Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: What cards have a funny/weird thematic interactions?  (Read 53983 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: What cards have a funny/weird thematic interactions?
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2013, 07:39:20 pm »
+2

One of the nice things about having provinces is that you can get explorers to search your land and they'll find gold for you. The same can't be said for colonies. I guess, they're not up to the challenge.

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2013, 07:58:21 pm »
+6

A throne room improves a bridge, but not a princess.

Knights are known for their chivalry. If two knights fight, they both die. But if a knight is attacked and has, say, a wandering minstrel with him, he can run away and sacrifice the minstrel instead; that way both knights survive. Perhaps this dishonorable behavior is how Sir Vander ended up with a bounty on his head.

You can't use a scrying pool to spy on someone with a lighthouse. If you try, I assume you are "blinded by the light."

Julle

• Bishop
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2013, 04:34:07 am »
+1

First, you donate money and Estates to the church in the Chapel, in the hopes of being blessed with a highly productive populace. After a while though, it becomes eerily clear that the dominant religion in Dominion-Land definitely isn't catholicism; when the Chancellor, Baron and Coppersmith wander into the Chapel, only to disappear forever...
At least they are properly buried there because the local Graverobbers can easily find them*.

(*unless there's a bridge or a highway built on the graveyards)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 04:36:05 am by Julle »

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2013, 12:03:39 pm »
+3

Despite its presumed perceptiveness, Watchtower considers King's Court and Throne Room as exactly the same card.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:05:19 pm by SheCantSayNo »

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2013, 06:08:59 pm »
+2

A junk dealer walked into a fortress...
A cultist met an apprentice...
...but they were just thought of as just some peddler.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2013, 06:14:13 pm »

Despite its presumed perceptiveness, Watchtower considers King's Court and Throne Room as exactly the same card.
And even then not worth much anyway.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2013, 09:10:06 pm »

I think that a Hunting Party charging through a Tunnel would look somewhat weird.

Depends on what they're hunting.

Gold, probably. Inanimate objects are easiest to catch. After all, it's dark as hell down there, and the Hounds keep running in walls.

Markov Chain

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2013, 09:59:10 pm »

Not quite.  If you play Throne Room with Watchtower the only action in hand (say because a Golem led you to the Throne Room), you must climb the Watchtower.  King's Court is optional, so you can decide not to play the Watchtower and top-deck whatever you buy that turn.

Just a Rube

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2013, 11:34:45 pm »
+6

A great king decided to hold a masked ball at his court. Sadly, a couple of uncultured goons snuck in and trashed everything.

When marauders attack a kingdom, they leave ruin and desolation behind them. Countless depressed survivors are left devastated as their homes and villages are destroyed. For that reason, a good, wise king may invest in espionage, whether in the form of spies, oracles or scrying pools, in order to predict and ameliorate their attacks. An evil king,  on the other hand, will invest heavily in vineyards, to profit from the sudden demand for cheap booze.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:41:48 pm by Just a Rube »

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2013, 11:40:14 pm »
+1

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3857.msg79541
More Sage jokes!

Sage skips the estate, but goes to the Nomad Camp-He prefers roaming to settling down.
Sage skips the Vineyards-#sober4life
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:41:41 pm by StrongRhino »

Julle

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2013, 02:08:53 am »
+2

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3857.msg79541
Sage skips the Vineyards-#sober4life
So that's why Donald put Gardens to Base set, instead of Vineyards.

Quote from: Donald X. from The Secret History of the Alchemy Cards
Vineyard: This was originally in the main set! And Gardens was in Alchemy (with the costs switched)

Just a Rube

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2013, 09:07:35 pm »
+11

And to continue the alcohol jokes:

What is one of the best enablers for vineyards? University.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2013, 10:52:41 pm »
+9

"...During this time in history, the land was suffering from many curses and the kingdom was overrun with rats. As a result, the cities became very prosperous".

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2013, 05:41:08 am »
+3

"...During this time in history, the land was suffering from many curses and the kingdom was overrun with rats. As a result, the cities became very prosperous".
But the end times were fast approaching.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Just a Rube

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2013, 03:34:36 pm »
+9

A haven is big enough to hide a merchant ship, or even an entire province, but can only fit half of a treasure map.

And speaking of treasure maps, trying to read one and failing is frustrating enough to cause you to burn it. You get so excited, sitting in your throne room pouring over it, that you eventually knock over a lantern and light it on fire. But really, you should have known better than to trust a map from that shady guy at the Black Market.

But hey, it could be worse: your neighbor was so excited to buy a piece of gold at the Black Market, that he didn't notice it was only iron pyrite. Fool me once...

Meanwhile, you both shake your fist at the guy who found a copy of "Tournament Planning For Dummies"; now all the cool Followers and Princesses come to his parties.

Julle

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2013, 02:25:54 pm »
+6

Conspirators really love schemes, but in most situations one is not enough. They do need the plan B to be really effective.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2013, 02:29:52 pm »
+4

What is one of the best enablers for vineyards? University.

There is a default bot in Geronimoo's simulator called Drunk Marine Students: University/Wharf/Vineyard.

Just a Rube

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2013, 09:28:10 pm »
+17

Well, it's not easy for us Border Patrol Agents here in the Watchtower.

You wouldn't believe the crazy things people try to sneak into the country. Just the other day, there was this guy, pretty obviously a thief, who claimed he'd "found" a valuable cache, with lots of gold and copper, in the neighboring kingdom. Well, I told him he could keep the gold, but we had to impound the copper. Potentially infested with the Western Copper Aphid, a dangerous species don't you know. Well he tried to argue, but we just told him to dispose of it in the conveniently located trash receptacle. Ditto with those goons the other day, with a huge load of copper that they'd just bought; I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.

There's also that crazy witch across the border, who keeps trying to ship cursed artifacts into the kingdom. I must have told her a thousand times "You're in violation of the International Convention on Magical Item Trafficking," but she won't stop.

And don't get me started about that obnoxious ambassador, seems like he's always trying to bring an entire estate with him. I tell him "I don't care what your title is, we treat everyone the same" and then secretly impound all his stuff and deny his servants visas.

Everyone entering the country has to fill out an entry form for visas. I can't count the number of would-be marauders checking off the box for Purpose of Visit: "Reducing your villages to ruins." Well, needless to say, those guys get denied visas and kicked out. We're not heartless though, they each get a packet of souvenir candy from the desk bowl. They may be spoilt though, we haven't cleaned it out since Halloween.

Of course, it's not all about preventing people from smuggling things into the country. Occasionally we receive priority shipments that HQ tells us to send strait to the King's Inbox. And we do.

So I hope, next time you invest some copper with your local spice merchant, you remember the brave men and women here at the Watchtower. We're keeping your coppers free of aphids and your villages unruined.

Julle

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2013, 02:24:30 pm »
+15

Well, it's not easy for us Border Patrol Agents here in the Watchtower.

You wouldn't believe the crazy things people try to sneak into the country. Just the other day, there was this guy, pretty obviously a thief, who claimed he'd "found" a valuable cache, with lots of gold and copper, in the neighboring kingdom. Well, I told him he could keep the gold, but we had to impound the copper. Potentially infested with the Western Copper Aphid, a dangerous species don't you know. Well he tried to argue, but we just told him to dispose of it in the conveniently located trash receptacle. Ditto with those goons the other day, with a huge load of copper that they'd just bought; I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.

There's also that crazy witch across the border, who keeps trying to ship cursed artifacts into the kingdom. I must have told her a thousand times "You're in violation of the International Convention on Magical Item Trafficking," but she won't stop.

And don't get me started about that obnoxious ambassador, seems like he's always trying to bring an entire estate with him. I tell him "I don't care what your title is, we treat everyone the same" and then secretly impound all his stuff and deny his servants visas.

Everyone entering the country has to fill out an entry form for visas. I can't count the number of would-be marauders checking off the box for Purpose of Visit: "Reducing your villages to ruins." Well, needless to say, those guys get denied visas and kicked out. We're not heartless though, they each get a packet of souvenir candy from the desk bowl. They may be spoilt though, we haven't cleaned it out since Halloween.

Of course, it's not all about preventing people from smuggling things into the country. Occasionally we receive priority shipments that HQ tells us to send strait to the King's Inbox. And we do.

So I hope, next time you invest some copper with your local spice merchant, you remember the brave men and women here at the Watchtower. We're keeping your coppers free of aphids and your villages unruined.

A letter From the King.

16 April 1563
My Dear Fellow Watchmen:

I must say I really approve your work there at Watchtower. Countless times you have re-directed lots of goods that my Smugglers, Thieves and Universities have produced, to my court. You can't imagine how long it used to take to get that little workshop to work before.  Also, I thank you for training the squires, I sent to you, so quickly into Knights, Thieves, Spies or even Scrying pools! I don't know how you manage to do that, but keep up the good work!

However, I also have some bad news to you. Firstly, last night a thief from our rival kingdom broke in to my castle and stole my entire Harem! I can't believe you didn't even notice him. I mean, there was nothing you could do, when they also stole my Talisman last week, but the whole Harem! My miners spend whole day to build that from the old Quarry.

Secondly, I don't understand why do you refuse to work harder when I'm in a hurry. My loyal Witches, Foragers, Golems work thrice as much when I command them, even the poor Scout at least tries his best.

Yours for the cause of Peace and Brotherhood.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2013, 08:19:13 pm »
+5

The prizes for the local tournament include the hand of a beautiful Princess, a never-ending bag of gold, and a crowd of loyal followers.

But for some reason everyone goes for the damn horse.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2013, 08:47:51 pm »
+1

The prizes for the local tournament include the hand of a beautiful Princess, a never-ending bag of gold, and a crowd of loyal followers.

But for some reason everyone goes for the damn horse.
Don't forget the crown itself which is always left behind.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2013, 03:45:53 am »
+1

Butcher like rats. Rat meat for everyone !

Katran

• Pawn
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2013, 05:09:41 am »
+11

I had a bot game earlier where I butchered many rats into feasts, and made money off the deal. Suckers.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2013, 05:31:50 am »

Butcher and Baker together make rat pies.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2013, 05:43:27 am »
+3

Let's butcher Rats into a Harem. Ugh, disgusting.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.