Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Preview #1: Baker  (Read 95190 times)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Preview #1: Baker
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 10:19:45 am »

In itself, it seems like a rather weaker $5.  Compare to other similar $5 cost cards like Market, Bazaar, Treasury, etc.  How often would you actually want to save the coin token rather than spend it.  Even other cantrips seem more powerful and significant like Scheme or Caravan. 

Early game, you would almost always spend it as the power increase from $4 to $5 and $5 to $6 is too large to ignore.  I suppose late-game is where it would shine in evening out money for VP cards, but then again, if you've been using up your tokens early game, you may not have the most stored up in the vault (pun intended).

I would guess it is a pretty bad in engines.  Spending $5 for a $1-cantrip there is usually not what you want, you often can't gain them via Workshop variants, and $1 does not help much for megaturning.  Saving your money is not that much of a help because you can manage your income quite consistently anyway.
In BigMoney/Slogs I think that's more of a help, smoothing the $7s or $9s in BigMoney, and smoothing the $3,$4,$5,$6 (whatever you wanted) in slogs might be interesting...

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 10:20:09 am »

I'm also quite confident that my Gypsy Camp will be in the expansion (+2 actions, + 1 coin token)
with the additional setup rule so if baker and Gypsy Camp is on the board you can open 7$/2$

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 10:21:09 am »
+1

I hope we'll also see a card (possibly a Treasure?) that says something like "at clean-up, get one coin token per unspent coin".

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 10:21:49 am »
+2

You have to play coin tokens before playing treasures.

What will my Venture reveal? How many coin tokens do I need to play? AAAHHH!!!!!

I can only imagine the horror of tracking the size of your discard pile so you can know how much your Phil Stones are worth before playing them. *mind explodes*
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

heatthespurs

• Spy
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 10:22:05 am »
+9

We can now have 4/4 opening!

Treasure Map / Treasure Map?
Sea Hag / Sea Hag?
Scout / Scout?

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 10:22:28 am »

I'm also quite confident that my Gypsy Camp will be in the expansion (+2 actions, + 1 coin token)
with the additional setup rule so if baker and Gypsy Camp is on the board you can open 7$/2$

King's Court/Cellar FTW!
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 10:22:41 am »
+1

I think the opportunity cost is too high in engines. It will mostly be bought when you have $5 and one buy, and would usually buy a silver.

Wow, Treasure Map/Treasure Map is pretty good.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 10:24:39 am »

procession feast =)
risky opening but if it hits its great.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 10:27:21 am »
+1

In itself, it seems like a rather weaker $5.  Compare to other similar $5 cost cards like Market, Bazaar, Treasury, etc.  How often would you actually want to save the coin token rather than spend it.  Even other cantrips seem more powerful and significant like Scheme or Caravan. 

Early game, you would almost always spend it as the power increase from $4 to $5 and $5 to $6 is too large to ignore.  I suppose late-game is where it would shine in evening out money for VP cards, but then again, if you've been using up your tokens early game, you may not have the most stored up in the vault (pun intended).

I think you'd be crazy to rank Market above this in most cases. If both are available, I see very few scenarios where I want more than one Market, and probably not early; besides that one +Buy, it's Bakers all the way down.

You can turn a ton of $4 hands into $5 hands, or get a Province with a crappy hand, or guarantee consistency in Duchy dancing, or pull a double-Province in a board that doesn't really lend itself to them. With Market, you just get to buy an extra thing this turn if you have the money.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:28:53 am by Stealth Tomato »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 10:29:13 am »
+4

We can now have 4/4 opening!

Treasure Map / Treasure Map?
Sea Hag / Sea Hag?
Scout / Scout?

Oh I hadn't thought of that. You can now open with two of the cards which are specifically designed not to allow you to open with two of.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 10:31:27 am »
+1

I think you'd be crazy to rank Market above this in most cases. If both are available, I see very few scenarios where I want more than one Market, and probably not early; besides that one +Buy, it's Bakers all the way down.
But I think Markets usually are not good cards either, especially if you already some of them.

And in an engine, I probably prefer Markets over most Bakers.  Yes, $1 flexibility may be useful, but so is the possibility of buying 8 Estates.  If I don't have the need for saving up the coins, it's a Peddler for $5, and that is overprized.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 10:32:02 am »
+1

You can turn a ton of $4 hands into $5 hands, or get a Province with a crappy hand, or guarantee consistency in Duchy dancing, or pull a double-Province in a board that doesn't really lend itself to them. With Market, you just get to buy an extra thing this turn if you have the money.

But you might want to buy Market in angine deck, because it provides a crucial +buy. As said, I don't see Baker in any engine deck.
And if you have an engine, there are other cards at $5 or lower, even if you already have eniugh buys.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:33:03 am by Watno »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2013, 10:32:21 am »
+1

Also the expansion sybol are compasses.. That's a bit surprising I think. I see scientists incoming, and probably an architect or Builder.

I think compass is actually a shout-out to freemasonry, which is/started as a guild.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2013, 10:33:03 am »
+2

Posted this to BGG, I see no reason not to post the same content here, even though some of it people have already talked about.

The card itself isn't the most exciting, but they can't all be, right? $5 cantrip +coin with a bonus is a fairly normal thing (Market, Treasury, Highway, Junk Dealer, Bazaar etc.), so this fits in there. I'd say it might be about average with those, but I'd really need to see just how valuable saving the coin is. Normally, early buys matter more than later ones, so you probably want to use that coin token soon-ish. Then again, there's lots of possible tricks you can do with them to know just how good it is.

What this card really shakes up is the openings. 5/2 openings just got even better, with a 6/2 opening being a thing. Hello, turn 1 Gold. Or Gold/Chapel or the like. Of course, 4/3 can keep up with 5/3 openings as Donald Mentioned, and occasionally, a 4/4 opening will be a very strong thing. Normally though, I expect 5/3 to be better. If there's good $5's on the board like Witch, Mountebank, Wharf or the like, 5/3 might even be better than 6/2, actually. Either way, one thing is for certain: This card's mere presence is going to lead to faster games on average.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 10:33:41 am »
+2

opening with Alter may be good?

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2013, 10:33:52 am »
+6

But I think Markets usually are not good cards either, especially if you already some of them.

And in an engine, I probably prefer Markets over most Bakers.  Yes, $1 flexibility may be useful, but so is the possibility of buying 8 Estates.  If I don't have the need for saving up the coins, it's a Peddler for $5, and that is overprized.

Yes, but I think people chronically overestimate the number of scenarios where consistent full deck-draw is easily achievable. More common are decks that draw ~50% of their cards, where the income smoothing becomes HUGE.

The number of times I've won by buying eight Estates is dwarfed by the number of times I've won by buying my 5th Province. (e: and in many of those cases, I would have likely won anyway had I bought two Provinces instead)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:39:58 am by Stealth Tomato »

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2013, 10:36:33 am »
+1

Oh, I missed that one. Yeah that one looks good as well. And you're guaranteed to have a non-terminal $5 on the board.

I guess this expansion might also contain a good opening $6.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2013, 10:37:18 am »
+3

You have to play coin tokens before playing treasures.

What will my Venture reveal? How many coin tokens do I need to play? AAAHHH!!!!!

I can only imagine the horror of tracking the size of your discard pile so you can know how much your Phil Stones are worth before playing them. *mind explodes*

He didn't say that.

"in your buy phase, before buying cards, you can cash in any number of coin tokens for +$1 each"

That's the same as the rule for Treasure cards (you must play them before buying).

I hope we'll also see a card (possibly a Treasure?) that says something like "at clean-up, get one coin token per unspent coin".

I feel like the balanced cost for this would be about $7, and it would still be overpowered in Colony games.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2013, 10:39:15 am »

I'm hoping we see more cards that change the rules. Anyone care to venture a guess at how often the initial coin token will be used in the first two turns? I'm going to say about 80%, with most of the remaining 20% being because you want to grab an early $6 or $7, or grab a guaranteed Province (in a Tournament game) or Platinum as quickly as possible. Although in the latter two cases opening Baker/$3 instead of $4/$3 might be quicker.

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2013, 10:39:48 am »
+1

Oh, I missed that one. Yeah that one looks good as well. And you're guaranteed to have a non-terminal $5 on the board.

Even opening Gold might be a great idea, it will really boost your economy and you might be able to skip Silver.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2013, 10:40:16 am »
+4

I think people are underestimating the power of this card. Already, the setup rule really changes things, and I do think being able to save coin tokens can be very crucial, more crucial than some realize. And, yes, in engines, this card can work out nicely. So far, I am loving this expansion. And, I was one of the people who thought it would be possible to get tokens to spend even without mats.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2013, 10:40:20 am »

Coin tokens work exactly like I predicted. (well, except you can't spend them during your action phase).

Bwa ha! You've got quite the selective memory! As I recall, you were SO CERTAIN the coins would be spent during your Action phase to boost other cards. Spending them during your Buy phase for $1 a pop is how everybody else predicted they would work.

There are no $6 cards in the set, although there could easily be cheaper cards that allow you to spend $6 on them for a bonus.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2013, 10:41:46 am »

I feel like the balanced cost for this would be about $7, and it would still be overpowered in Colony games.

It could have a limit on how many coin tokens you can get.

Also excepting a coin token salvager (maybe giving half the cost in coin tokens?)

@LastFootnote: Oh yeah, i totally forgot we had the cost distribution.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:42:55 am by Watno »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2013, 10:41:59 am »

Coin tokens work exactly like I predicted. (well, except you can't spend them during your action phase).

Bwa ha! You've got quite the selective memory! As I recall, you were SO CERTAIN the coins would be spent during your Action phase to boost other cards. Spending them during your Buy phase for $1 a pop is how everybody else predicted they would work.

There are no $6 cards in the set, although there could easily be cheaper cards that allow you to spend $6 on them for a bonus.

I actually predicted that coin tokens would work the way they did, but everyone else thought that you needed a mat for them to work like that.

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2013, 10:43:27 am »

I think people are underestimating the power of this card. Already, the setup rule really changes things, and I do think being able to save coin tokens can be very crucial, more crucial than some realize. And, yes, in engines, this card can work out nicely. So far, I am loving this expansion. And, I was one of the people who thought it would be possible to get tokens to spend even without mats.

Agreed. In games where you don't have spammable +buy, the ability to bank money until you can use it is really big. Potentially a really good card in slogs too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.