this is, however, hopefully the first and last time I talk about theory today. In previous games, I've gotten too caught up in theory talk and didn't do enough scumhunting. I dislike D1 because there is so little of any material at all, so that's part of why I don't scumhunt as much. I have also somehow generally been in the top few posters at all times during games. I'm not sure why that is, we'll see if it continues. I think I've been accused of trying to inflate my postcount before by posting multiple things that could have just been one post. Well, that isn't true, but I can see how that could clutter the thread. So my plan:

less theory talk, more scumhunting. Try to find something to grasp onto even on D1. More efficient posting. (like this post!)

So, to start off: mail-mi, are you scum? What about you Nkirbit? (I didn't ask chairs because it's already clear that he's scum.)

I thought I'd played Mafia before... apparently not.  You're treating my D-1 no-lynch like it's insane, but it's pretty common practice among the folks I normally play with (unless we smell a rat) to no-lynch.  Is it (game theory wise) terrible?  I haven't really read up on the game theory of Mafia.

VT = vanilla townie?

And I guess PR = power role?

I have no idea what L-1 is.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2013, 03:57:04 pm »

Lynch minus one.  So today, four votes is L-1

Lio, I am town. Are you?

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2013, 04:12:20 pm »

I thought I'd played Mafia before... apparently not.  You're treating my D-1 no-lynch like it's insane, but it's pretty common practice among the folks I normally play with (unless we smell a rat) to no-lynch.  Is it (game theory wise) terrible?  I haven't really read up on the game theory of Mafia.

VT = vanilla townie?

VT is vanilla townie yes, and PR is power role. L-1 means that a person need 1 more voter to lynch. So currently, that means that if a player has 4 votes on him, they are at L-1.

A D1 no lynch in this setup is indeed pretty insane. Right now, we can "afford" to incorrectly lynch 2 townies. If we no lynch, then after somebody dies, we can only afford to mislynch 1. I assume that the rationale behind no lynching D1 was because there was nothing to go off of. This is true, but after a no lynch, there is still just as little info.

In general: no lynch with an odd number of people alive is a bad idea. no lynch with an even number is sometimes a good idea.

nullread on chairs for being new to forum mafia. I guess mail-mi's posts come of a tiny bit scummy because they're jokey and all anti-chairs, but really, not much.

PPE: nkirbit claims town, interesting! (not really) He also asks me if I'm town. I'm a bit offended by this question as I thought it would be obvious by now, and so I refuse the answer it. you're just going to have to figure it out for yourself!

Oh also, chairs, are you aligned with us townspeople? (maybe if I change the question slightly I'll catch someone)

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2013, 04:14:19 pm »

Lynch minus one.  So today, four votes is L-1

Lio, I am town. Are you?

Thanks for the clarification :)

I'm still afraid my relative shobon status to what's apparently a pretty developed theory of Mafia has me throwing massive (and inaccurate) tells :(

VT = vanilla townie?

VT is vanilla townie yes, and PR is power role. L-1 means that a person need 1 more voter to lynch. So currently, that means that if a player has 4 votes on him, they are at L-1.

A D1 no lynch in this setup is indeed pretty insane. Right now, we can "afford" to incorrectly lynch 2 townies. If we no lynch, then after somebody dies, we can only afford to mislynch 1. I assume that the rationale behind no lynching D1 was because there was nothing to go off of. This is true, but after a no lynch, there is still just as little info.

In general: no lynch with an odd number of people alive is a bad idea. no lynch with an even number is sometimes a good idea.

nullread on chairs for being new to forum mafia. I guess mail-mi's posts come of a tiny bit scummy because they're jokey and all anti-chairs, but really, not much.

PPE: nkirbit claims town, interesting! (not really) He also asks me if I'm town. I'm a bit offended by this question as I thought it would be obvious by now, and so I refuse the answer it. you're just going to have to figure it out for yourself!

Oh also, chairs, are you aligned with us townspeople? (maybe if I change the question slightly I'll catch someone)

I'm as Town as it gets.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2013, 04:19:31 pm »

there's hardly any scumhunting theory I think, so you'll do fine in that aspect.

Vote: Mcmcsalot for lurking and always being scum.

And by lurking I mean being 1 of 4 people who haven't posted yet.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2013, 04:35:19 pm »

A little shocked by the no-lunch suggestion from chairs, but maybe it's just his newness? And Lio...theory already??? You're going to give me a headache! 
And where are the two brothers?!  Lurking again?
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2013, 04:37:01 pm »

Oh and Nk---still glowing on that perfect blitz!
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2013, 04:37:30 pm »

A little shocked by the no-lunch suggestion from chairs, but maybe it's just his newness? And Lio...theory already??? You're going to give me a headache! 

Based on the wonderful explanation from liopoil, I retract my no-lynch suggestion (and never suggested we should skip lunch), but continue to (perhaps a bit vainfully) vote mail-mi.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2013, 04:39:09 pm »

Im scum town I swear!

Me too, that's just lio, jumping straight into theory; and since this started about three hours ago, I'm not gonna jump on someone for lurking.

That said, vote: chairs

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2013, 04:39:51 pm »

Based on the wonderful explanation from liopoil, I retract my no-lynch suggestion (and never suggested we should skip lunch), but continue to (perhaps a bit vainfully) vote mail-mi.
Eh it's RVS, votes don't matter.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2013, 04:40:00 pm »

Lol...
(You might want to get that vote in bold then)
Mai might not be a bad choice given his MuLTIPLEs votez....

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2013, 04:55:09 pm »

Eh it's RVS, votes don't matter.

What's RVS?

Lol...
(You might want to get that vote in bold then)
Mai might not be a bad choice given his MuLTIPLEs votez....

(I already put it in bold in my first response to him voting me)

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2013, 04:56:56 pm »

Scrap the RVS clarification, I found the "commonly used abbreviation" list.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2013, 05:11:39 pm »

What? I don't get to answer your question? This is madness! (Finish the quote)

vote: chairs

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2013, 05:36:24 pm »

What? I don't get to answer your question? This is madness! (Finish the quote)

vote: chairs

Madness?! THIS. IS. KC/KC/MONUMENT/MONUMENT/MONUMENT!

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2013, 05:40:09 pm »

I believe you mean bridge?

what's wrong with theory talk? :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.