Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Band of Misfits as Hermit?  (Read 2459 times)

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Band of Misfits as Hermit?
« on: May 28, 2013, 02:49:24 pm »

Just checking - if you play Band of Misfits as Hermit, and then don't buy anything, should the BoM-Hermit be trashed at the end of the turn and gain you a Madman? Because on Goko it doesn't, and I *think* that's a bug, but Band of Misfits is weird enough that I thought I'd check here before posting it on getsatisfaction.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
Re: Band of Misfits as Hermit?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 03:20:13 pm »

Yeah. The Band of Misfits remains whatever it was played as until it leaves play. That means anything that happens to Hermit during clean-up should happen to BoM-as-Hermit.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 04:49:10 pm »

I'm not so sure about that.
The Hermit text says "When you discard this from play...", which I can interpret in 2 different ways:
1. When you discard the Band of Misfits, it isn't Hermit anymore, so it doesn't have the last part of the text, and therefore isn't trashed and you don't get a Madman.
2. When you discard the Band of Misfits, 2 things tries to happen at the same time: The Hermit text and the turning back to Band of Misfits, and you can therefore choose yourself what happens.

So reading directly from the card texts, I don't see how you must trash it and gain a Madman.
Unless the "When you discard this from play..." actually means instead of discarding it, but that would be inconsistent with other parts of the game (when gain effects happens after the gaining).
But I can easily be mistaking something. Any other opinions or more explanation please?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:51:57 pm by Simon (DK) »

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 05:01:06 pm »
+3

From the rulebook:

Code: [Select]
If you use Band of Misfits as a card that does something during Clean-up, such as Hermit, it will do that thing during Clean-up.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 05:47:31 pm »

From the rulebook:

Code: [Select]
If you use Band of Misfits as a card that does something during Clean-up, such as Hermit, it will do that thing during Clean-up.

Ah yes, ty :)
As I said, I only went directly from the card texts (which isn't always enough).

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 04:25:31 pm »

I'm not so sure about that.
The Hermit text says "When you discard this from play...", which I can interpret in 2 different ways:
1. When you discard the Band of Misfits, it isn't Hermit anymore, so it doesn't have the last part of the text, and therefore isn't trashed and you don't get a Madman.
2. When you discard the Band of Misfits, 2 things tries to happen at the same time: The Hermit text and the turning back to Band of Misfits, and you can therefore choose yourself what happens.

So reading directly from the card texts, I don't see how you must trash it and gain a Madman.
Unless the "When you discard this from play..." actually means instead of discarding it, but that would be inconsistent with other parts of the game (when gain effects happens after the gaining).
But I can easily be mistaking something. Any other opinions or more explanation please?

This one is tricky, but if you read it carefully, you shouldn't need the explanation in the rulebook.

I think you're right on your second interpretation, that two effects happen when you discard it and you can choose the order of those two effect. The two effect are (1) that the card is trashed and you gain a Madman, and (2) that the card turns back into BoM. But the key thing here is that both of those effects happen after ("when") you've already discarded the card, i.e. it was a Hermit when you discarded it. So even if you choose to turn it into a BoM first, the other effect will still happen, it's already in queue. So it doesn't matter at all in which order you resolve the two effects.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.