Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Author Topic: Preview #1: Baker  (Read 94845 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Preview #1: Baker
« Reply #175 on: June 04, 2013, 08:36:44 am »

Btw, there are no slogs on Rebuild boards.

Well, Rebuild + Curser/Looter will get you there. I found Rebuild pretty good in slogs, because it gets you to Duchies and Provinces even without producing good money. With Sea Hag its pretty good, for instance, with Rebuild being non-terminal.

I wouldn't call that a slog

Also I think Baker is quite a weak KC target in relation to must other cards.

Considering the goal of a KC deck is full deck draw, you're probably right. Baker shines in decks that can't draw all their cards. KC engines need not apply.

I don't think that's necessarily true. KC-Bridge and KC-Monument, for example, don't need to draw the whole deck.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 04, 2013, 08:45:48 am »
+3

I expect "baker" over "breadmaker".  The woman's face looks horizontally stretched or vertically compressed, but the white banner and the bread and everything look OK, so I'm not sure if the image is stretched after all.

Gotta give credit where credit is due, go give this man an upvote.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 04, 2013, 11:15:47 am »

You know, I think Baker may be a good opener with say, Chapel, where you totally expect to find yourself not buying anything for a couple of turns. It doesn't get in the way of your trashing, and helps save up for some good purchases once you have an economy going.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 04, 2013, 11:20:29 am »
+2

You know, I think Baker may be a good opener with say, Chapel, where you totally expect to find yourself not buying anything for a couple of turns. It doesn't get in the way of your trashing, and helps save up for some good purchases once you have an economy going.

I think this may have been mentioned previously, but I feel like Ambassador is an even better example than Chapel, since many early turns are spent tossing Coppers and Estates back and forth with relatively little economic growth.  Baker would let you save up for a Gold without filling up on Silvers which block your Ambassador.
Well you *do* need a signature...

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2013, 11:25:27 am »

Similarly, in a bishop golden deck you may keep your money from baker until the last turn (so in a hand of Gold - silver - silver - province - bishop, play bishop and trash gold, then play 3 money tokens)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2013, 01:15:47 pm »

I think double Tactician could work excellent with coin tokens for money!

Agree that Tactician would work well with Baker in general. Thought the coin tokens mechanism itself does not specifically help Double Tactician deck more than other normal coin-giving action.

I would say coin tokens actually help a single Tactician deck more than a double Tactician deck, in a sense that you could save some token to use in the turn you play Tactician.

I think you'd rather wanna save the coins you get on the turn you play Tactician.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #181 on: June 04, 2013, 01:46:32 pm »
+1

Oh, also, coin tokens provide a defense to pins.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 04, 2013, 02:16:44 pm »

Oh, also, coin tokens provide a defense to pins.

To which pin? Even if you buy something with your coins, its going to get trashed later (unless you buy Moat to protect from the discard and then also buy a discard attack yourself, or something like that).

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 04, 2013, 02:19:08 pm »

I guess at some time, the pin player has to start buying VP, and then he won't be able to trash your cards any longer. And then, you can buy VP on you own with your coins.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 04, 2013, 02:19:08 pm »

I just noticed coin tokens might also be quuite useful for a reliable quick province with tournament on the board.

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 04, 2013, 02:20:13 pm »

Sure, they can help, especially when there are cheaper coin generating cards as well.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #186 on: June 04, 2013, 02:20:58 pm »

If you have enough coin tokens to buy out enough piles, you're at least potentially fine. And probably you don't need ALL that much money to do so?

Moreoever, they're going to have to start building their deck at some point. Well okay, it's not a fantastic defense, but it's a potential one, another tool in the bag of the pin-fighters.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 04, 2013, 03:20:21 pm »

I've always thought (at least with KC-Goons-Masquerade) that once you've trashed the opponents whole deck you start buying cards one at a time, trashing them with the Masquerade, and your last buy is a victory card which ends the game with a 3 VP lead or something.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 04, 2013, 03:23:27 pm »

With Goons you just deplete the piles once you have enough VP chips to win. The problem is the non-VP attacks (Militia/Ghost Ship/discarding-knight).

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 04, 2013, 03:25:07 pm »

I also kind of like how it mimics Goko adventures, too, by changing your opening options.
Now you can open Colony/Scout like you always wanted to!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 04, 2013, 03:50:50 pm »

It'd be interesting if there's a 0-cost card that gives you one coin when you buy it. This could get around the Masquerade pin.

Of course, then that pile runs out. To counter this, there could be an on-trash clause that returns the card back to the supply.

Keep buying that card as your opponent trashes them. Rack up money to pull yourself out of the pin.

If you pay 0 coin for a Copper, then it's not too farfetched to have a 0-cost card that gives you a coin. There is nothing, aside from the likes of Madmen and Spoils, that returns itself to the supply.
A man has no signature

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 04, 2013, 03:56:59 pm »
+1

Apart from the fact that there's no 0-cost card in this set.

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 04, 2013, 03:59:32 pm »

It'd be interesting if there's a 0-cost card that gives you one coin when you buy it. This could get around the Masquerade pin.

Of course, then that pile runs out. To counter this, there could be an on-trash clause that returns the card back to the supply.

Keep buying that card as your opponent trashes them. Rack up money to pull yourself out of the pin.

If you pay 0 coin for a Copper, then it's not too farfetched to have a 0-cost card that gives you a coin. There is nothing, aside from the likes of Madmen and Spoils, that returns itself to the supply.

That would mean you need to pair one card with a variation of a three-card-combo. With random boards, this is not likely, and since the card would be dead otherwise and you would not buy a dead card to get a one-shot-copper, this card's only purpose will be to counter pins.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 04, 2013, 04:50:13 pm »
+2

I totally expect a reaction that gives coin tokens by the way. That's the way to get +$ during your opponents turn.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 04, 2013, 04:53:39 pm »

I totally expect a reaction that gives coin tokens by the way. That's the way to get +$ during your opponents turn.

I am also hoping for this.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 04, 2013, 04:55:10 pm »

Sounds reasonable, although it was possible to get +$ in Reactions without using the new coins. Horse Trader's way to give you an extra card could also be used to give you $, Actions or whatever else.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 04, 2013, 04:56:02 pm »
+1

Sounds reasonable, although it was possible to get +$ in Reactions without using the new coins. Horse Trader's way to give you an extra card could also be used to give you $, Actions or whatever else.

True, but coin tokens are cooler.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 04, 2013, 04:58:18 pm »

Definitely. I was just saying maybe there is something wrong with getting +$ on a Reaction other than the specific mechanic to get the +$.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 04, 2013, 05:03:14 pm »
+2

Definitely. I was just saying maybe there is something wrong with getting +$ on a Reaction other than the specific mechanic to get the +$.

Possible, but I doubt it. I'm guessing that coin tokens are the cleanest way to do it and therefore I'm really hoping we'll see such a Reaction.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 04, 2013, 05:08:48 pm »

I come out with a few ideas (without names) using this wonderful ideas that are Coin tokens :

-Card 1-
Action, cost $3
Set aside 2 Coin tokens. At the start of your next turn, take them.

Please note that it is no duration card, so you can play it every turn, and hey duration cards give you a bonus only on that turn and the next one ? Here, you instead sacrifice an action a turn in order to gain a more flexible benefit, and if you manage to play several of them, or TR-KC-Procession them, why not...

-Card 2-
Victory, cost $6
Worth 2 VP --- When you gain this, take 2 Coin tokens.

So you buy it, and you can spend another extra $2, this turn or later if you missed the province. I think it should be right at 6, like Farmland and Harem which are worth the same amount of VP.

-Card 3-
Action attack, cost $4
+1 action, gain 1 Coin token. Each other player with more Coin tokens than you chooses one : he discards down to 3 cards in hand, or he returns one Coin token to the supply.

This one leaves me with a doubt : at least it's a non-terminal CT-gainer, but it can lead to boring games as you can't choose to save your CTs for later without being targeted by the attacks ! But on the other hand this concept of "card that attacks player with more CTs than you" seems fun to me. So what ?

Then, what about a card that also gives you Coin Token on reaction (for example when an opponent plays an attack card, or when you discard this outside of Clean-up phase like Tunnel, or... ) ?
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.