Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Getting destroyed by adventurer  (Read 1221 times)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
Getting destroyed by adventurer
« on: May 29, 2013, 06:44:45 pm »
+5

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130529/log.5158def5e4b0ee7f08a599e4.1369862997083.txt

You should post that one publicly. Definitely one of the weirdest games I have ever seen. Adventurer and Wandering Minstrel as Tunnel activators? Dark, dark times we live in.

So, opponent was someone reasonably good, I think rating 5300 or so. I thought it was a fairly straightforward stables-game with a single junk dealer, but lo and behold, wandering minstrel + adventurer for tunnel enablers and I'm crushed. What just happened?

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: Getting destroyed by adventurer
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 09:19:58 pm »
+1

Wow, that was unexpected. WM cycles and helps connect Adventurers, and Adventurer+Tunnel gives great action-based coin. I guess it makes sense.

I would worry about deck clogging. Playing WM cleans up the top of the deck, but Adventurer leaves it uncertain again, so I don't know how that works out. He only had one Crossroads, so you'd think at some point he'd draw a Tunnel/Copper hand and stall. But obviously I'm wrong about that.

On the flip side, I don't think Junk Dealer plays well with Stables--you want the Coppers around so Stables doesn't stall, and there's not a ton to be gained from trashing your shelters because you don't have a card that benefits from playing a lot like Monument or an attack.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:26:23 pm »
+1

Happened to me once too! Edit: nvm, I won by a good bit actually. Huh.
I'm wary of adventurer/tunnel now, but I still don't think it's very good though.
However, as mentioned, Stables+Junk Dealer isn't that strong, and I guess the Wandering Minstrel tips the scales to the tunnel/adventurer player.

I'm surprised your opponent didn't get a junk dealer; it would be excellent for trashing those coppers so that adventurer get better cards.
Also, I think you would probably want more stables and that the adventurer would be useless without more tunnels.
Now I want to try this set out; I'm not sure that Adv/Tunnel dominates.

Also, prettified log (thanks to AI's search engine): http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130529/log.5158def5e4b0ee7f08a599e4.1369862997083.txt
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:52:16 pm by heron »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:53:23 pm »
+1

WM is a convincing Tunnel enabler because even though its search space is small, it's very spammable. It doesn't sound particularly great as one, though.

I would think that Stables is better than Adventurer at finding the Golds. Personally I would get a JD at $5 to clear out Shelters, then get Stables at $5+, WM/Tunnel at $3-4, and maybe throw in a Crossroads or two. Open with Silver/Woodcutter. A Stables-based engine that tries to gain free Golds this way sounds okay in theory.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 11:02:22 pm »

Eevee and I have a longstanding argument. I think Adventurer is the worst card in the game by a mile; he doesn't. This the first log he's ever thrown at me though where I went, "Huh, Adventurer WAS good, there."
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.