Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Author Topic: What cards have a funny/weird thematic interactions?  (Read 54144 times)

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
Re: What cards have a funny/weird thematic interactions?
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2013, 09:42:02 am »

just my guess:

The Library is full of knowledge, going into it can enhance the administration of the kingdom. But the capacity of the brain is limited, your king can only remember up to 7 thing if he just spent time researching in the library. The most efficient way to use the library is to lean from the books, use them in practice, then go back to the library to lean more, then put new knowledge in practice...

And when you go to the library, you can pick which book you would like to read, instead of reading through all of them.

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:59:55 am by Gveoniz »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2013, 09:58:15 am »
+2

And when you go to the library, you can pick which book to would like to read, instead of reading through all of them.
But the books about treasures and victories are so good that you've got to read and re-read them every time you go there!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2013, 12:45:05 pm »
+1

Moneylender: I'd like to speak with the King.
Guard: He's very busy right now, but we shall ask him if he is willing to see you right now.
*a few minutes later, in the Library*
King: Why have you interrupted my research of the land and my studies on economic theory?
Guard: My Liege, a moneylender has asked to see you.
King: Bah, send him away.

Seriously, what in the world is going on with Library thematically? Does the King go there in his spare time or something? And why does it let you skip actions? Is it a central hub for all your staff?

I once considered making a Smithy that can't draw Actions dead - then i noticed that's what Library is if you play it from a normal 5 card hand... So my question would be: What the heck do a Smithy, a Library and some Catacombs have in common???

I think this is what Donald meant when he said that in the early days he didn't think much about card names.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2013, 02:30:35 pm »

I once considered making a Smithy that can't draw Actions dead - then i noticed that's what Library is if you play it from a normal 5 card hand... So my question would be: What the heck do a Smithy, a Library and some Catacombs have in common???

I think this is what Donald meant when he said that in the early days he didn't think much about card names.

And, well, in general, throughout Dominion, even in later expansions, vanilla effects like +Cards and +1 Action don't tend to have any meaningful way of being reflected in card names.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2013, 05:52:23 pm »

You can go to the Warehouse and get stuff (cards), but you have to put back exactly as much as you took out.  However, it need not be worth as much.

A similar principle applies to the cellar, but for some reason you put things in the Cellar before you take other things out.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2013, 05:55:51 pm »

You can go to the Warehouse and get stuff (cards), but you have to put back exactly as much as you took out.  However, it need not be worth as much.

A similar principle applies to the cellar, but for some reason you put things in the Cellar before you take other things out.

But you don't put back.  You discard.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2013, 06:28:44 pm »

You have to take exactly 3 things out and put three things back. But you can take out an entire King's Court, a Grand Market and Village and just put back three measly coppers!
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2013, 03:41:52 pm »
+3

You put it in the back of the Warehouse. (They come back to the front eventually~)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 25, 2013, 01:20:20 pm »

Guard: He's very busy right now, but we shall ask him if he is willing to see you right now.
King: Why have you interrupted my research of the land and my studies on economic theory?

Seriously, what in the world is going on with Library thematically? Does the King go there in his spare time or something? And why does it let you skip actions? Is it a central hub for all your staff?

You search a Library for books, so the card "searches your deck for things other than actions. Why does it really have to make 100% sense thematically. Counterfeit gives money that doesn't exist. That's pretty close to fake money, so meh, it's good enough.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 25, 2013, 01:25:51 pm »

You search a Library for books, so the card "searches your deck for things other than actions. Why does it really have to make 100% sense thematically. Counterfeit gives money that doesn't exist. That's pretty close to fake money, so meh, it's good enough.

I'm pretty sure you misread Catacombs, which is also a Smithy variant, as Counterfeit...

Edit: Typo
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:56:18 pm by Asper »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #185 on: August 25, 2013, 04:12:30 pm »
+8

Easy: they're all examples people point to when people complaining about Dominion having no theme.

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 26, 2013, 12:34:22 am »
+9

Although, now that I think about it...

I previously determined that, since +action cards are represented by groups of people (e.g. Village), thus Necropolis must be providing groups of Zombies.

Libraries and Smithies increase your local economy, represented by letting you draw more cards.

But Zombies don't need books; they eat brains not use them. So where do you get more Zombies for your Necropolis? The Catacombs.

QED

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 26, 2013, 04:02:04 pm »
+4

But Zombies don't need books; they eat brains not use them. So where do you get more Zombies for your Necropolis? The Catacombs.

It's all so clear now! Reading in a Library is good for your brain, and Zombies love good brains. That's why Library draws an additional card for Necropolis!

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 26, 2013, 08:14:04 pm »
+7

It's all so clear now! Reading in a Library is good for your brain, and Zombies love good brains. That's why Library draws an additional card for Necropolis!
Although that brings up questions about the Lovecraftian horror that is Shanty Town. When other people (cards) are around, they act just like a Necropolis. We've already determined how disturbing that is. But when no one else is looking? They act as a super Laboratory, or even a good-sized City. What research are they conducting? Where do those extra inhabitants come from? WHAT ARE THEY HIDING?

Of course, as an academic, I'm contractually forbidden to publicly speculate about the disquieting relationship between University and two related cards: Necropolis and Altar.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 26, 2013, 08:25:06 pm »
+4

Although that brings up questions about the Lovecraftian horror that is Shanty Town. When other people (cards) are around, they act just like a Necropolis. We've already determined how disturbing that is. But when no one else is looking? They act as a super Laboratory, or even a good-sized City. What research are they conducting? Where do those extra inhabitants come from? WHAT ARE THEY HIDING?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2013, 12:05:32 pm »
+2

Building a Moat does not keep out unwanted guests from your Masquerade ball.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2013, 12:29:24 pm »

Building a Moat does not keep out unwanted guests from your Masquerade ball.
http://www.online-literature.com/poe/36/
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2013, 02:36:00 am »
+13

And lo, in the fourth year of his majesty's reign, his copper and silver mines brought him an unprecedented windfall of 5 coins. Greatly pleased, he joins his trusted advisors (Although not the creepy bald one. What is with that guy?) to discuss the proper course of action.

King: "Well, my most excellent friends, these 5 coins may prove our path to greatness."
Harold the Herald: "Indeed, Sire. Looking throughout the landscape, I know of many great allies we may be able to purchase with this wealth."
King: "Well by all means, my boy, show them in!"

A man with a helmet and a large sword enters and kneels impressively before the throne.
Harold: "Sire, this man is the legendary Margrave. He has fought in many wars and conquered many lands. With his aid, we shall be better able to gather the resources of our kingdom. If we're lucky, he may strike our foes as well, forcing them out of their own holdings just as he strengthens our own."
King: "Astonishing! What an honor to have him at this court."
Margrave: "I do not forget the honor."
The margrave bows once more and leaves.

A new man enters, huddled in shadows. An aristocratic and eerie presence surrounds him.
Harold: (shuddering) "Majesty, this is the Count. He is a man with a reputation. They say he continues to exact his price from you even after you would have the sure loyalty of any other man. He will conceal from you things in your own court, sow graft in our bureaucracy by patronizing his copper-mining friends, or even attempt to undermine parts of the land."
Count: "Business is business, your majesty."
King: "What do you do besides this?"
Count: (with a knowing and condescending smirk) "I have a lifetime of political savvy. If need be, I can execute every member of a corrupt and decedent court like that."
The count snaps his fingers, and in another room, all the inhabitants beg for mercy.
King: "I'm unsure of this. Your price is a heavy one. With that much wealth, I could easily buy a duchy instead, expanding my lands."
The count snaps his fingers once more, and the map on the king's table transforms, to include significantly more land.
King: "But... How?  :o"
Count: "Everything is possible with the aid of the count, sire."
He bows, and departs.

King: "You weren't kidding, Harold. We have some of the greatest men in the kingdom at our disposal."
Harold: "That's only the beginning, sire. The brave Hunting Party can scour an entire kingdom from top to bottom to find your lost holdings in the course of a single morning. The mad and seemingly unhinged Cultist controls a vast network of like-minded allies, who will tear your foes' buildings to ruin in order to appease their heathen gods. The wicked Mountebank has ruined countless lives by devaluing the currency of countries he pretends to befriend... and today, for the first time, he is ours to purchase."
A raggedy man surrounded by flies walks into the room.
Man: "Hey, don't forget me!"
King: "Wait. Aren't you the janitor?"
Man: "Don't try my patience. I've been at the back of the line all day. Here's my offer: 5 coins, or I'm out of here."

The man picks his nose and wipes it on a tapestry while the King stares in silence.
King: "Who are you supposed to be?"
Man: "A Junk Dealer. Hey, can I buy that there copper mine?"

You have to admit, it's pretty weird that his services cost as much as they do.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2013, 02:40:24 am »

While I knew the punchline while reading that whole thing, it was still pretty great.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2013, 03:27:59 am »
+9

The man picks his nose and wipes it on a tapestry while the King stares in silence.
Was expecting "so do you want me to get rid of this Masterpiece or not?"
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2013, 11:28:06 am »

Warfreak, that's amazing. I'd replace it, but that would be plagiarism. +1, my friend.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.