Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Guilds!  (Read 6518 times)

Warrior

• Golem
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Guilds!
« on: June 01, 2013, 01:18:06 pm »

I have been checking the forum off and on for the past week and I can't help but feeling disappointed. Ever since isotropic went down, it seems this site has been declining. There is much less activity than there used to be, and the discussion is no longer being led by insightful, experienced players. I miss the good old days when I could come on here and read a good article about a card or participate in an intriguing discussion. Just because Isotropic is gone doesn't mean we have to stop enjoying Dominion or stop having insightful conversations. Let's get this site back to its glory days.

Warrior

P.S. Who can't wait for Guilds???
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:26:22 am by Warrior »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointment
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 01:38:12 pm »
+1

I'm pretty sure the Guild previews and then the release will coause activity to go up again.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 01:43:36 pm »
+2

Hey! Previews are supposed to start on Monday. Sweet.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 02:07:10 pm »

That's the problem of bulletin boards. When the old discussions don't disappear, there's no reason to discuss them again and then we run out of stuff to discuss on. Agreed that Guilds will make this forum more active for a while.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 05:29:39 pm »
+1

If you'd like to rehash the same tired arguments and beat the same dead horses for the benefit of the newbies, I am all ears.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 06:10:33 pm »
+6

There is much less activity than there used to be

The forum stats disagree with you.  This May was slow, but April and March were more than solid.

and the discussion is no longer being led by insightful, experienced players.

And I'm just going to flat-out disagree with you here.  Plenty of experienced players are still discussing things in the various threads.

I miss the good old days when I could come on here and read a good article about a card

Ah, now that's different.  There are only so many articles to be written, and except for DA cards, most of them have already been written.

Let's get this site back to its glory days.

Ah yes, the halcyon glory days of (looks at forum stats)... January 2013.  Man, it feels almost like yesterday.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 06:54:19 pm »
+1

The forum stats disagree with you.  This May was slow, but April and March were more than solid.

Are you including the forum game posts in that number?

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 07:34:40 pm »
+1

I miss the good old days when I could come on here and read a good article about a card

Ah, now that's different.  There are only so many articles to be written, and except for DA cards, most of them have already been written.
That's only partially true. There are still a lot of cards without articles. Just in the base set, we have:
Moat, Village, Workshop, Bureaucrat, Feast, Militia, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Council Room, Festival, Library, Witch, Adventurer.

Now many of those cards don't entirely need an article to themselves (for instance village or smithy), but several of them are much less intuitive. For example, I would be interested in a good player's evaluation of when to use Feast or Adventurer (beyond "rarely").

And similar analyses could be done for many of the later sets as well.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 08:26:25 pm »

I'm assuming the forum stats don't include those (just as personal stats don't).  I may be incorrect about that, but I don't think I am.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 08:54:35 pm »
+1

That's only partially true. There are still a lot of cards without articles. Just in the base set, we have:
Moat, Village, Workshop, Bureaucrat, Feast, Militia, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Council Room, Festival, Library, Witch, Adventurer.

Now many of those cards don't entirely need an article to themselves (for instance village or smithy), but several of them are much less intuitive. For example, I would be interested in a good player's evaluation of when to use Feast or Adventurer (beyond "rarely").

Actually, I think an article about Village could be really useful as it's one of the best examples of opportunity cost to show newer players.  Smithy, maybe not as much.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 08:57:10 pm »

I'm assuming the forum stats don't include those (just as personal stats don't).  I may be incorrect about that, but I don't think I am.

I think you're wrong. First Mafia game was played in May 2012, and subsequent months show a rapid increase in the number of posts on the website (from all them forum games).

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 09:03:22 pm »
+1

Actually, I think an article about Village could be really useful as it's one of the best examples of opportunity cost to show newer players.  Smithy, maybe not as much.

Whoever decides to write an article on Village should open the article debunking that EHow article on "How to play the village in Dominion". Who knows what newcomers might have taken it seriously.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 11:18:56 am »

and there we are.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 07:45:25 am »
+2

I have been checking the forum off and on for the past week and I can't help but feeling disappointed. Ever since isotropic went down, it seems this site has been declining. There is much less activity than there used to be, and the discussion is no longer being led by insightful, experienced players. I miss the good old days when I could come on here and read a good article about a card or participate in an intriguing discussion. Just because Isotropic is gone doesn't mean we have to stop enjoying Dominion or stop having insightful conversations. Let's get this site back to its glory days.

Warrior

P.S. Who can't wait for Guilds???
I can't really afford to enjoy Dominion anymore.  There's other games that don't cost me anything to play, and it's hard to compete with free. 

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 05:50:39 pm »

There are far less new topics and articles written about Dominion on here is my point. I used to be able to check here daily and see new topics and a lot of activity. Now I check about once a week and see very few new threads. Its just the truth that the Dominion forums are much less active than they were last year or even this January. And now you don't see as many experienced (lvl. 40+ iso) members active on here, definitely less than 6 months or so ago. I am glad the Guilds previews brought more people back though!

Warrior

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 10:44:00 pm »

I can't really afford to enjoy Dominion anymore.  There's other games that don't cost me anything to play, and it's hard to compete with free.

You're not the only one to express this sentiment, pops, so please don't think that I'm picking on you personally.... I just don't understand how a player with hundreds of posts and thousands of games can say this and mean it.

Had you spent that time productively, you could have earned tens of thousands of dollars.  There's nothing fundamentally wrong with that choice... I've certainly spent a comparable amount of time playing.  But since Dominion has been worth that much to you, why quit now over $40?
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 10:54:52 pm »

You're not the only one to express this sentiment, pops, so please don't think that I'm picking on you personally.... I just don't understand how a player with hundreds of posts and thousands of games can say this and mean it.

Had you spent that time productively, you could have earned tens of thousands of dollars.  There's nothing fundamentally wrong with that choice... I've certainly spent a comparable amount of time playing.  But since Dominion has been worth that much to you, why quit now over $40?

Hmmm... I interpreted that as sarcasm, but I could be wrong though.
Also, I think Warrior is very confused.

To OP:

Let's see, there were just some articles written about caravan and pillage, so that statement was pretty clearly false.
WanderingWinder, ragingduckd, DG, MicQsenoch, and others are all top players who post frequently. There are others as well, and Stef has just popped up again.

I very much agree with Kirian.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 08:49:20 am »
+3

To OP:

Let's see, there were just some articles written about caravan and pillage, so that statement was pretty clearly false.

both of those articles were posted after OP's post went up. before that, the last card article was posted on May 2, nearly a full month earlier. OP was correct.

WanderingWinder, ragingduckd, DG, MicQsenoch, and others are all top players who post frequently. There are others as well, and Stef has just popped up again.

they post frequently, but one could make the case that they post about Goko and rating systems more than they do about actual Dominion games and cards. OP's statement was that there is A. less discussion and that B. that discussion is not being led by the top players. both of those seem to be true.

there are less game report posts, less articles written (or updated) recently, and less detailed analysis (annotated games, 'Dominion Academy, etc) style posts. i think OP had a great point. of course, there are good reasons for all of it. the forums have expanded to include other strategy games, isotropic shutting down turned off dominion for many players, and a fair amount of the strategy space around dominion has already been discussed.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 05:41:11 pm »

To OP:

both of those articles were posted after OP's post went up. before that, the last card article was posted on May 2, nearly a full month earlier. OP was correct.

they post frequently, but one could make the case that they post about Goko and rating systems more than they do about actual Dominion games and cards. OP's statement was that there is A. less discussion and that B. that discussion is not being led by the top players. both of those seem to be true.

there are less game report posts, less articles written (or updated) recently, and less detailed analysis (annotated games, 'Dominion Academy, etc) style posts. i think OP had a great point. of course, there are good reasons for all of it. the forums have expanded to include other strategy games, isotropic shutting down turned off dominion for many players, and a fair amount of the strategy space around dominion has already been discussed.

Thank you for restating what I meant in a more clear manner. Glad to see some more activity with the new previews!

Warrior

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 05:56:41 pm »

ragingduckd wrote his Hovel "article" on May 25th.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 10:28:23 pm »

What I find interesting is that my Rebuild article has been on theory's blog for two months, and it's still not on the wiki page.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 10:51:34 pm »
+1

What I find interesting is that my Rebuild article has been on theory's blog for two months, and it's still not on the wiki page.

...so copy it over yourself? it probably took as long to make this post as it would to update the wiki yourself.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 02:38:21 am »
+1

What I find more interesting is that it is not linked in the card list.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.