Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How often do you achieve a higher Age than is necessary?  (Read 3690 times)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
How often do you achieve a higher Age than is necessary?
« on: May 20, 2013, 09:18:51 pm »
+3

For example, if you have at least 20 points and a top card of Age 4 or higher, but the Age 3 achievement is still available. How often do you achieve Age 4 before Age 3 (necessarily on different turns)?

I did this once a few days ago when I had exactly 20 points and a top card of Age 6. I had one more action remaining in my turn and needed 2 achievements to win, and an opponent had The Pirate Code as a top card waiting to take away a couple of [1]s in my score pile. Neither of my opponents were in a position to achieve Age 3 after a single action.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
Re: How often do you achieve a higher Age than is necessary?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 02:12:46 am »

Yeah that's pretty much the only instance where you will do that.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 08:22:43 am »

If there are multiple Ages available for achieving, I usually achieve the lower Ages first only if my opponent is likely to achieve them before me if I don't achieve them first. If he doesn't have a card with a scoring dogma on his board or his scoring card is so slow that one activation won't be enough, getting to the required score will take him at least two actions. But even if he doesn't have a card with a dogma that returns cards from my score pile, he can just meld one from his hand and activate it on the same turn, before I get to react to it. Of course, I could be wrong in doing this since I'm not a great player.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:23:57 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:22:31 am »

It comes up more often in partnership, if I can claim the 3 or 4, but my partner can't claim the 4.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 10:22:54 am »
+4

I think of it this way: I count how many actions it takes for him to either take the low achievement or deny me the high achievement.

If he has nothing on his board that can do either, then I take the high achievement.  This is because it takes only two actions to deny me an achievement (e.g., meld -> execute Vaccination / Combustion / etc.), but it takes him three actions to claim the low achievement (e.g., meld -> execute Bicycle -> claim achievement).

Echoes, of course, is different ...

HB

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 11:52:30 am »
+1

I take the high achievement if my opponent could deny it next turn.

hoff

• Swindler
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
    • Google+ profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 01:13:10 pm »

This is especially worth considering with Echoes. If you only have 25 points because of the bonus on Thermometer, it's really easy for that to evaporate from any number of dogma actions (demands or shares), so you might want to claim the 5 this turn and the 4 next turn.

On the other hand, in two recent games, I got clever and scored a higher achievement first, which then allowed my opponent to claim one. For example, in 2p echoes (7 achievements required), I have 35 points and a 7 top card and I already have achievements 1-3. My my opponent has a 5 in hand, a 5 foreshadowed, and 16 points. I'll often do something like claim 4 and 7, "just in case he does something to my 7 or score pile." Then my opponent pulls off some play I didn't expect like forecasting Steam Engine and claiming the 5, greatly prolonging the game.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:14:20 pm by hoff »

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 02:04:14 am »
+1

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.