Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Cards that literally depend on the Kingdom  (Read 15431 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Cards that literally depend on the Kingdom
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2013, 12:38:18 pm »

While I seriously doubt that it would actually be the best move; here's a couple cases where you might prefer Conspirator to Silver:
[...]

Jester (you'd rather your opponent hit Conspirator than Silver)

Why? Because a Silver for their deck would be better? Well then it would also be better in your deck, because it doesn't collide with your own Jester.

I meant if your opponent was going heavy Jester... presumably you are not. If he hits your Conspirator, it would be a tough decision whether to take it himself or give you one.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2013, 01:00:46 pm »

That kinda feels like the problem of hitting someone's Silver with Swindler. It probably messes with their deck composition more to give them the Swindler, but it's common to get worried that it will lead to getting attacked yourself. If you're hitting Conspirator in a kingdom with no non-terminals then you and your opponent probably already have as many terminal actions as you can support (or you would rather have another Jester than a Conspirator anyway) so the best move is to give it to them. I mean, it's not as bad as giving them a curse but it's still better than giving yourself another chance at a terminal collision.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2013, 01:10:24 pm »

Well, without a +Buy it's just a sad combo.

Slapping a +Buy on Counting House might have been a nice way to "fix" that card.
I played it once with Counterfeit in the kingdom. It worked beautifully.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2013, 02:49:41 pm »

Slapping a +Buy on Counting House might have been a nice way to "fix" that card.

I guess the easy +Buy is nice, but there is a bit of anti-synergy in that you should no longer use Counterfeit for its primary purpose of trashing Copper.  Also, they both compete at $5 and you should want plenty of both or else you won't be able to collide them.  That should make it pretty tough to play well with any consistency.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2013, 02:56:18 pm »

That kinda feels like the problem of hitting someone's Silver with Swindler. It probably messes with their deck composition more to give them the Swindler, but it's common to get worried that it will lead to getting attacked yourself.
If your opponent bought that Silver, it's the correct play to give him a Swindler, because he obviously prefers Silver over Swindler if he has bought it instead of Swindler. If he got it because you have previously Swindled some other $3 card into the Silver, it's the correct play to give him a Silver.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2013, 03:01:43 pm »

I guess the easy +Buy is nice, but there is a bit of anti-synergy in that you should no longer use Counterfeit for its primary purpose of trashing Copper.  Also, they both compete at $5 and you should want plenty of both or else you won't be able to collide them.  That should make it pretty tough to play well with any consistency.

I was talking about the golem/counting house combo that only needs one counting house.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2013, 03:04:27 pm »

I was talking about the golem/counting house combo that only needs one counting house.

Ahh.  Well, that addresses the price conflict, though the trash-neutering is still valid!

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2013, 03:06:03 pm »

Ahh.  Well, that addresses the price conflict, though the trash-neutering is still valid!

If you don't have enough for double colony/province, just buy back the copper.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2013, 03:10:38 pm »

If you don't have enough for double colony/province, just buy back the copper.

Nah, most likely you want to just skip the trashing and get even more Copper.  The point was that Counterfeit's main use (Copper trashing) is nullified because you would prefer not to trash your Coppers at all.  Probably Counterfeit is still nice, if available.  But I think another +Buy card like Market Square would be almost as good, even though it means Golem+CH doesn't reliably flip the whole deck anymore.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2013, 03:24:40 pm »
+1

That kinda feels like the problem of hitting someone's Silver with Swindler. It probably messes with their deck composition more to give them the Swindler, but it's common to get worried that it will lead to getting attacked yourself.
If your opponent bought that Silver, it's the correct play to give him a Swindler, because he obviously prefers Silver over Swindler if he has bought it instead of Swindler.

This assumes your opponent is making correct strategic moves at all times. :)

(Also it assumes a bunch of other things—just because your opponent bought a Silver instead of a Swindler six turns ago because it was what their deck needed then doesn't mean it wouldn't be better for their deck for it to be a Swindler now.)

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2013, 04:04:34 pm »

Yeah there's some more nuance in the timing than I went into. I was just trying to illustrate that Conspirator being a "good" card doesn't mean it won't be tantamount to dead weight under certain circumstances. Like I said I was going with the assumption that there are no +action cards and all players are skirting the safe edge of terminal density, which now that I think about it may not be the best move when your opponent can force you to gain more terminals.

Also the scenario where someone has a Conspirator and there are Jesters and no +actions in the kingdom is pretty far-fetched and probably means someone is screwing up pretty hard, so there's that.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2013, 11:08:16 am »
+3

It's a shame nobody has done this yet, so I must.

We're talking about synergies between COUNTing House and COUNTerfeit. Do you think this could be improved with a COUNT?

Anyone? Is this mic on?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.