Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 40  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXVI: Back to Basics (Day 3)  (Read 98385 times)

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
Re: Mafia XXVI: Back to Basics (Day 1 start)
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2013, 12:51:38 pm »

I don't think it necessarily has to be, sb.  I don't subscribe to the school of thought that preemptively defending yourself = scum.  I think both scum and town could do something like that.
Yes I agree. I have a null read on lio, but I don't know him as well as robz and mc.  That both of them saw something in him makes me think they might be onto something.  It's worth watching I think
Robz--i really have a hard time reading him. We nearly lynched him in the other game and he wss an IC! 
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2013, 12:55:05 pm »

I don't think it necessarily has to be, sb.  I don't subscribe to the school of thought that preemptively defending yourself = scum.  I think both scum and town could do something like that.
Yes I agree. I have a null read on lio, but I don't know him as well as robz and mc.  That both of them saw something in him makes me think they might be onto something.  It's worth watching I think
Robz--i really have a hard time reading him. We nearly lynched him in the other game and he wss an IC!

Yeah, but robz was acting scummy that game, and deliberately so.  That wasn't a mistake on our part to find him scummy

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2013, 12:56:17 pm »

Okay, I'm here, going to vote:yuma. As I was reading everything at once a few things struck me.

Town:
Robz - Number one thing I look for when I am looking for town!robz is his do something and wait for people to jump on it in a way that is advantageous for scum(and thus the player is more likely to be scum)

Spiritbears - So going to be screwed once this guy is scum, hes gotten good enough at this game that his usual content is really townie but I think could be faked. But for now the town read stands.

Slight Town:
Chairs - He has handled himself very well in the beginning, something I think is difficult for first timers as mafia(I now it was for me) so to clarify what I was looking for was a "what should I be doing" attitude and I think he was coming up with ideas and original content posts(not just commenting on others thoughts). The reason he is not town is this little piece here
I'm still afraid my relative shobon status to what's apparently a pretty developed theory of Mafia has me throwing massive (and inaccurate) tells :(
Being worried about people thinking your scum and feeling the need to vocalize that is a typically scum trait. Now I think recently town has shot itself in the foot using these type of posts as bulletproof ways to "catch" scum and allow actually scum to push things hard without repercussions. We gotta get back to noting its something that has been done and noting it helps develop a scum!chairs narrative, but it doesn't mean he's auto scum.

Null:
nrkbit - has one post so far.
voltaire - has 4 posts, mainly rvs.

Slight Scum:
liopoil - As well as being jokey and smiley he has also been driving conversations and posting a fair bit of original content. The reason he is a slight scum read instead of town is that his first post was far to "aware" to give him town status at this point.
In previous games, I've gotten too caught up in theory talk and didn't do enough scumhunting. I dislike D1 because there is so little of any material at all, so that's part of why I don't scumhunt as much. I have also somehow generally been in the top few posters at all times during games. I'm not sure why that is, we'll see if it continues. I think I've been accused of trying to inflate my postcount before by posting multiple things that could have just been one post.
This post is completely covering his tracks and saying hey you shouldn't find me scummy for X Y and Z.

Scum:
Mail-mi - I think anti town players are a good place to look for scum, mail has done nothing but extend rvs as well as inflate his post count(which should be zero based on content) he even went as far as to quote an interaction between other players and say it doesn't matter its rvs.

Yuma - Remember how I said town!robz tries to see who will jump on his vote in a scummy way. Let me show the way I usually cast votes as scum and try to help explain what I mean by a scummy vote. As scum I look for 4 things before I vote; 1) has the player done something that could be construed as scummy without need for concrete facts; 2) Am I the only one, or one of a select few who has pointed this out; 3) Can I get enough people to vote with me for a lynch; 4) Is this going to look bad on my when that player flips town. Now lets apply that to yuma and liopoil, he is suspected for having too jokey of posts(not concrete), robz pointed this out but noone else so yuma gets to be early on the wagon in a safe position, I have a history of finding liopoil scummy, yuma and robz are vets thus their opinions are valued, i think it would be easy to get 2 people after a robz/yuma/mcmc wagon, finally it's D1/robz started the wagon/those 2 that hop on the end of wagon will come under the most suspicion/ yuma will not look bad at all after the flip.

Fixed formatting
OK, I love these posts. Typically because they're great for finding scumpairs, which means it's way too early to be useful right now, but I like that we have this from mcmc. Chairs, nkirbit, & mail-mi would be his scumpartners (well, and me, I guess) based on how I read these sorts of posts when I'm looking for scum.

But I have a null read on mcmc so far. Honestly, I have a null read on pretty much everyone so far. Robz is scumhunting well, though. I don't trust his reads very much though as they've been wrong in the previous games I've played with him (but that was a long time ago, so maybe one of us has changed?).

I doubt yuma would be as obvious as he was. That said, I want to see more from him. Mcmc, though...I want to see a lot!

I wonder...vote:yuma.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2013, 01:01:38 pm »

Wait, you don't think Yuma is acting scummy, but you vote for him anyway???
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2013, 01:03:32 pm »

I wonder!

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2013, 01:08:59 pm »

I wonder!
I'm wondering about your wondering

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2013, 01:11:13 pm »

I wonder!
I'm wondering about your wondering
Basically, I like to cause a huge stink on D1. It usually paints me super-scummy, but the positions everyone takes, in my mind, generates a ton of info for town and it's a big net positive.

Also my overall philosophy is that those who appear the most town on D1 are scum, and that those who appear town aren't actually town until D2 or D3.

And I don't have enough to go on right now for anything. So I just want a wagon to start, any wagon! Let's lynch everybody!

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2013, 01:16:38 pm »

Seems like you are trying to cover your tracks..
vote:volt

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2013, 01:19:18 pm »

It is a little odd that Lio had to announce that he was going to scum hunt more this game as opposed to just, you know, doing it.  I'm not sure that's necessarily scummy though.. Trying different things in different games can be a good idea, and making it clear that's what you're going to do is not a bad idea.  So maybe it's not that odd
I didn't HAVE to announce it, but why not?

speaking of scumhunting....

mcmc's post is a bit weird to me. That was his first post of the game, and in it he gives a read on every single player? I'm not sure, just felt off.

voltaire has been doing a bit of the same thing as me with the silly stuff, voting for everyone, etc. I'm not sure what to make of the Yuma vote, I think it's just trying to get something going as it's tough to find stuff to work with, so probably null on that.

spiritbears is the same as ever.

nkirbit hasn't said a whole lot, but what he has said I agree with

townread on Robz888 because unseriousness being scummy is something he has definitely always supported and also more importantly his posts sound like disinterested town robz who's all like, "I'm town again, game just started, I have nothing to say, except oh wait liopoil is scummy so I'll say that!"

Yuma has exactly one post, in which he "totally agrees" with robz and votes me. I'm not sure what I think of that yet...

Mail-mi votes for chairs in most of his posts, and in the others doesn't say anything worth anything. I guess that makes me lean town... because that's weird play as scum, scum needs to try to say SOMETHING about the game...

Null on chairs. Chairs, could you put in an isotropic or goko username so that I can find your posts by ctrl-F "username: chairs"

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2013, 01:34:05 pm »

Unvote

Yumas on his off week so he won't be around much. Nor will I today, its TFT.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2013, 01:35:33 pm »

actually, I think he's on his ON week.

we have 15 day deadlines, which is a ton of time.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2013, 01:35:55 pm »

Yuma has exactly one post, in which he "totally agrees" with robz and votes me. I'm not sure what I think of that yet...
Yuma is definitely hanging back on purpose. To what end, will be interesting to see.

So people aren't liking mcmc's post either?

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2013, 01:38:21 pm »

no, he's V/LA (well, at work). If he were hanging back on purpose, I would totally insta-vote him.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2013, 01:39:43 pm »

Yuma is definitely hanging back on purpose. To what end, will be interesting to see.

Eh, it's got some good stuff. Makes me think this is town mcmc because he usually does stuff like this.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2013, 01:41:10 pm »

I'm actually concerned that people are forming reads a little too quickly (including on me). The thing is, I've found that once I've like publicly said "I think X is town" it takes more for me ot change that impression. And you know, pretty much everything we are basing reads on so far is very likely bogus. Hopefully not, but probably.

I think lio is a bit scummier than the rest. That's all so far.

Pleae share reads, but just be careful about going, Oh, yep, Robz, obvtown after like 5 posts," and then never ecosnidering it. There isn't enough data yet to make those kinds of assumptions!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2013, 01:42:34 pm »

definitely agree with that. Most of the value of making reads this early is so that scum have to make reads too.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2013, 01:43:59 pm »

I'm actually concerned that people are forming reads a little too quickly (including on me). The thing is, I've found that once I've like publicly said "I think X is town" it takes more for me ot change that impression. And you know, pretty much everything we are basing reads on so far is very likely bogus. Hopefully not, but probably.

Pleae share reads, but just be careful about going, Oh, yep, Robz, obvtown after like 5 posts," and then never ecosnidering it. There isn't enough data yet to make those kinds of assumptions!
Yes!

Honestly, I have a null read on pretty much everyone so far.

But maybe town has caught scum already, and you're trying to shake us off! Yep, it's more jokey posts. I got nothing. unvote.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2013, 01:48:39 pm »

****ing quotes.

Yes!

But maybe town has caught scum already, and you're trying to shake us off! Yep, it's more jokey posts. I got nothing. unvote.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2013, 01:50:35 pm »

I disagree with some of his conclusions, but still think its a good post

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2013, 01:54:22 pm »

I disagree with some of his conclusions, but still think its a good post
Which conclusions?

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2013, 02:06:35 pm »

Mc's post reads town to me (as I said)...I think it's a good post because it makes a lot of calls people have to react to.  So you get both his reads down...and all the reaction to it.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2013, 02:13:56 pm »

OH, I get what mcmc is saying now. Mcmc is analyzing what yuma did from the perpsective of whether mcmc would do that as scum.

Yeah. Not buying the case at all, though. I think mcmc's scum voting explanation maybe makes sense when scum is deciding about a serious vote, but these early votes, even when informed by real evidence, are pretty unaccountable. So it's not like scum has to worry too much about making the wrong vote here. I don't see it as very opportunistic.

I have a huge issue with this town thinking it's "too early" to think scum would be being carefull, its "too early" to form reads. Scum is AWLAYS thinking about what to do when.

Baisically robz do you think the vote and position yuma put himself in benefits town!yuma or scum!yuma, I think it benefits scum!yuma there for he is more likely to be scum. Town!yuma I thin would explain more and come up with a stronger reasoning for his vote(yes even this early...) whereas lazy piggyback vote on an early wagon based on not concrete data looks like an awesome place for scum to be.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2013, 02:16:24 pm »

Seems like you are trying to cover your tracks..
vote:volt

I agree this is our third don't mind me looking scummy post. again not enough to make a case out of but something that can be remembered and worked into future cases for or against the player.
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2013, 02:18:47 pm »

I think people should post and form reads early and often, they should and will change, and I want that documented. Since when do we want people to only state their final set reads. I want to see a players reads develop so that when we get some flips we can figure out if anyone has been acting odd toward another player(like reads that change without reason) We just have to make sure players are not crucified for changing reads as long as they state reasons that can be analyzed.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2013, 02:21:32 pm »

****ing quotes.

Yes!

I would so editing others quotes is allowed...it honestly took me a good 5 minutes to figure out what you did and I was the one who posted, I have cut pieces of quotes out to point out what I want to quote but full on quote editing is I thought not allowed. You can completely confuse people.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 40  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 19 queries.