Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is Bandit Camp really that good?  (Read 1150 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Is Bandit Camp really that good?
« on: May 31, 2013, 02:45:41 am »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130530/log.516a6b31e4b0bfc0432391f9.1369982389098.txt

I try some Gardens thing, which I misplayed a bit (played the wrong actions in the early stages, giving me lots of $3 hands when I could have had $4)

I don't get how my opponent's deck was so fast. Opens Silver/Worker's Village (what?), gets a lot of Bandit Camps, and does a Bandit Camp/Pawn engine. Which manages 4 Provinces in 14 turns, and 6 Provinces in 16 turns. I mean, that rivals Jack-BM, while giving +Buy along the way. It doesn't seem right for it to be that fast...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Re: Is Bandit Camp really that good?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 04:37:42 am »
+2

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130530/log.516a6b31e4b0bfc0432391f9.1369982389098.txt

I try some Gardens thing, which I misplayed a bit (played the wrong actions in the early stages, giving me lots of $3 hands when I could have had $4)

I don't get how my opponent's deck was so fast. Opens Silver/Worker's Village (what?), gets a lot of Bandit Camps, and does a Bandit Camp/Pawn engine. Which manages 4 Provinces in 14 turns, and 6 Provinces in 16 turns. I mean, that rivals Jack-BM, while giving +Buy along the way. It doesn't seem right for it to be that fast...

I would open this game Silver/Jack. Next, if I happen to stumble on $6 next round and my opponent mirrors I'd probably go only-money-DoubleJack.
The more likely scenario is that I don't, and then I'd start adding Bandit Camps. If I get enough villages to make it likely to play cards post-jack, the value of pawn and other villages goes up.
I'd still play with two jacks. I don't buy gardens until pretty late in the greening stage.

Now his plan somewhat resembles this. Although opening the workers village is a bit strange, he only buys cards he actually can use, and he adds a Jack pretty soon after.
Apart from his opening buy I'd say he played this pretty well. Sacrificing the mining villages is a nice touch. And off course he has a bit of luck, but nothing unreasonable I'd say.

You on the other hand buy a lot of terminals in a Double Jack deck. You draw an enormous amount of cards you can't use and start greening very early. Committing yourself to Gardens this soon can't be good. If your opponent would have responded (double gardens on turn 11 or 13 instead of province) you're completely lost. Even if the gardens slow him down on provinces, the duchies are still there. Your deck just isn't set up to buy anything more expensive then gardens, and his is. In that sense I think the game ended a lot closer then it could have.
Join the Dominion League!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.022 seconds with 21 queries.